pixeltracker

Wicked-Best Broadway Play?- Page 3

Wicked-Best Broadway Play?

BT Profile Photo
BT
#50re: wicked-best broadway play?
Posted: 8/20/04 at 10:18am

Hey folks -
Wicked is dandy - it is one of those big warhorse musicals with a big cast and big sets and lots of costumes. It is fun to see. It is not for everyone. Some people like other types. Que sera - lets move on.

I sing for myself. I sing when I want, whenever I want to, just for me. I sing for my own pleasure. Do you understand that?

Derek2
#51re: wicked-best broadway play?
Posted: 8/20/04 at 12:09pm

I agree with Emutional. Both Wicked and Avenue Q did a lot for Broadway. It did get many people out to the theatre. As we all know theatre is not what it was like back in the 50's and 60's. There are no more Guys and Dolls; How to Succeed; Funny Girl; Evita's anymore. It's true Wicked does have big sets/costumes/music and casts, but it also has many messages. There is soooo much bashing going on with that show, its a shame. There are some people that have waited forever to see a show based on Oz (other than the Wiz) come to Broadway. Everyone knows about the land of Oz. It's a dream come true for me (im going again tonight and cant wait :)). I think everyone can agree it's not a bad musical so if you dont like it that much fine, if you do like it fine. It's just a Broadway show...and look how much money its raising for Aids and stuff! I think it's one of the few shows out now keeping Broadway alive. Updated On: 8/20/04 at 12:09 PM

#52re: wicked-best broadway play?
Posted: 8/20/04 at 3:02pm

I saw it, and like someone else said on the board, I was VERY VERY VERY disappointed. I expected somehting more like the book, which it was not.

BT Profile Photo
BT
#53re: wicked-best broadway play?
Posted: 8/20/04 at 3:14pm

the book was great - I liked it better than the musical (don't scream - I did like the musical just not as much as the book). The book was a little less cliche and didn't feel the need to tie into the Wizard of Oz so cleanly, I thought. They are different media so I think they were ok to musicalize (yes, that is my new technical term) it as they did... I still preferred the book.

I sing for myself. I sing when I want, whenever I want to, just for me. I sing for my own pleasure. Do you understand that?