pixeltracker

How Can Musical Theater Be Saved?

How Can Musical Theater Be Saved?

gypsymal56 Profile Photo
gypsymal56
#1How Can Musical Theater Be Saved?
Posted: 5/25/12 at 8:47am

Didn't see this posted anywhere. Interested to hear what you guys think.

Scott Rudin, “There are a lot of stories that do not need to be musicalized. The great musicals had to be musicals; most of the musicals that get done now are not necessary. Not the way Clybourne Park is necessary ... Why would musical theater be the only culture that resists newness? It doesn’t make sense. Bands become successes on tumblr. Where’s the tumblr of musical theater? [The problem is] older people are willing to pay for it, and they’re the same audience that’s not going to want something new. It’s a self-fulfilling prophecy. I’d rather go see our future than most musicals. The theater is simply not democratized in any way, and other art forms are."
How Can Musical Theater Be Saved? Broadway Veterans Give Their Advice

Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
#2How Can Musical Theater Be Saved?
Posted: 5/25/12 at 11:42am

Here is the original article that the Vulture piece is a continuation of. It's also a pretty interesting read.
http://nymag.com/arts/theater/features/broadway-songwriting-2012-5/

"You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering." --Harold Hill from The Music Man

gypsymal56 Profile Photo
gypsymal56
#2How Can Musical Theater Be Saved?
Posted: 5/25/12 at 12:17pm

The original article really was great!

"Overstuff our birds with feeling, with meaning. And let’s not get between ourselves and our madness—at least, not in the first draft. "

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#3How Can Musical Theater Be Saved?
Posted: 5/25/12 at 12:38pm

I don't know that it needs 'saving'... But it sure could use some ORIGINAL ideas... Meaning ORIGINAL as in NOT based on source material that has not been done before.

And I enjoed the articles How Can Musical Theater Be Saved? Thank you for sharing!

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

#4How Can Musical Theater Be Saved?
Posted: 5/25/12 at 12:54pm

Was this article written in the 1860's? Or is it just repeating the same old crap written about Broadway a thousand times since then?

And can we write a law that any goofball who trots out the "Musicals MUST be original" has to list all the awesome "original" musicals they are talking about.

Videos