Question about traveling to NYC

Techieboi
#0Question about traveling to NYC
Posted: 7/13/04 at 11:37am

Hi! Ive never actually planned a trip to NY by myself, and I was wondering what is the best way to get to the "theatre area" of NYC? If your nice enough to help, start with the best airport to use! (because Im coming from ATL)

Bill63
#1re: Question about traveling to NYC
Posted: 7/13/04 at 12:16pm

Newark, NJ Libery Airport is quite convenient. You can take the AirTran (monorail) from the Airport to the Newark Airport Train Station. Then catch the NJ Transit train to NYC Penn Station. From there you can take the subway or cab to the Theater District. AirTran is Free. NJ Transit is $11.55 one-way. NJ Transit Trains to NYC come by the Airport station roughly twice an hour from 5:00am to 1:00am. I have no experience with Kennedy or LaGuaridia Airport.

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#2re: Question about traveling to NYC
Posted: 7/13/04 at 12:55pm

I've travelled to New York alone several times from different airports, and I like LaGuardia the best. Newark costs more and doesn't offer an interesting ride. It would be around $20 round-trip if you take Newark, and it's a pretty ugly voyage to Manhattan.

LaGuardia, on the other hand, is cheap (you can take MTA, rather than New Jersey transit), fast, and you get a nice subway voyage through Queens on the 7 train. If you get a Metrocard for your stay in NYC, your LaGuardia-roundtrip could cost as little as $5.

From LaGuardia airport, take the M60 bus to Astoria Boulevard in Queens. Get off here (and you might want to explore Astoria, it's fabulous), climb up to the subway line above the street, and take the 7 train downtown to Times Square. Then you get to watch Queens roll past you while on the subway!

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

marlomanners
#3re: Question about traveling to NYC
Posted: 7/15/04 at 10:21am

You can get the subway from JFK for a total of $7 ($5 for the shuttle + $2 for the subway). It takes you straight to the theatre district and takes about 30 minutes. I have found that to be the easiest and most convenient method, providing you don't have a lot of luggage.

www.isawearthlings.com

moljul Profile Photo
moljul
#4re: Question about traveling to NYC
Posted: 7/15/04 at 10:40am

BlueWizard, The only flaw with your plan is that she can not buy a MetroCard at LaGuardia. She would have to have change (coins) to pay the $2 bus ticket to get to the Astoria Subway Station. But I agree it is an easy commute. I haven't tried the new train to JFK but it does sound very simple. And the Newark Air Train is nice as well. My advice would be to look at flights going into all three airports and choose the one that is cheapest or offers you the best travel schedule. I don't think any of the airports are easier than the others.

joeyjoe Profile Photo
joeyjoe
#5re: Question about traveling to NYC
Posted: 7/15/04 at 11:11am

Another flaw... you can't get the 7 train at Astoria Blvd, you can get the N or W, which you can also take to 42nd St-Times Square

Broadwayboobs Profile Photo
Broadwayboobs
#6re: Question about traveling to NYC
Posted: 7/15/04 at 11:21am

I agree with Bill63...fly into Newark..it's so much easier.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. Ralph Waldo Emerson

MusicPos2 Profile Photo
MusicPos2
#7re: Question about traveling to NYC
Posted: 7/15/04 at 8:18pm

Actually, LaGuardia is easier if you plan ahead b/c you can order a MetroCard online. Get an unlimited one b/c you will want to ride the subway a lot while you're there. If you're willing to spend the extra $5, you can get the Airtrain at Kennedy to the Subway and there are MetroCard machines right there. Getting in fron NJ is a pain b/c there is no public transportation into the city past midnight. I would go with Kennedy if I were you.

ponine24601
#8re: Question about traveling to NYC
Posted: 7/15/04 at 8:22pm

fly into newark. i've done it a couple of times when i've been flying home.

"People asking questions, lost in confusion. Well I tell them there's no problems, only solutions." ~The one and only John Lennon

#9re: Question about traveling to NYC
Posted: 7/15/04 at 8:42pm

My vote is Newark as well. You usually get a cheaper flight then if you fly into NYC, The monorail is a breeze, it's a quick trip into the city into the heart of it all.

Be safe and enjoy!

moljul Profile Photo
moljul
#10re: Question about traveling to NYC
Posted: 7/15/04 at 8:48pm

LOL Well I'm so glad we can all come to a consensus and help Techieboi out. I guess the only conclusion is that there are lots of different opinions on the subject.

MusicPos2 Profile Photo
MusicPos2
#11re: Question about traveling to NYC
Posted: 7/15/04 at 8:51pm

Well, we might disagree, but we've given him/her the information to make an informed decision. That's something.

sean martin
#12re: Question about traveling to NYC
Posted: 7/15/04 at 10:36pm

Take the train instead of flying. :)

"That duck was a sexual toy, and it was on display!" -- an unknown Nashville town leader

Millie42 Profile Photo
Millie42
#13re: Question about traveling to NYC
Posted: 7/15/04 at 11:36pm

I would just base it all on the airfare. I am from NC and last time I left from there I flew into Newark and just took SuperShuttle to my hostel in Times Square. But of course, I landed roundtrip for $117. But, if the extra 30-40 doesnt still cost less than something like JFK, go with that because that is in the subway area. (Supershuttle was about $18 each way, if that is helpful)

I dont know if it would save you anything but you might want to see if there are any deals to Islip. I know Southwest goes there. Its not too far and you could just take the Long Island Rail Road if you wanted. But if you arent too skilled at the travelling, I would stick to trying to get close to the city because that leaves less room to get lost.

"My friends have made the story of my life." -Helen Keller

shesings
#14re: Question about traveling to NYC
Posted: 7/16/04 at 12:05am

In all honesty I would get a cab from the airport into the city. I've lived here for 4 years and still haven't gotten up the strength to try to work out all the transfers and things to take public transportation. So via can LaGuardia is the cheapest airport to fly in to. I have taken a bus that goes straight from LGA to the city, either Grand Central Station or Penn Station - your choice. It is like $10 but it picks you up right outside the airport. I've included the link to their site below. Then you can take the 1,9,2,3,a,c,e,n,r,q,w, or 7 train (or the shuttle from grand central)to Times Square - and you're there! The theatre district!
Have fun!

http://www.nyairportservice.com/

Videos