Farewell Follies!

After Eight
#50Farewell Follies!
Posted: 8/12/13 at 6:45pm

Phantomcrazy,

Thank you for sharing your story. It's heartening to know that theatre has the power to provide solace and sustenance in our difficult times. Like you, I have often turned to my treasured composers to help face life's adversities.

Hope things are going well for you now, and that one day, you'll get to see Follies.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#51Farewell Follies!
Posted: 8/12/13 at 7:56pm

I thought in her own way, Jan Maxwell was as good as Alexis Smith.

Obviously, one should beware our recollections after 40 years, but I think Smith played the attitude while Maxwell played the text.

Each was brilliant in her own way. (Normally, playing "attitude" would be a bad thing, but it worked beautifully for Phyllis, who is all hard shell until her feeling finally break through with "Would I Leave You?")

This is the long way of saying "I agree."

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#52Farewell Follies!
Posted: 8/12/13 at 9:16pm

They're both beautiful, and of course Smith is iconic in that red dress, but Maxwell was absolutely sumptuous. From what I can see, Smith played her more icy.

On the other hand, while Peters and Clark were excellent, I don't think we'll ever see a Sally as good as Dorothy Collins. Others PLAY the part, but from what I've seen she WAS the part in a way that modern actresses just couldn't replicate today.

(Just a disclaimer- I have not seen the original cast of Follies. I was only 2 years old at the time. I'm going by clips I've seen, which if you look around, are plentiful)

Updated On: 8/12/13 at 09:16 PM