pixeltracker

Mamma Mia! & Fame on CBS... dear lord

Mamma Mia! & Fame on CBS... dear lord

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#0Mamma Mia! & Fame on CBS... dear lord
Posted: 11/27/03 at 12:08pm

all im going to say is WHAT has bway/off bway come to??? Mamma Mia! Used to be a great & fun show... these new people were AWFUL!!! They sounded so off key with this dumb dancing... it looked like a bus and truck non equity tour on cbs... FAME as molly shannons character from SNL jeanie doherty says "dont get me started...dont even get me started" i feel like i was watching a video from one of my HS shows... Happy Turkey Day otherwise =D Updated On: 11/27/03 at 12:08 PM

bestofbroadway
#1re: Mamma Mia! & Fame on CBS... dear lord
Posted: 11/27/03 at 12:11pm

When was Mamma Mia good? (extremely puzzled look) I thought the Macy's video was a very accurate representation of the trash that is called Mama Mia.

BwayTheatre11
#2re: Mamma Mia! & Fame on CBS... dear lord
Posted: 11/27/03 at 12:12pm

I really wouldn't judge them from these telecasts. How is the new Mamma Mia! cast live? Someone just told me that the megamix finale is always pre-recorded in the show. I never knew that. I know none of you like Fame, but it is a fun show. I thought Chicago was awful, but that's just me.

CCM '10!

mmFan Profile Photo
mmFan
#3re: re: Mamma Mia! & Fame on CBS... dear lord
Posted: 11/27/03 at 12:15pm

What do you mean that the megamix finale is pre-recorded? You mean that they are not really singing at the time? I love the finale! It has so much energy!!!!

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#4re: re: re: Mamma Mia! & Fame on CBS... dear lord
Posted: 11/27/03 at 12:17pm

It's been pre-recorded since day one. It was never performed live. Ask people in the show.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

mmFan Profile Photo
mmFan
#5re: re: re: re: Mamma Mia! & Fame on CBS... dear lord
Posted: 11/27/03 at 12:23pm

Wow..I had no idea. So I guess they recorded it again when the new cast started on Oct 21st?

BwayTheatre11
#6re: re: re: re: re: Mamma Mia! & Fame on CBS... dear lord
Posted: 11/27/03 at 12:26pm

Your guess would be right. :)

CCM '10!

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#7re: Mamma Mia! & Fame on CBS... dear lord
Posted: 11/27/03 at 12:41pm

I beg to differ...
Mamma Mia! was friggin' awesome!!!!!!!!!! The choreography was GREAT! So much better than last year's Money, Money, Money.
As for FAME, The Little Shubert should be rockin'. What an amazing song. The lead is HOT, HOT, HOT!!!!!!!!! Just remember, it's not what the theatre critics say, because a critic could not be a critic without Broadway. Think about it and Happy Thanksgiving. Support Broadway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher
Updated On: 11/27/03 at 12:41 PM

BillyLawlor Profile Photo
BillyLawlor
#8re: re: re: re: re: re: Mamma Mia! & Fame on CBS... dear lord
Posted: 11/27/03 at 12:43pm

Mamma Mia was pretty bad, yeah. The talent is gone, and I hate seeing them perform "Dancing Queen" at every single public performance. The song has gotten pretty old.
I don't think Chicago was that bad. That song is old as well, and over-performed, I think. But Brent Barrett was great as usual.
As for Fame, the lead singer was fabulous- Nicole Leach, I believe. I enjoyed the performance overall.

emmamia Profile Photo
emmamia
#9re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Mamma Mia! & Fame on CBS... dear lord
Posted: 11/27/03 at 4:07pm

uuuhhh yeah i agree amneris .... that beginning pose when they were frozen was just hilarious to watch. im just mad i stuck around to see it when i could of gone to the strip to go shop re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Mamma Mia! & Fame on CBS... dear lord

~*~ Little Boys Who Play With Fire Get Their Fingers Burned ~*~ Tanya (Mamma Mia)

Here_I_Go_Again
#10re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Mamma Mia! & Fame on CBS... dear lord
Posted: 11/27/03 at 4:20pm

I thought Mamma mia was fun... without the stage and lights it does loose its touch...However dee looked great and i think before people knock the new cast they ought to give them a shot. to be honest, last years cbs version of MAMMA MIA was not that great. the show loses its fluff without the lights and all the glitter. my opinion only!!!

Princess MimiChica Profile Photo
Princess MimiChica
#11re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Mamma Mia! & Fame on CBS... dear lord
Posted: 11/27/03 at 5:15pm

I thought Mamma Mia was wonderful!!! its a shame so many people are quick to call it 'trash". FAME was AMAZING and that girls voice was increadibl;e!! i loved the parade!!!

Here_I_Go_Again
#12re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Mamma Mia! & Fame on CBS... dear lord
Posted: 11/27/03 at 5:19pm

WELL SAID Princess MimiChica... happy thanksgiving

bestofbroadway
#13re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Mamma Mia! & Fame on CBS... dear lord
Posted: 11/27/03 at 5:47pm

Actually it took 2 hours of agonizing in a theater in New York before I called Mamma Mia trash.

BwayTheatre11
Here_I_Go_Again
#15re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Mamma Mia! & Fame on CBS... dear lord
Posted: 11/27/03 at 7:02pm

Not sure why you trash this how soooo much. It has over 9 productions running including 2 natl tours.... and it continues to thrill and delight audiences everywhere it goes. if you are not a huge fan of the show thats ok... but to trash it like it is a huge FLOP...

mmFan Profile Photo
mmFan
#16re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Mamma Mia! & Fame on CBS... dear lord
Posted: 11/27/03 at 7:13pm

I'm with you! It's an amazing play and sells out really quickly. You always have to book months in advance if you want good seats! That should say it all!!!

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#17re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Mamma Mia! & Fame on CBS... dear lord
Posted: 11/27/03 at 7:20pm

Ditto!
Does everyone realize that Mamma Mia's weekly grosses are right up there with Hairspray? And to be selected to perform year after year, is quite impressive to say the least. It's a MEGA-hit and has such a wonderful story. If you don't like "Dancing Queen" that's like saying you don't like the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. It's just too much FUN, FUN, FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher
Updated On: 11/27/03 at 07:20 PM

BwayTheatre11
#18re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Mamma Mia! & Fame on CBS... dear lord
Posted: 11/27/03 at 7:59pm

Grosses really don't matter when it comes to someone's opinion.

CCM '10!

TJ37148
#19re: re: re: Mamma Mia! & Fame on CBS... dear lord
Posted: 11/29/03 at 10:30am

Ok, so in one sense I agree with this post... The Mamma Mia performance lacked energy... but you can at least give the leads credit for showing up!! ( that's the only thing I can give them credit for! )

As for the new "Broadway Mamma Mia", the only thing I can say good about it, is they have a few of the ensemble members from the 2nd National Tour!

I've now seen all of the U.S. casts, some more than others and some I'd never see again! I fell asleep during the Las Vegas show, no energy at all and all of the dialogue seemed very forced and nothing flowed.

The first National Tour, I saw with Dee Hoty as Donna Sheridan... my gawd what were they thinking when they moved her to Broadway? Monique Lund from the 2nd National Tour would have been a much better choice!

The 2nd National Tour, they are by far the best Mamma Mia company out of the 5 casts I've seen ( 1st, 2nd, Broadway original,current Broadway, and Las Vegas ) The overall energy is better, and the chemistry between the performers is awesome. Not to mention, this company is the best looking and as far as I'm concerned the most talented.

Kristie Marsden and Monique Lund would have been much better replacements as Sophie and Donna on Broadway. I've seen the Broadway company since the October changes and now the fans at the stage door are almost non existant. Used to be a huge crowd there, now, just a few Joe Machota fans are there.

Say what you want about Mamma Mia, but I think if you're seeing the right company, it's a good show. Yep, all fluff... but hey... that's what I'm there for... entertainment and a break from the real world.

mmFan Profile Photo
mmFan
#20re: re: re: re: Mamma Mia! & Fame on CBS... dear lord
Posted: 11/29/03 at 10:56am

I haven't seen the new Broadway cast, but did have the pleasure of seeing the previous broadway cast. They were fabulous! Louise Pitre was incredible. Everyone had great chemistry together! Did you manage to see that cast? If so, what did you think?

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#21re: re: re: re: Mamma Mia! & Fame on CBS... dear lord
Posted: 11/29/03 at 11:49am

I have to add my 2 cents, AGAIN!
The Las Vegas cast was incredible. I was very impressed. They have one quality production going on at Mandalay Bay, and their Donna and Sophie were both outstanding. If you get to Sin City, I would highly recommend seeing it.
As for the new Broadway cast, no one can ever replace the lovely Tina Maddigan... However, the show remains fun and exciting and I'm sure everyone can relate to the characters. They are real deal and the story touches the heart.

BillyLawlor Profile Photo
BillyLawlor
#22re: re: re: re: re: Mamma Mia! & Fame on CBS... dear lord
Posted: 11/29/03 at 11:53am

The new Sophie, Jenny Fellner is adorable, and looks GREAT. I read on Broadway.com that she used to work as a waitress across the street from the theater, and every time someone from the show would come to eat, she would ask to seat them, totally starstruck, and now she's the star! She's so cute- I would love to see her.

mmFan Profile Photo
mmFan
#23re: re: re: re: re: re: Mamma Mia! & Fame on CBS... dear lord
Posted: 11/29/03 at 12:05pm

That's so sweet. Glad that Jenny is getting her chance on broadway

TJ37148
#24re: re: re: re: re: Mamma Mia! & Fame on CBS... dear lord
Posted: 11/29/03 at 12:06pm

Yes, I did have the opportunity to see Mamma Mia when Louise Pitre was there. My favorite is Monique Lund, but out of the women I've seen portray "Donna Sheridan", I'd have to say Louise Pitre is in second place in my rankings. Tina Maddigan is a sweetheart too.