pixeltracker

Question to all the pianists out there: What was the hardest Broadway piece you've encountered?- Page 3

Question to all the pianists out there: What was the hardest Broadway piece you've encountered?

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#50Question to all the pianists out there: What was the hardest Broadway piece you've encountered?
Posted: 10/14/13 at 12:47pm

Though it may not be the most difficult, the piano part to By Threes from I Love My Wife by Coleman is a glorious spotlight for the pianist in the show. The piano break is reminiscent of Gershwin. I marvel every time I listen to the recording.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

OperaBwayLover Profile Photo
OperaBwayLover
#51Question to all the pianists out there: What was the hardest Broadway piece you've encountered?
Posted: 10/14/13 at 5:43pm

Man, this thread makes me miss piano playing. I never got through all of the songs in my copy of Wicked; "Popular" and "I Couldn't Be Happier" were the easiest for me. Les Miz was pretty fun, too.

Pawnee Bill
#52Question to all the pianists out there: What was the hardest Broadway piece you've encountered?
Posted: 10/14/13 at 7:51pm

Though it isn't difficult, "Wick" in the Secret Garden vocal selections gives the
pianist a great workout. The accompaniment is in the form of a toccata, so you are
tearing away non-stop from first measure to last. Very satisfying.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#53Question to all the pianists out there: What was the hardest Broadway piece you've encountered?
Posted: 10/14/13 at 7:56pm

I once performed "I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face" (the full five minutes-- not just the song), and it gave my pianist some difficulty and that's 1956. We also had a over-zealous Nazi director for the cabaret we were doing who liked to pick tempos for me/her, until I told him I'm doing it my way (and the way Rex Harrison does it on the album) and he can go shove it. (I didn't say "shove it", but I wasn't sweet and pleasant either.)

The published vocal score of GUYS AND DOLLS has a lot of accidentals and weird keys in it, and I've heard a few pianists complain about it. Perhaps a the Vocal Selections folio is less complicated.

Hannahbelle
#54Question to all the pianists out there: What was the hardest Broadway piece you've encountered?
Posted: 5/4/17 at 8:41pm

I've been having a lot of trouble with The Room Where it Happens from Hamilton because it's so fast.

Videos