Seussical?

iTaLiAn xOx StAr
#0Seussical?
Posted: 10/8/05 at 6:24pm

Can anyone tell me anything about Seussical the Musical? It's the next play my acting company is putting on, and it sounds kind of lame. Has anyone ever been in it or seen it?

lamentingenvelope Profile Photo
lamentingenvelope
#1re: Seussical?
Posted: 10/8/05 at 6:28pm

Some people think it's cute. I think it's suicide inducing. It's SO. DARN. HAPPY. Everyone's HAPPY. The chorus doesn't do anything but GRIN. AND EVERYTHING RHYMES.

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#2re: Seussical?
Posted: 10/8/05 at 8:49pm

it's a musical version of the Seuss book, Horton Hears a Who.....

now, stop being lazy and google it

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

drumtilyoudrop Profile Photo
drumtilyoudrop
#3re: Seussical?
Posted: 1/8/06 at 6:16pm

I saw a high school production of it... it's god awful. The songs aren't very good, and, as someone previously mentioned, EVERYONES happy. Even when Horton is sad, he's cheerful. Annoying.

"We can't go in the fire swamp! We'll never survive!" " Nonsense. You're only saying that because no one ever has."

RENTingFAME Profile Photo
RENTingFAME
#4re: Seussical?
Posted: 1/8/06 at 6:37pm

I remember listening to the soundtrack about a year ago, and thinking... wow this is obnoxious... it's so... happy. lol.

IN CONCLUSION: THIS SHOW IS HAPPY!

Unfortunately it's the musical my theatre is doing this summer as well. Bleh.

Measure your life in love, RENTheads, and keep it always in your heart.

Avatar: Me with Al Larson, Jonathan Larson's father.

ikmbway
#5re: Seussical?
Posted: 1/8/06 at 6:38pm

My school is doing the show this year. I don't want to see how it turns out and usually our productions are good!

Musical_nerd Profile Photo
Musical_nerd
#6re: Seussical?
Posted: 1/8/06 at 6:42pm

I have to disagree with everyone. This is the funnest show I've ever done, and even if its all happy happy- we made more sales then ever before, probably because it's more family geared. Have fun with Seussical, it gives you a right to be 100% silly.

Wanderingchild5 Profile Photo
Wanderingchild5
#7re: Seussical?
Posted: 1/8/06 at 6:44pm

my community collage is doing that for their summer program, I would die If I had to do that musical

I'm Mary ( : I <33 Anthony rapp and Kristoffer Cusick!

nolatheatre Profile Photo
nolatheatre
#8re: Seussical?
Posted: 1/8/06 at 6:49pm

I love the Cast Recording!
It Seems Wonderful!

DirtyRottenGirl Profile Photo
DirtyRottenGirl
#9re: Seussical?
Posted: 1/9/06 at 12:54am

I did this show last summer in my theatre. Everyone who came and saw it loved it. It was our biggest selling musical ever. It's a combination of 12 seuss books into one. I like it because there are so many different styles of music in it. If you have any questions just ask.

StageWhore Profile Photo
StageWhore
#10re: Seussical?
Posted: 1/9/06 at 1:03am

It's fun and completely mindless. I see nothing terribly wrong with the show, and it's very good for bringing in money/family audiences. Just keep in mind it's children's theatre, and you'll be alright.

"`I grow old... I grow old... I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.` What does that mean, Mr. Marlowe?" "Not a bloody thing. It just sounds good." He smiled. "That is from the `Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock.` Here's another one. `In the room women come and go/Talking of Michael Angelo.' Does that suggest anything to you, sir?" "Yeah -- it suggests to me that the guy didn't know very much about women." "My sentiments exactly, sir. Nonetheless I admire T. S. Eliot very much." "Did you say, 'nonetheless'?" - The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler

OddExoticCreature Profile Photo
OddExoticCreature
#11re: Seussical?
Posted: 1/9/06 at 1:27am

I had no idea there were community collages. Even more amazing is that an inanimate creation of various textile pieces put together into a specific form can perform musicals. I'm impressed, but definitely don't be a part of it if it will cause you death. That's never a good time.

--Like an odd exotic creature on display inside a zoo, hearing children asking questions makes me ask some questions too...--

phenom
#12re: Seussical?
Posted: 1/9/06 at 1:31am

I'll throw another vote on the positive side. I caught a high school production of it last year (quite a good high school performance I must say) and absolutely loved it. Went back the next day to see it again.

It's fun and its cute and can be quite funny if done right. Have an open mind and you'll have a blast. A kind of show that makes a kid of an adult for two hours. No shame in that.

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#13re: Seussical?
Posted: 1/9/06 at 1:33am

I saw it on Broadway (my little sister was in love with Aaron Carter).

I don't remember anything about it. I think there were lots of colors.

theatreboi11
#14re: Seussical?
Posted: 1/9/06 at 2:33am

If you like rhyming rhyming rhyming for 2 and some hours then yes it is a cute musical.

(Martha Graham from a letter to Agnes de Mille) "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening That is translated through you into action, And because there is only one of you in all time, This expression is unique. If you block it, It will never exist through any other medium And be lost. The world will never have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, Nor how valuable it is, Nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours, clearly and directly, To keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep open and aware Directly to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open. No artist is pleased. There is no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is only a queer, divine dissatisfaction, A blessed unrest that keeps us marching And makes us more alive than others."

dancindramadude2
#15re: Seussical?
Posted: 1/9/06 at 2:49am

I was in seussical and actually I dont like the show too much, but I played a WIckersham Brother and that was soooooo much fun. I would never do that show unless I was a Wickersham.

Jon
#16re: Seussical?
Posted: 1/9/06 at 9:31am

You know what? Everything in RENT rhymes, too. And everything in CATS rhymes too.

Eastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
#17re: Seussical?
Posted: 1/9/06 at 9:40am

My opinion of Seussical is on a par with my feelings towards Rent and Cats. I never want to sit through any of them again without medication.

twogaab2
#18re: Seussical?
Posted: 1/9/06 at 9:43am

Dosn't anyone understand or appriciate CHARM anymore! Oh GOD!!!!

Just my opinion, I may be wrong.

TWOGAAB "A Class Act" will never die!

Karma76 Profile Photo
Karma76
#19re: Seussical?
Posted: 1/9/06 at 10:48am

I was in this show,I thought I would hate it. I ended up loving it. It is a silly show that is what Seuss is about. It really does give you the opportunity to act very silly. The songs are so much fun to dance to (if you obviously have fun choreography) The encore number of green eggs and ham alone is worth doing it. We ran 2 weeks and in the first weekend we sold out for the rest of the run. We got GREAT feedback. Every Friend or Family member said the same thing, I thought I would hate it but I LOVED it. I think the production I was in was a backed by an extremely talented cast and crew, I bet this show can be down right crappy if done wrong. If everyone is on board to be campy then it works. You take it for what it is worth, a goodhearted show that demonstrates to everyone that no matter what size a person is a persons a person no matter how small

RENTingFAME
#20re: Seussical?
Posted: 1/9/06 at 10:56am

This is making me feel a little better about doing it this summer. I know the choreographer, and he'll make the show fun I'm sure. And if we have similar people to those we had last year, it should be a good time for all involved.

#21re: Seussical?
Posted: 1/9/06 at 11:06am

It depends what version it is. Is it the revamped Cathy Rigby version or the slick 90 minute version created by the Coterie Theatre?

BroadwayAngel2 Profile Photo
BroadwayAngel2
#22re: Seussical?
Posted: 1/9/06 at 11:13am

I'm with some other people. I went into it thinking that I would hate it and I couldn't help falling in love with it. Yeah, it rhymes and it's sort of... cheesy but it's cute and it's fun and being in it really is a blast.

Besides, we sold out EVERY day. We got nothing but compliments which surprised myself and everyone else involved in the cast. But everyone loved it. My school had never sold that many tickets before or gotten such amazing reviews.

Looking back I'm really glad I didn't blow it off because it looked a little stupid. It was the most fun I've ever had!

But wasn't the question to tell you about it? Did anyone? haha basically it's about Horton The Elephant and he finds this clover that holds all of the Who's on it and no one believes him and they all make fun of him and put him on trial and stuff. So you have that story and then the story of JoJo the Mayor's son who gets sent off to boot camp (which is my favorite part) and then Horton's falling in love with Gertrude McFuzz and they end up getting an egg from Mayzie. And the cat and the hat shows up everywhere. It's cute... it really is.

RENTingFAME
#23re: Seussical?
Posted: 1/9/06 at 2:46pm

Yeah, I know even if I don't like it, it will be great for our theatre. It is a great seller for families. Our summer musical always sells out at every performance, but it's nice when you have a show the whole family can go to. A couple years ago we did Forum. Not the most family friendly show. lol. I love performing for kids. Kids laugh at everything. We did A Year with Frog and Toad last winter and did a school matinee... it was great to hear like 200 first graders laughing. Frog and Toad is a cute show, btw, if anyone is looking for more family friendly stuff. :)

Joshua488
#24re: Seussical?
Posted: 1/9/06 at 2:59pm

I'm in a professional production of Seussical right now. It's a very fun show. It's not meant to be taken seriously, so a lot of the smiles and laughs are tongue-in-cheek. If you go in knowing that it is a fun musical based on Dr. Seuss books, then you shouldn't expect it to be anything but smiles and laughter.

And it's selling out at our theatre ridiculously well. The kids (and their parents) are just eating it up.

Videos