News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Important Spring Awakening Question- Page 4

Important Spring Awakening Question

AdamIsGodImJesus
#75When children try to act 'growed up'
Posted: 9/7/08 at 12:56pm

To the original poster: Who cares? Does it really matter if people have a negative opinion about Spring Awakening? It's art, and art isn't perceived the same by everyone, and if someone doesn't like it you will not be able to change that.

When I first listened to the music I was not a fan at all. A couple more go-arounds, and actually seeing the show, I became hooked. All of the things that some people dislike (the abstract staging, the book, the choreography) were things that I thoroughly enjoyed. I think that it is one of the most well produced shows I've ever seen (though 75% of that is attributed to the lighting). And that's the beauty of making a piece of theater that's as abstract as it is, is that there are layers to it that people may choose to love, like, or hate.

Just because a couple of people on this board dislike the musical doesn't lessen the integrity of the project. People hated RENT, but that didn't make it lose its Tony or close sooner than twelve years. Most of us don't like Grease, but it doesn't mean that's going to be closing anytime soon.

No matter what opinion you may have, you can't change or deny the fact that Spring Awakening won eight Tonys, touched numerous individuals and a gave a new voice to Broadway. I don't think it will have much of a long-lasting impact, but at least for now, that voice is there.

Furthermore, I would much rather anti-fans of the show have an opinion as to why they dislike it than fans of the show have no opinion at all as to why they enjoy it. So many fans of the show are drawn to it just because it's about young people, or sex or rock music, and they don't really understand it. They don't get the symbolism or the intended nature of the abstract direction. They tend to be a little too two-dimensional, which translates to obnoxious on these boards.

Updated On: 9/7/08 at 12:56 PM

Videos