News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Freeman5

Member Name: Freeman5
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Andy Blankenbuehler vs. Savion Glover
 May 3 2016, 03:39:27 PM

This year's choreography Tony is certainly one of the most interesting contests in years. I am leaning towards Blankenbuehler - the movement in Hamilton is integral to its success and is really co-direction of the entire show. Glover's work is always glorious and deserving too. I suspect this category is going to be the closest (it would be great if it were a tie!) Wondering what others think? (sorry, Hofesh Schefter, Randy Skinner and Sergio Trujillo have to be happy with their nomin

Tony predictions -- will and should win
 May 3 2016, 03:31:37 PM

My predictions;

Best Musical: Hamilton

Best Revival: She Loves Me

Best Book: Lin-Manuel Miranda, Hamilton

Best Score: Lin-Manuel Miranda, Hamilton

Best Actor in a Musical: Leslie Odom, Jr., Hamilton

Best Actress in a Musical: Cynthia Erivo, The Color Purple

Best Featured Actor in a Musical: Daveed Diggs, Hamilton

Best Featured Actress in a Musical: Renee Elise Goldsberry, Hamilton

Best Director of a Musical: Thomas Kail, Hamilton<

The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread
 May 3 2016, 08:23:13 AM

Bill Camp, Ciaran Hands and/or Jim Norton - will they cancel each other out or will one of the Crucible actors make it in to the crowded Featured Actor in a Play category? Will King Charles III only get one acting nomination (Tim Pigott-Smith) or can Richard Goulding make it in? Who will get the fifth Featured Actress in a Musical nomination? Looking forward to finding out the answers! (:

May 3 2016, 08:06:44 AM

I wrote down the 6-7 names most likely to be nominated in each category, so I could just check the names off as the nominees are announced. Two categories had way more than 7 though: Featured Actor in a Play - 14 names! Featured Actress in a Play - 10 names! Those two categories feel to me the hardest to predict which way the committee of 50 is going to go...

Will they love or hate American Psycho? This is one of the big questions for me with this morning's nominations. Will there

Apr 28 2016, 05:22:19 PM

Best Play

Eclipsed, The Father, the Humans and King Charles III

Best Musical

Hamilton, School of Rock, Shuffle Along... and Waitress

Best Revival - Play

The Crucible, Long Day's Journey Into Night, Noises Off and A View From the Bridge

Best Revival - Musical

The Color Purple, Fiddler On The Roof, She Loves Me and Spring Awakening

Best Score

Bright Star, Hamilton, School of Rock and Waitress

Best Book

Bright Star,

2016 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards
 Apr 28 2016, 10:57:12 AM

Was Eclipsed eligible last year and not this year? Was Saycon Sengbloh eligible because she was new to the production that opened on broadway? I noticed that Danai Gurira got a special award...

these nominations are all over the place!

Surprised by the poor showing for The Crucible. Hoping it gets tons of Tony love next Tuesday...

My gut feeling is that the Tony committee is going to disagree a great deal with the Drama Desk comittee!

2016 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards
 Apr 28 2016, 10:08:04 AM

It's buffering like mad on my computer ): But from the little I got the nominations are totally bizarre, at least in the Featured Actor categories...

Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
 Apr 28 2016, 10:00:16 AM

Why would they place Shuffle Along... in the revival category? It is so clearly a brand new show in the way that Crazy For You was a reworking of Girl Crazy and My One and Only was a reworking mostly of Funny Face. Shuffle Along... belongs in the new musical category. It will be really surprising to me if the committee chooses otherwise....

Apr 27 2016, 04:54:20 AM

The reviews for Tuck Everlasting were much stronger than I thought they would be. From everything I had read about past productions and previews I expected mixed to negative reviews, yet I found them to be mostly mixed to positive; how does this affect its Tony nominations chances? I felt it would def. get a Scenic Design nomination and perhaps a Lighting Design nomination - is it going to do better than expected next Tuesday? If it does, at the expense of what other musical?

Apr 24 2016, 06:45:59 PM

Here are my one week to go predictions!

Best Musical:

Hamilton; Shuffle Along...; School of Rock; and Waitress

Best Revival:

The Color Purple; Fiddler On The Roof; She Loves Me; and Spring Awakening

Best Score:

Bright Star; Hamilton; School of Rock; and Waitress

Best Book:

Hamilton; School of Rock; Shuffle Along...; and Waitress

Best Director:

John Doyle, The Color Purple; Scott Ellis, She Loves Me; Thomas Kail, Hamilton; D

will the OCC nominations be livestreamed? if yes, LINK please!
 Apr 19 2016, 10:30:21 AM

I am wondering if there will be a livestream of this morning's Outer Critics Circle nominations?

Lortel Nominations!!!
 Mar 30 2016, 08:17:16 PM

When I saw there were no acting nominations for Eclipsed I thought it must be because it was given an ensemble award; it's inexplicable to me how none of the amazing actresses were nominated.

The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
 Apr 30 2015, 01:45:31 PM

I am going to make my case for why I think Chita Rivera is going to win. Remember: nobody is wrong or dumb until the envelope is opened on June 7th. Some of us will be "right" and others "wrong". I love all of the actresses nominated this year. I think Chita is going to win because I think there are enough older ("Ladies Who Lunch" and their older gentlemen counterparts) who will cast their votes largely for her. I think younger voters will siphon off in three directions, with a majority goin

Tony Snubs
 Apr 28 2015, 10:58:33 PM

For me the biggest mistake came in the Best Orchestrations category - I think it's because the nominators don't understand what orchestrators do and what constitutes  award worthiness in the category - Bruce Coughlin's magnificent, exceptional, phenomenal and brilliant orchestrations for the revival of On the Town. He really should have won the Tony for his work.

The forementioned Scott Pask for The Visit is another one.

As for acting, I would pick Rob McClure, Jay

2015 Tonys who you would vote for thread
 Apr 28 2015, 03:22:15 PM

MUSICALS

Best Musical: Fun Home

Best Revival: On the Town

Best Score: Jeanine Tesori and Lisa Kron, Fun Home

Best Book: Lisa Kron, Fun Home

Best Actor: Tony Yazbeck, On the Town

Best Actress: Chita Rivera, The Visit

Best Featured Actor: Andy Karl, On the Twentieth Century

Best Featured Actress: Sydney Lucas, Fun Home

Best Director: John Rando, On the Town

Best Choreography: Joshua Ber

Question about livestreaming of Tony nominations
 Apr 27 2015, 09:49:14 AM

Refresh my memory: I think the livestreaming can be found right on the Tony Awards site? Anyone have an exact link?

I had a great deal of trouble getting the livestreaming to work last year and missed most of the categories - is it wise to go on precisely at 8:30 or should I try a bit earlier? Would anyone be willing to update live on here just in case the streaming doesn't work? (I gave up on the Drama Desk livestream because it kept dipping in and out so I got some names and not

my predictions for 2015 Tony Awards
 Apr 26 2015, 08:31:48 AM

In regards to Something Rotten! these were only my predictions and not my dream ballot. I have my dream ballot posted on gold derby and Christian Borle is my only citation from this show. It's not my type of show, to put it mildly.

I will throw up if Ken Watanabe is nominated. I know many really liked his performance, but for me I couldn't understand what he was saying and (often) singing too. I felt (for me) he has zero charisma and they (he and Kelli O'Hara as Anna) had no chemis

Apr 25 2015, 05:46:57 PM

I saw the production of Finding Neverland that played at A.R.T., so there may have been changes for broadway; I liked the show but felt while it had great moments they were too few and far between. My thinking is that there are simply better shows they can nominate and will do so. But who knows? The composition of the committee is all important, and without knowledge of who's on it, and what there biases might be, anything can happen.

I'm a bit afraid the four On the Town actresses

Apr 25 2015, 07:46:07 AM

I usually do really well predicting the Tonys; let's see how I do this year:

Best Musical:

An American In Paris, Fun Home, Something Rotten!, The Visit

Best Play:

The Audience, Constellations, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, Hand To God, and Wolf Hall

Best Revival of a Musical:

The King and I, On the Twentieth Century, On the Town

Best Revival of a Play:

The Elephant Man, It's Only a Pla

THE VISIT Reviews
 Apr 24 2015, 02:55:53 AM

I saw an earlier production of The Visit and I will never forget Chita Rivera's Cliare, truly one of the most powerful performances I have ever seen. From these reviews and other posts on here, it sounds like the thing that makes this production less powerful and riveting is Roger Rees' performance, esp. his singing voice. I don't get a sense that John Doyle changed the actual show much at all?

I want to express an unpopular opinion about the Lead Actress in a Musical Tony race: I

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You