History of theatrical licensing

missthemountains Profile Photo
missthemountains
#1History of theatrical licensing
Posted: 3/9/22 at 2:55am

I know I posted this a while ago, and I can't find the thread (I sifted through like 30 pages worth of past threads with the word licensing in it to try and find it) but I wanted to ask again since I couldn't remember the answer--how did theatrical licensing start? I know back in the day licensing companies would physically mail catalogues to people, I remember seeing them, but how far back does licensing for plays and musicals actually go? Does anyone know? I imagine that licensing started as a reaction to people just checking out plays from their libraries and just putting them on...but maybe I'm wrong? Anyone care to shed light?

DooWahDiddy Profile Photo
DooWahDiddy
#2History of theatrical licensing
Posted: 3/9/22 at 9:25am

Samuel French started it in the late 1800s. From Wikipedia:

In the late 1800s, Samuel French began publishing contemporary American dramas, and helped the amateur theatre movement by making more plays available to Little Theatres – a rewarding concept that had never before been done in the industry. By the turn of the century, amateur interest in acting had increased enormously. As the quality and quantity of available plays improved, so the number of amateur groups increased. The seeds of the Little Theatre movement were sown. By the time of the World War I, such groups along with the High School societies were the firm’s best customers. Although father and son had long since died, the New York and London entities continued under the capable hands of their managing partners.