News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

history books

Angel Dumott Schunard
#0history books
Posted: 11/8/04 at 3:16pm

Does anyone know of any good books about the history of theater (or theatre, whatever)?

WOSQ
#1re: history books
Posted: 11/8/04 at 3:42pm

There are history books as in textbooks and any number of them will do the trick. I think the one I had was called "History of Theater" and had a red cover. It starts with the Greeks and goes from there.

If you're looking for American Theatre, try "Broadway" by Brooks Atkinson. That will take you up to the 50s and 60s when Broadway was the center of theatre in America, before the rise of regional theatre.

Atkinson was the longtime drama critic for the Times and as was written once, is the reason there is a Brooks Atkinson Theatre on Broadway.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

sean martin
#2re: history books
Posted: 11/8/04 at 4:16pm

The Living Art -- sorry, dont know the author's name.

The Development of the Theatre -- Allardyce Nicoll

Theatre and Playhouse -- Richard Leacroft

I can probably dredge up some more if there's something in particular you're looking for.

"That duck was a sexual toy, and it was on display!" -- an unknown Nashville town leader

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#3re: history books
Posted: 11/8/04 at 6:03pm

I'm currently in a theatre history class, and my book is called "The Cultural History of Theatre" by Jack Watson and Grant McKernie.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#4re: history books
Posted: 11/8/04 at 6:06pm

The "Broadway The American Musical" book based on the PBS six hour series is fantastic. Filled with over 500 color illustrations. I highly reccomend it.

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

sean martin
#5re: history books
Posted: 11/8/04 at 6:38pm

Another excellent one I hadn't considered till now: A Sourcebook of Theatre History. Easily found in any used book store.

"That duck was a sexual toy, and it was on display!" -- an unknown Nashville town leader

musicgal04 Profile Photo
musicgal04
#6re: history books
Posted: 11/8/04 at 9:21pm

The theatre history book that I always have used was written by Oscar Brockett, it has been revived tons of times. The copy I own is from the 70's I think, and my boyfriend has a very recent copy.

musicalmjk Profile Photo
musicalmjk
#7re: history books
Posted: 11/8/04 at 10:22pm

the good old brockett, what a great book. Also Changing Stages by Richard Eyre and Nicholas Wright is a great book, based on a PBS special they did like 3 years ago. it the history of theatre in the 20th century in England and America. I learned alot about a great playwright from it, John Osborne. Look back in Anger, his most important play, ushered in the era of angry young men. I hope it get revived in 2006 its 50th anniversary.

need to defrag my brain.

#8re: history books
Posted: 11/8/04 at 10:31pm

I own "At this theatre" by Louis Botto. It is a playbill display book, and shows virtually every playbill from every broadway show during the 20th century. it is quite fascinating, and i would highly recommend it!

#9re: history books
Posted: 11/9/04 at 12:43am

The book that I used for my History of American Musical Theatre course in college was "Musical! A Grand Tour" by Denny Martin Flynn.

Hope that helps! :)

~Rosalynn

Videos