Little Shop / Seymour Audition

jczelyph Profile Photo
jczelyph
#0Little Shop / Seymour Audition
Posted: 11/29/04 at 6:42pm

I searched for other threads about this but found none so forgive me if this is a repeat post.

I have an audition for our university's production of Little Shop Of Horrors coming up and I would really like to play Seymour. Does anyone have any ideas concerning a good audition piece for this character or any tips about the character or show generally. I'm super-excited about the show and really want a part in it. Any input gratefully received...

"Jane, I've been dealt a blow - I've been dealt a blow, Jane."

DickonDefysGravity Profile Photo
DickonDefysGravity
#1re: Little Shop / Seymour Audition
Posted: 11/29/04 at 6:49pm

The Baseball Game/TEAM from YAGMCB might be a good choice.
Or what about Cellophane???
Break a leg or two!!!

And you think of all of the things you've seen, and you wish that you could live in between ,and you're back again only different than before... After the Sky. -Into the Woods (Jack)

dididda Profile Photo
dididda
#2re: Little Shop / Seymour Audition
Posted: 11/29/04 at 7:04pm

i am currently in rehearsals with this show and part. very excited. at my audition i baisically just threw myself into it as much as i could, don't hold back an dtry to find little things to do that'd make the part your own and give you an upperhand in the auditions.

""the gays love their presents. just wave something shiny in front of their faces, you can get whatever you want. Thats how we got manhattan from the gay indians" -Karen (W&G)"

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#3re: Little Shop / Seymour Audition
Posted: 11/29/04 at 7:21pm

"Purpose" from Ave Q or "Run, Freedom, Run" from Urinetown

Also, don't play Seymour as a nerd. He doesn't know he's a geek. I hate when actor's play the audience's perseption of the character rather than playing the character the way they view themselves.

Belle-arina Profile Photo
Belle-arina
#4re: Little Shop / Seymour Audition
Posted: 11/30/04 at 10:15am

How about "I wanna be a Producer" from The Producers?

"No thoughts within her head, but thoughts of joy.....no dreams within her heart but dreams of love."

Gothampc
#5re: Little Shop / Seymour Audition
Posted: 11/30/04 at 10:39am

Seymour was a role I've auditioned for many times. Don't play him as a cartoon. But you might want to emphasize Seymour's enthusiasm and need to please other people. I don't know how much material you are allowed to sing, but remember Seymour has some high rock notes during the "Meek Shall Inherit" sequence. You want to pick a song that will illustrate you can do that.

Oddly enough, I used to have good luck singing Godspell at "Little Shop" auditions. I'd sing "All For The Best" as a comic song and "All Good Gifts" as the dramatic piece which could show off the high rock notes.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

producersfan2
#6re: Little Shop / Seymour Audition
Posted: 11/30/04 at 8:10pm

But if you're singing anything by Leo Bloom or Charlie Brown or Bobbie Strong, make sure you understand the difference between them and Seymour. While these other characters are cartoonishly neurotic, Seymour is a disenfranchized, broken young man with little hope remaining. He is not a child, he has practically lived his life in a sewer, abused by everyone. He is a slave to his own social inadequacies. On the surface he is sweet and patient, in reality he is desperate and tragic.

Videos