News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for gcontini2

gcontini2 Profile Photo
Member Name: gcontini2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Gigi vs. An American in Paris?  Mar 31 2015, 11:57:03 PM
Hi sctrojan65 - I saw both Gigi and AiP, more or less back to back (Saturday and tonight), so maybe this will be useful. First, both pleasantly surprised me that they were MUCH better and more beautiful productions than I would have anticipated. Both have outstanding casts, gorgeous costumes, lighting and scenic design. However, I would have to concur with Loliveve that -- while Gigi is a well-done classic (or classic-looking, since it is a new book) old fashioned musical - there is something
Male songs about being gay  Mar 27 2014, 10:38:57 AM
Check out Andrew Lippa's "Live Out Loud"
Question: what is the term for a song in a book musical that does not advance the plot?  Dec 12 2012, 10:18:21 PM
Thanks, Lyls3637!
Question: what is the term for a song in a book musical that does not advance the plot?  Dec 12 2012, 10:17:23 PM
Thanks again GavestonPS and EricMontreal22...I'm guessing that diegetic might be it... I remember now where I would have seen the term. I think it was in the old Lehman Engel book (maybe it was Words with Music?)... I seem to remember there was something like a whole chapter devoted to it...It's been years since I've seen that or the book, LOL.
Question: what is the term for a song in a book musical that does not advance the plot?  Dec 12 2012, 10:06:26 PM
Thanks GavestonPS, but there is a technical term for a song that is kind of like background music that does not fit those categories...
like when a character is whistling Jingle Bells (because it happens to be Christmas during that scene) or the music being played by a band or on a radio (because it's just there to set the scene for a certain time period) that is in the book musical, but is not OF the songs sung by characters to advance the story...that's the term I know has a name, but can'

Question: what is the term for a song in a book musical that does not advance the plot?  Dec 12 2012, 09:42:03 PM
very funny, especially Blaxx "BRKLYN"

anyway, the term is something like an "exegesis" song...or something like that... any ideas?

Question: what is the term for a song in a book musical that does not advance the plot?  Dec 12 2012, 08:39:03 PM
trying to remember the academic term...for example, if Happy Birthday is sung in a show simply to give background (but not to move plot, expose character, etc)
Anyone know?
Thanks -

Song Word Association Game  Jan 12 2012, 08:47:55 PM
The Last Supper from JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR

"You sad pathetic man - see where you've brought us to
Our ideals die around us and all because of you
But the saddest cut of all -
Someone has to turn you in
Like a common criminal, like a wounded animal
A jaded mandarin
A jaded mandarin
Like a jaded, faded, faded, jaded, jaded mandarin"

_______

New word: Common

Song Word Association Game  Jan 9 2012, 11:34:50 AM
"Watch that tiger shaking hands like a pup there,
That lady dancin on a wire a million miles up there."
from "Join the Circus", BARNUM

____

Saddle

Song Word Association Game  Jan 9 2012, 12:30:28 AM
The Honor of Your Name
(from CIVIL WAR)

"Becalmed"

Musicals That Never Made It To Broadway  Jan 7 2012, 11:15:39 AM
Re: Harmony and Egghumor's post showing the pre-Broadway Philly production that stopped in rehearsals because of money shortages.... That was actually the second attempt and the second failure...

I recall going to a Bway Workshop for the show a few years ago, where a THIRD production team was trying to bring it Broadway... that never found a theater and fell apart, too, so Manilow's dream project has been attempted 3 times, I believe.

Musicals That Never Made It To Broadway  Jan 6 2012, 11:08:37 PM
Harmony

(Barry Manilow's original musical about the Comedian Harmonists in Nazi Germany)

Shows You Loved, But Hated By The Critics?  Dec 30 2011, 12:18:33 AM
Passing Strange
Seussical

Your favorite flops...  Dec 29 2011, 12:27:02 AM
Parade
Merrily We Roll Along
Bombay Dreams

a maybe a nod to
Jane Eyre, Cry Baby, and 13

1 year since Scottsboro Boys closing  Dec 13 2011, 12:07:00 AM
"It shows people hating stuff for no reason." ????

In what way? This video shows the reality of a talented cast that will be broken up by the market reality of a show that is not selling tickets....Nothing more. Why make this into something bigger than it is?

I saw the show both Off-Broadway and on Broadway....and can tell you it really never should have gone "on" Broadway... This, in my opinion, was simply the move of producers whose egos were larger than that of

Venus in Fur vs. Chinglish: which would you recommend?  Oct 22 2011, 01:43:32 PM
Thanks, Goldenboy...Those are all good standbys, but I take it you have not seen Chinglish? I'm just trying to choose between venus and chinglish.
Venus in Fur vs. Chinglish: which would you recommend?  Oct 22 2011, 12:41:57 PM
Hi -
I had planned to see both at some point, but have visitors in town this weekend.
They saw Priscilla last night and loved...Now, they want to see something else fun, a play this time.
Just between these two, Venus and Chinglish, which would you recommend as more mainstream fun?
thanks!

RIP, Sweet Producer, Randall Wreghitt  May 19 2011, 10:50:44 PM
What a shock. Very sad. He was such a wonderful, giving man. Always enthusiastic, always excited to share his old-school producer "let's put on a show" passion, whether teaching at CTI or in conversations at his regular pre-theater spot at Angus McIndoe restaurant. He will be missed...

Catch me if you Can Preview Thread  Mar 24 2011, 11:45:11 PM
Saw the show tonight. I wasn't expecting much based on the demo CD I'd received in the mail, but the show was enjoyable enough.
The Book and surprisingly the Lyrics are tight and well-crafted and there were excellent performances by Tveit, Butz, and Wopat (sorry, either Kerry Butler and/or her role were underwhelming)...
but still, true to my original impression, the Music itself is so very basic and uninspired...A few songs are derivative of older big-band sound show tunes and there is

Your Most Hated Musical  Mar 21 2011, 12:15:11 AM
anything by Frank Wildhorn (Dracula, Scarlet Pimpernel, Jeckyl and Hyde, The Civil War...) Its's as if he wrote each one as a draft in one afternoon....terrible music/unforgivable lyrics.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You