pixeltracker

1 year since Scottsboro Boys closing

CockeyedOptimist2 Profile Photo
CockeyedOptimist2
#11 year since Scottsboro Boys closing
Posted: 12/12/11 at 7:28pm

Just wanted to reshare this video of The Scottsboro Boys on Closing Night. This wonderful show, and one of the best I've ever seen, closed a year ago tonight. I was at that performance and I still miss the show terribly and feel sad that more people didn't have the opportunity to see the show. Anyway, here's a wonderful video to help remember what I thought to be a perfect show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tYtSZlWyvY

singer73192 Profile Photo
singer73192
#21 year since Scottsboro Boys closing
Posted: 12/12/11 at 7:32pm

I so wish we could go back in time and that it could have opened later on in this season. Would have been the definite front runner for the Tonys. Guess we have to be grateful that we saw it at all! It affected me in a way that few other shows have ever done!

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#21 year since Scottsboro Boys closing
Posted: 12/12/11 at 7:33pm

Thanks for the video share! I'd never seen that before, and got a bit teary eyed. I think it was a travesty it didn't last longer on Broadway, as I think it was the most daring musical I've ever seen, and it looked absolutely stunning while doing so. Stroman should have been praised MUCH more than she was for how she made it move so well. The end of 'Make Friends With the Truth' was the most literally jawdropping moment I think I've experienced in theatre. It was difficult, but it was amazingly intelligent the way it continually subverted the emotionality of the piece into something much more complex and confronting.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#31 year since Scottsboro Boys closing
Posted: 12/12/11 at 7:37pm

For some reason I've been thinking about this one a lot lately. Wish to Christ I could have seen it. Go Back Home is a beautiful song.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#41 year since Scottsboro Boys closing
Posted: 12/12/11 at 7:43pm

Thank you for sharing this! This was definitely my favorite show from last season, and I was extremely excited to find out recently that I'll be in Southern California this summer at just the right time to catch the show in San Diego.

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#51 year since Scottsboro Boys closing
Posted: 12/12/11 at 7:56pm

As the others have said, thanks for sharing this. Never saw it before and loved the show.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#61 year since Scottsboro Boys closing
Posted: 12/12/11 at 9:53pm

That video was terribly sad. I cried a bit. 1 year since Scottsboro Boys closing

Emmaloucbway
#71 year since Scottsboro Boys closing
Posted: 12/12/11 at 10:16pm

I'm so sad this had such a short run! I loved teh Book of MOrmon, but I think this deserved the tony. if only it opened in the spring and not the winter.... *sigh*

I miss Scottsboro Boys!

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#81 year since Scottsboro Boys closing
Posted: 12/12/11 at 11:39pm

energy12
#91 year since Scottsboro Boys closing
Posted: 12/12/11 at 11:48pm

It shows people hating stuff for no reason.

gcontini2 Profile Photo
gcontini2
#101 year since Scottsboro Boys closing
Posted: 12/13/11 at 12:07am

"It shows people hating stuff for no reason." ????

In what way? This video shows the reality of a talented cast that will be broken up by the market reality of a show that is not selling tickets....Nothing more. Why make this into something bigger than it is?

I saw the show both Off-Broadway and on Broadway....and can tell you it really never should have gone "on" Broadway... This, in my opinion, was simply the move of producers whose egos were larger than that of the good of the show.

The fact that the box office verified this fact is no sadder than any other show which eventually closes in the harsh economics of commercial theater.. It has nothing to do with "hate".

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#111 year since Scottsboro Boys closing
Posted: 12/13/11 at 12:11am

I hate that this show closed and that has everything to do with hate.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#121 year since Scottsboro Boys closing
Posted: 12/13/11 at 12:23am

Wasn't there a theatre in Philadelphia that was supposed to mount a production of this show? I remember reading that shortly after Scottsboro Boys closed on Broadway, but haven't seen anything since.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

CockeyedOptimist2 Profile Photo
CockeyedOptimist2
#131 year since Scottsboro Boys closing
Posted: 12/13/11 at 12:29am

The Philadelphia Theatre Company is doing it in January and February, but I haven't read anything about casting. It looks like Susan Stroman's original direction and choreography will be recreated. I'm thinking I will probably have to pay it a visit.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#141 year since Scottsboro Boys closing
Posted: 12/13/11 at 3:47am

I had such a great night at this show, I know a few other posters (including the OP) were at this performance too:

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?thread=1025261

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#151 year since Scottsboro Boys closing
Posted: 12/13/11 at 3:59am

I loved this show more than I can express. I think it is the only show I can say I 'miss'.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

beaemma
#161 year since Scottsboro Boys closing
Posted: 12/13/11 at 5:41pm

For me, SCOTTSBORO BOYS was the best new musical of the past several years. I was eager to see it again and genuinely upset that it closed before I could make another trip to New York. It saddens me greatly that Broadway audiences seem to be getting less and less open to serious, adventurous musical theatre.

luvcaroline Profile Photo
luvcaroline
#171 year since Scottsboro Boys closing
Posted: 12/13/11 at 6:04pm

Is anyone familiar with the Old Globe Theatre? This might be a good excuse for a trip to San Diego this spring!

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#181 year since Scottsboro Boys closing
Posted: 12/13/11 at 6:35pm

yes, PTC is doing a production Coleman domingo will not be in that production, but Forrest McClendon and some of the other original cast will be there.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."