N&R Lyrics?

safety_in_falsehood
#0N&R Lyrics?
Posted: 9/20/05 at 4:57pm

Does anyone have the lyrics to Michael Arden's song N&R? I have only heard it once, at Joe's Pub...so I can't really remember them.

sweeedboy
#1re: N&R Lyrics?
Posted: 9/20/05 at 5:38pm

I only heard the song once as well, but it was beautiful! I wish there was a recording of it somewhere because its a very pretty song. Alas i don't have the lyrics

magic8ball Profile Photo
magic8ball
#2re: N&R Lyrics?
Posted: 9/20/05 at 7:11pm

I'm waiting on the uptown N or R
To Union Square
Today I'm wearing Diesel
Headphones on
I like my hair
I see if I can hold my breath until the train appears
I feel the air squeeze in my lungs and music in my ears
When I see you
With a scarf that's far too long
But I see you
And I start to write a song
God, I want to write a new song
Filled with words that might ring true
I wonder what my life would be if I spent it with you

(edited for copyright)

"Goodness is rewarded. Hope is guaranteed. Laughter builds strong bones. Right will intercede. Things you've said I often find I need, indeed. I see the world through your eyes. What's black and white is colorized. The knowledge you most dearly prized I'm eager to employ. You said that life has infinite joys."
Updated On: 9/20/05 at 07:11 PM

Trisky Profile Photo
Trisky
#3re: N&R Lyrics?
Posted: 9/20/05 at 7:15pm

I'm pretty sure it's "today I'm wearing Diesel." re: N&R Lyrics? (And it's been a while since I've heard it but also pretty sure it's "on weekends take the one.")

"Too young to hold on and too old to just break free and run" - Jeff Buckley
Updated On: 9/20/05 at 07:15 PM

adampascalgal Profile Photo
adampascalgal
#4re: N&R Lyrics?
Posted: 9/20/05 at 7:45pm

Can I just say I LOVE this song too, and Trisky I agree with ya on the changes.

"All they say Is "Trust in What Is Writen." Wars are made. And somehow that is wisdom. Thought is suspect, And money is their idol, And nothing is okay unless it's scripted in their Bible." -Spring Awakening

safety_in_falsehood
#5re: N&R Lyrics?
Posted: 9/20/05 at 8:12pm

Thanks guys for the help!

Hopefully Michael will include this on his new album! Hopefully John will sing it with him, also!

darkmist115 Profile Photo
darkmist115
#6re: N&R Lyrics?
Posted: 9/20/05 at 8:39pm

i LOVE this song! i'm also pretty sure it's today, i'm wearing diesel. who has info on michael's new album?

safety_in_falsehood
#7re: N&R Lyrics?
Posted: 9/20/05 at 8:50pm

All I know about Michael's album (and this is from what I have read so it may not be accuate,) is that it is due out this Spring, will have a blend of pop, rock, and broadway numbers, and it will be produced by Damon Intrabartalo. I think I read this on playbill or theatremania.

darkmist115 Profile Photo
darkmist115
#8re: N&R Lyrics?
Posted: 9/20/05 at 8:55pm

WOOOT! safetyinfalsehood, love the name, btw.
i was listening to an interview damon did on sirius radio's OUT Q with derek and romaine, and he was talking about how he was going to produce it and how it was going to tell a story. he said it'd be out soon, and this was last november. :)
he talked about making sure there were lots of glossy pictures of michael. heh.

safety_in_falsehood
#9re: N&R Lyrics?
Posted: 9/20/05 at 8:58pm

Hehe, thanks...I loved the line "here in a world where there's safety in falsehood..." so sad!

Well, tons of glossy pics of Michael is worth the price of the CD...*drool* He is so cute :)

RentBoy86
#10re: N&R Lyrics?
Posted: 9/20/05 at 9:10pm

can't wait for the CD, love Arden's voice. I wish there was a recording of this song somewhere. I've never heard it and i would LOVE to. who wrote it?

safety_in_falsehood
#11re: N&R Lyrics?
Posted: 9/20/05 at 9:28pm

N&R was written by Michael Arden.

magic8ball Profile Photo
magic8ball
#12re: N&R Lyrics?
Posted: 9/20/05 at 9:46pm

"I'm pretty sure it's "today I'm wearing Diesel." (And it's been a while since I've heard it but also pretty sure it's "on weekends take the one.")"

My bad. I did my best with a rather terrible recording of the song.

"Goodness is rewarded. Hope is guaranteed. Laughter builds strong bones. Right will intercede. Things you've said I often find I need, indeed. I see the world through your eyes. What's black and white is colorized. The knowledge you most dearly prized I'm eager to employ. You said that life has infinite joys."

zzannahk Profile Photo
zzannahk
#13re: N&R Lyrics?
Posted: 9/20/05 at 11:14pm

what about the rest of the song? the john hill part??

magic8ball Profile Photo
magic8ball
#14re: N&R Lyrics?
Posted: 9/21/05 at 12:02am

BWW does not like full song lyrics on the site. It was edited by a moderator.

Updated On: 9/21/05 at 12:02 AM

zzannahk Profile Photo
zzannahk
#15re: N&R Lyrics?
Posted: 9/21/05 at 12:04am

can someone pm me, i have the song but cannot figure out most of the words

13 Profile Photo
#16re: N&R Lyrics?
Posted: 9/21/05 at 12:27am

I wrote these down a while back, and never could figure out a couple of lines, but here's what I've got (starting with John's part)...

John: I f*cking love this scarf
(no idea what he says here) Union Square
Who's the boy with all the hair?
Is he holding his breath, or has he just been in the sun?
It's five past twelve - I hate the N
On weekends take the one
Then I see you
Out of nowhere, I can't breathe
Then I see you
Something air cannot relieve
I see you somewhere happy

(edited for copyright)

"The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans are suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you." - Rita Mae Brown
Updated On: 9/21/05 at 12:27 AM

Labashier
#17re: N&R Lyrics?
Posted: 9/21/05 at 1:09am

Is there anywhere you can hear this song? Now I'm curious :)

courtneyanne Profile Photo
courtneyanne
#18re: N&R Lyrics?
Posted: 9/21/05 at 1:59am

Ditto, I wanna hear it too!

RentBoy86
#19re: N&R Lyrics?
Posted: 9/21/05 at 2:44am

I hope this is on his Cd. He's got really good songwriting skills. Did he write all the music too?

I think he says "marange" of union square. dont know that means.

why was this performed? some cabret act?

teth Profile Photo
teth
#20re: N&R Lyrics?
Posted: 9/21/05 at 2:58am

I wish his album would come out soon.

Seriously...is there any way to hear this song? I've heard of this for over half a year now and I still don't know what it sounds like. re: N&R Lyrics?

amasis Profile Photo
amasis
#21re: N&R Lyrics?
Posted: 9/21/05 at 11:39am

why was this performed? some cabret act?

It was performed at the BARE concerts at Joe's Pub last year. And, I think, at an NYMF event last year. And Adam Fleming and John Hill sang it at the Queer Songbook concert thing.

I think it's kind of bad that I know all those off the top of my head.

safety_in_falsehood
#22re: N&R Lyrics?
Posted: 9/21/05 at 2:38pm

The only way you could hear the song is to get a bootleg, which is probably bad quality anyways, and well bootlegs suck. I will just wait until it is finally released on CD.

JACXR71 Profile Photo
JACXR71
#23re: N&R Lyrics?
Posted: 9/21/05 at 10:29pm

Slightly off-topic, but Michael Arden related nevertheless...I just came across a recording of Michael singing the prologue from his musical 'Ripley,' based on 'The Talented Mr. Ripley.' Pretty impressive, both as a singer and composer. Anyone else heard this or anything else from that show?

If I lay here
If I just lay here
Would you lie with me and just forget the world?

Trisky Profile Photo
Trisky
#24re: N&R Lyrics?
Posted: 9/22/05 at 12:55am

I've heard a couple of the other songs from Ripley at Michael's shows. (Though I hope Michael took heed from the composer whose concert he performed in tonight, always obtain the rights first re: N&R Lyrics? . ) One of the songs was for the character of Marge (think that was her name in the movie, I've only seen the original French movie it was based on) and I don't know what context it comes from with regards to the movie itself, but it's basically her seemingly singing to Tom about what kind of guy Dickie is. The other one is a Tom song which I'm laughing at remembering Michael describe as the equivalent of Elphaba's Wizard and I. It's kind of his, I'm busting out of this joint and I'm going to be remembered as someone, number (the chorus is a bit of "It's me, it's Thomas Ripley" so his comparison was apt).

I'm interested to see where he takes this and what, if anything, becomes of Easter Rising.

As for the earlier discussion about his CD, I believe those initial plans were put on hold and Damon is no longer involved in the production. I don't know if Michael is still planning to do a CD (though I have vague memories of an article where he said he did).

"Too young to hold on and too old to just break free and run" - Jeff Buckley
Updated On: 9/22/05 at 12:55 AM

Videos