Donmar "Cabaret"

children&art Profile Photo
children&art
#0Donmar "Cabaret"
Posted: 3/19/06 at 11:40am

I didnt know that Jane Horrocks ("Little Voice", Bubble from "AbFab") was Sally in the London Donmar Warehouse production of "Cabaret". This would of course inspire the Studio 54 NY version.

Anyone seen this, apparently it is available on video.

Don't f*ck with me fellas. This ain't my first time at the rodeo.

Thesbijean
#1re: Donmar 'Cabaret'
Posted: 3/19/06 at 11:45am

Her performance in LITTLE VOICE is astounding, one of the best of 1998 if you ask me...

children&art Profile Photo
children&art
#2re: Donmar 'Cabaret'
Posted: 3/19/06 at 11:52am

yes i agree, her "Little Voice" was fantastic. if you look back at the 1999 oscar noms, it's a shame to see that Horrocks wasn't in the race for best actress. the thing that gets me is that "LV" was a play before it was a movie, how she could do what she did 8 times a week is astounding.

Don't f*ck with me fellas. This ain't my first time at the rodeo.

The8re phan Profile Photo
The8re phan
#3re: Donmar 'Cabaret'
Posted: 3/19/06 at 2:15pm

I've seen the televised verision, and must say that her Sally wasn't really my cup of tea.

Loved her in AbFab thou

Slotted spoons don't hold much soup
Updated On: 3/19/06 at 02:15 PM

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#4re: Donmar 'Cabaret'
Posted: 3/19/06 at 2:26pm

Jane Horrocks was an AWFUL Sally Bowles, only cast as she was dating Sam Mendes at the time. The Donmar version of the show is a great idea but deeply flawed in execution. The Studio 54 version clearly owes a lot to Rob Marshall.
In depth review of the televised Donmar version

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

BSoBW2
#5re: Donmar 'Cabaret'
Posted: 3/19/06 at 2:35pm

Heh, I agree.

She was painful to watch.
Was it me, or did the audience laugh more with (at?) her than with Alan Cumming?

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#6re: Donmar 'Cabaret'
Posted: 3/19/06 at 2:37pm

She wasn't very good....the woman who played Fraulein Schneider though was AMAZING.

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#7re: Donmar 'Cabaret'
Posted: 3/19/06 at 3:49pm

Horrocks was terrible. Spoke sang and screamed the entire score. Painful to listen to.

Kringas
#8re: Donmar 'Cabaret'
Posted: 3/19/06 at 4:16pm

It's not commercially available. It was shown on television in England, but never released on video or dvd.

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey