Love, Loss, and What I Wore.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#1Love, Loss, and What I Wore.
Posted: 3/22/10 at 11:51am

I went to see this "play" last night and what can I say?
I feel the play was very poorly written, and if you are a male I would truly recommend you to skip this, even if you are gay!
The play has no costumess, and the 5 actresses could forget all their lines and it'd be ok, because they are sitting all the time and have all their lives written down.
It has some clever lines and good messages, but not enough to keep me entertained for almost 2 hours w/o an intermission.
The best thing about the play was of course the acting. Fran Drescher was outstanding, Natasha Lyonne was suprisingly good, Jayne Houdyshell was great, and Didi Conn was terrific. Carol Kane on the other hand, couldn't project her voice in a very small theatre, I could barely hear her, and I guess that was a good thing, since it was one of the most annoying baby voices I have ever heard. Her acting was good though. But she even made me appreciate Bernardette Peters' baby voice.
* 1/2 out of *****

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#2Love, Loss, and What I Wore.
Posted: 3/22/10 at 11:55am

I loved this one. I found it clever and touching. And as a male, I didn't relate to it necessarily, but I appreciated what it had to say. And the cast that I saw (Janeane Garofalo, Caroline Rhea, Carol Kane, Joanna Gleason, June Diane Raphael) was absolutely amazing.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#2Love, Loss, and What I Wore.
Posted: 3/22/10 at 12:03pm

I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I've seen this show four times (for Rosie O'Donnell, Mary Louise Wilson, Kristin Chenoweth, and Michele Lee, respectively) and I enjoyed it each time.

Sorry that this was not your cup of tea, muscle.

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#3Love, Loss, and What I Wore.
Posted: 3/22/10 at 12:04pm

I saw the december cast and found it enjoyable and fun. Nothing spectacular.

muscle23ftl
#4Love, Loss, and What I Wore.
Posted: 3/22/10 at 12:21pm

Who were the women in the DEC cast?
How was the stage door?

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

flaemmchen Profile Photo
flaemmchen
#5Love, Loss, and What I Wore.
Posted: 3/22/10 at 12:29pm

I didn't expect to love this show, but I was pleasantly surprised. So endearing and moving, and funny! My cast (Katie Finneran, Natasha Lyonne, Carol Kane, Lucy DeVito, and Capathia Jenkins) was also excellent and had great rapport. I liked the simplicity of the piece, but I can see how it would irk people who expected to get a little more for what they paid. And it is fairly chick flick-y, but that's what the Ephrons do! I hope people keep coming to see it.

"Peace! The charm's wound up." --Macbeth

pc1145N2 Profile Photo
pc1145N2
#6Love, Loss, and What I Wore.
Posted: 3/22/10 at 1:10pm

I enjoyed this as well. The cast that I saw included Rosie O'Donnell, Tyne Daley, Natasha Lyonne and Samantha Bee. I agree that it was very chick-flick like but I enjoyed it anyway.

BTW...Rosie was great at the stage door.

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#7Love, Loss, and What I Wore.
Posted: 3/22/10 at 1:53pm

Saw it with my wife. It was OK. Wife loved it. Bought tickets when Cheno was supposed to be there (I was willing to see her), but she was out sick....

Lynnespock2
#8Love, Loss, and What I Wore.
Posted: 3/28/10 at 12:01pm

While I think this is a play for women and hard for men to understand, there were so many things in this show I related to and I loved it. I had a hard time seeing Carol Kane due to a post in my line of view. Go see it!

Live long and prosper. Marriage equity now!

April Saul
#9Love, Loss, and What I Wore.
Posted: 3/28/10 at 8:20pm

I saw this with the original cast and loved it...really wonderful, and the fact that Rosie O'Donnell did some material that was specifically about her own childhood made it particularly moving. That said, I've heard that it may have taken a bit of a slide in recent months...but when I saw it, it was so good and so universal that it was easy to imagine it lasting a long time, and doing well on tour if they wanted to give that a try as well.

DefyGravity777
#10Love, Loss, and What I Wore.
Posted: 3/29/10 at 4:50pm

I saw this yesterday afternoon and found it to be cute and funny. The guys in the audience were laughing more than the woman. I will most likely go back in May when Doris Roberts and Brooke Shields are there.

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!

cglaid Profile Photo
cglaid
#11Love, Loss, and What I Wore.
Posted: 3/30/10 at 6:13pm

As soon as I read the announcement of Brooke Shields joining the cast, I purchased my tickets. I cannot wait to see this show, especially now with her in it.

From past experience, does Brooke sign/take photos, if she even stage doors at all? Updated On: 3/30/10 at 06:13 PM

muscle23ftl
#12Love, Loss, and What I Wore.
Posted: 3/30/10 at 11:46pm

"From past experience, does Brooke sign/take photos, if she even stage doors at all?"

Brooke is a doll, she tends to sign and take photos and loves her fans. A true class act.

cglaid Profile Photo
cglaid
#13Love, Loss, and What I Wore.
Posted: 5/2/10 at 8:19pm

Right you are! She was very sweet on Saturday night. Wasn't a huge crowd, which was nice.

I saw this on Saturday night. Doris Roberts was out (nice, considering it was her first Saturday night performance), but Monique Fowler was on in her place. I actually loved her - she reminded me very much of Dianne Wiest. Overall, I really enjoyed the show. Think the cast was a bit nervous in the beginning, Brooke Shields and Anna Chlumsky mainly. I didn't like the Madonna bit at all, but otherwise, I don't think there was anything else I didn't really enjoy.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#14Love, Loss, and What I Wore.
Posted: 5/2/10 at 10:12pm

"Doris Roberts was out (nice, considering it was her first Saturday night performance)"

She may have had a pre-existing commitment. Or a migraine. Or a death in the family. Or god knows what else. Sheesh.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Videos