pixeltracker

Question - H2S in Business 1995 vs. 2011 revival

Question - H2S in Business 1995 vs. 2011 revival

zamedy
#1Question - H2S in Business 1995 vs. 2011 revival
Posted: 6/8/11 at 9:48pm

One of my new current obsessions is the rousing 11 o'clock number "Brotherhood of Man".. not from the current revival but from the 1995 production. The performance the cast gave at the Tony Awards that year was AMAZING. Lillias White was beyond amazing. If you want to pick yourself up on a down day, watch the clip. I also recently saw the revival cast perform the song on The View (they also did a superb job, though I enjoyed the '95 choreography more). My question is.. did the '95 revival add the 'SISTERS!' part, and is the current revival only men (with the exception of the secretary character). Did they also expand the singing part in this song specifically for White's character? There's no question her performance made the number a triumphant knock-out. After seeing her performance, the current one just fell short for me and left me wanting a bit more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV2zOsRSS7s

LuPonatic Profile Photo
LuPonatic
#2Question - H2S in Business 1995 vs. 2011 revival
Posted: 6/8/11 at 10:15pm

I believe the women only came out on the Tony Awards. During the regular performances, Miss Jones was the only female in the song the entire time. That 95 revival is very similar to the original until Miss Jones starts singing, then it is unrecognizable the rest of the time.

I am curious to know what came first, Lillias White and they took it to church because of her, or they decided to take it to church, so they hired Lillias White.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#2Question - H2S in Business 1995 vs. 2011 revival
Posted: 6/8/11 at 11:31pm

I found her totally wrong and her singing (though great) out of place, it is not a jazz/scat number.

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#3Question - H2S in Business 1995 vs. 2011 revival
Posted: 6/9/11 at 1:52am

I much prefer the OBCR "Brotherhood of Man". Love me some Lillias White, but still doesn't top the original, for me.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"