News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for TheSeafarer

TheSeafarer Profile Photo
Member Name: TheSeafarer
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Most suspenseful play you've seen?
 Apr 29 2023, 09:01:43 PM

I'm a big fan of mystery/thriller plays and was fortunate to see many of them during their heyday in the 1970's on Broadway. There have been a few decent ones in the last decade. Hoping that the Grey House and the Broadway production of the Mousetraps will start a resurgence of this classic genre. 

Here are some of my all-time favorites. 

Deathrap

Corpse

An Inspector Calls

Sherlock Holmes

Sherlock Holmes and t

re: re: re: re: re: re: Top 10 Musicals
 Apr 26 2018, 12:28:11 AM

Double Post

re: re: re: re: re: re: Top 10 Musicals
 Apr 26 2018, 12:28:09 AM

1. The Wiz - 1975
2. Billy Elliot
3. Wicked
4. A Chorus Line
5. Book of Mormon
6. Les Miserables
7. Annie - 1977
8. Dear Evan Hansen
9. Chess
10.Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Runner ups
Hair
La Cage Aux Folles
Damn Yankees
Rockabye Hamlet
Me and My Girl
Dancin'
Candide -1974
Juan Darien
Pacific Overtures - 1976
Sugar Babies

The WIZ LIVE : post your comments and thoughts live during the show here
 Dec 4 2015, 12:05:54 AM

The original Broadway production is etched in my mind forever but, I thought tonight's revival on NBC was highly enjoyable. David Alan Grier was a soulful and hilarious Lion, I had no idea he could sing like that. Ne-Yo was a solid Tinman and brought great heart to his songs particularly "If I Could Feel".  Stephanie Mills can still bring it and  her chill inducing "The Feeling We Once Had" was a passionate prelude to the rollicking night ahead.

&n

I am really shocked that ONE MAN, TWO GUVNORS did not get a Best Play nomination....
 May 1 2012, 09:43:11 PM
Very upset that Guvnors was not nominated for best new play, it was hands down the funniest show I've ever seen on Broadway.
Chess
 May 1 2012, 09:40:36 PM
One of my all-time favorite scores, saw the original Broadway production and enjoyed it very much, though the production design was very flat.

Would have loved to have seen the British production it had a lot more dazzle and pomp than the New York version.

Rant about the 2012 TONY nominations here
 May 1 2012, 09:37:14 PM
Can't believe that One Man Two Guvnors was not nominated for best new play. Also, Oliver Chris should have been nominated.

Hope James Corden wins, glad to see Tom Edden was nominated too.

ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
 Apr 9 2012, 12:20:16 AM
Definitely think James Corden and Oliver Chris are strong contenders for Tony nods.

I agree too about the music, they should cut one of the tunes from the top of the show prior to act one. No other complaints, just an absolute crowd-pleasing production in every sense. A show that is immensely fun and makes the rest of life's toils disappear for two and a half hours, magic.

ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
 Apr 8 2012, 07:41:55 PM
Saw the matinee performance today and absolutely ADORED it. This will be a monster hit. The audience was rollicking with the laughter throughout.

Corden was brilliant, Oliver Chris hysterical, Daniel Rigby superbly silly. Susie Toase and Jemima Rooper were hilarious and Tom Edden as Alfie is among the highlights of a gut-busting, gag-filled and prat falling performance.

Do not miss this show. Guvnors just explodes with laughs in the tradition of the classic old British mu

Ghost Brothers of Darkland Country
 Apr 7 2012, 10:10:46 AM
I've been following this show for the last year or so and truly hope it makes its way to Broadway. Stephen King is a tremendous writer and the stage is one of the few mediums he hasn't tapped yet.

There has been such a dearth of mystery plays over the last twenty years and Stephen King would be the perfect author to revive this popular genre on Broadway.

ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
 Apr 5 2012, 12:51:19 PM
I think Guvnors will be a huge critical hit, whether or not it's a financial success or not who knows? Plays don't generally fare as well as musical transfers and the mostly unknown British cast might keep tourists away.

However, I feel this show will get raves and pretty sure James Corden will be nominated and has good shot at winning a Tony for his performance.

I think it will do well.

ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
 Apr 5 2012, 11:20:17 AM
Seeing this show on Sunday, can't wait. Tried to to see it over the summer in London but, it was completely sold out. Will post a review.

I think it will play well to US audiences. I read that Richard Bean has tweaked the script and altered some of the British cricket references. Who doesn't love a good, broad farce?!

I think it will be a huge hit.

SMASH
 Feb 22 2012, 02:34:00 PM
Maggie Furlong of Huffington Post last week urged fans of the show to skip episode three of Smash because it was cheesy and very weak. It was pretty bad, the kareoke scene I felt was really try to appeal to a broader non-Broadway crowd.

Furlong said that next week's episode it terrific, so we'll see.

Movies that should be on Broadway
 Jun 16 2011, 01:23:42 PM
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. I'm surprised this has never made its way to Broadway.
 Jun 15 2011, 01:13:58 PM
The Bad News Bears.
Bugsy Malone.

Jun 14 2011, 02:24:49 PM
Planet of the Apes.
TONY AWARDS BEST AND WORST DRESSED
 Jun 13 2011, 02:32:15 PM
I thought Whoopie looked like she borrowed her wardrobe from the Wicked Ensemble.
2011 Tony Award Thread
 Jun 13 2011, 02:27:09 PM
Terrific Tony Show last night. Neil Patrick Harris is a consumate pro and should host every year. Great production numbers. Although the duet from Spiderman was rather weak, after after all the barbs and jokes would think producers would want to dazzle a bit more.

I enjoyed the duet of NPH and Hugh Jackman but, I'm not a fan of Jackman, I find him too brash and overbearing.

Frances McDormand looked like a lunatic. It was as if she'd been dozing backstage and they woke her up

A Boring and Mediocre Show
 Jun 13 2011, 02:02:55 PM

I thought last night's Tony Awards was one of the most entertaining I've seen in years. Neil Patrick Harris is a perfect host, he's so polished. How about that flawless rap delivery to close the show, probably written backstage on the fly.

Opening number was terrific, duet with Hugh Jackman and NPH was top notch. There was a nice flow throughout the night and well balanced between presenters and production numbers.

The Tony Awards is hands down the most enjoyable o

Top 25 Favorite Musicals
 Jun 11 2011, 02:31:02 PM
1. Billy Elliot
2. The Wiz
3. Wicked
4. Chess
5. Annie
6. On the Twentieth Century
7. Candide
8. A Chorus Line
9. Rockabye Hamlet
10. La Cage Aux Folles
11. Pacific Overtures
12. A Day in Hollywood/A Night in the Ukraine
13. Sugar Babies
14. Bubbling Brown Sugar
15. 42nd Street
16. Les Miserables
17. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
18. Hair
19. Dam Yankees
20. Me and My Girl
21. Carousel
22. Dancin'
23. Runaways
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You