Happy Hunting at the Duplex

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#1Happy Hunting at the Duplex
Posted: 11/8/11 at 10:10pm

For years I have been hearing about these mini musical revivals by the Opening Doors Theatre Company at the Duplex. I finally was in New York at a time they were performing and caught a delightful little production of Happy Hunting. Yes Happy Hunting. the Ethel Merman Fernando Llamas musical where Fernando cringed while kissing Ethel. Happy Hunting with Mutual Admiration Society and a cute if very fluffy book from Lindsay and Crouse.

What a pleasant surprise this show was from start to finish. Kudos to the entire wonderful cast, ---- but especially Elizabeth Loos in the Liz Livingstone/Ethel Merman Role. What a wonderful singer comedienne. A cross between Vivian Vance, Ethel herself and her own brand of uniqueness-the girl knows how to sell a number. Check her out!

Fun choreogrpahy on that little stage. Christine Schwalenberg knows how to stage a numbe on a tiny stage. The evening was expertly staged by Suzanne Adams and choreographer Christine Schwalenberg.

Catch this at the Duplex through the 12th. Where else are you going to see Happy Hunting?

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#2Happy Hunting at the Duplex
Posted: 11/8/11 at 10:58pm

I have seen every single Opening Doors production at the Duplex and have loved all of them. I see HAPPY HUNTING tomorrow night. Glad to hear it's a lot of fun. These productions are usually the most fun I have in the theater all year.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#2Happy Hunting at the Duplex
Posted: 11/8/11 at 11:17pm

I must second WAT about Opening Doors being some of the most fun theater to be had in New York. It always wonders me what they are able to do with that tiny little stage. I'll never forget the maypole of telephone cords they did during "Call Me" at Whorehouse Goes Public or the cat caper scenes during "Drat! The Cat"

Can't wait to see Happy Hunting as well and glad to here it's living up to the standard of this fine company.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#3Happy Hunting at the Duplex
Posted: 11/9/11 at 10:41pm

I'm back from seeing this tonight and if'n I do say so I am absolutely delirious! I'm still smiling thinking about the wonderful production. Not being alive to see the original run it was fun to hear the abridged book and make what little sense there was to make out of the plot. (The cast recording really hides how shallow and greedy these characters are!)

Goldenboy- you couldn't have been more right about Elizabeth Loos. This woman has got some serious talent and was a delight. With a voice to knock you outta your seat, boy did she ignite the audience tonight.

As usual the direction and choreography were top notch, and executed with elan but the entire ensemble. Perhaps Encores would find this show a little beneath them, but how great would it be to hear this score with full orchestra and belted by someone like Beth Leavel (or just let Loos do it again)?

If you've never seen an Opening Doors show this one is a winner. Go give it a chance!

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!