News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for stage-n-screen

Member Name: stage-n-screen
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

An idea involving Bryan Cranston and Jeff Daniels swapping roles for a day
 Mar 28 2019, 04:15:29 PM

Interestingly, the night I saw "Network" Jeff Daniels was in the audience. Mild spoiler alert - at the point Cranston went into the audience and took a seat, everyone could see on the monitors that Daniels was sitting right behind him, trying hard but failing to look inconspicuous. As he was getting ready to return to the stage, Cranston finally noticed Daniels - it was a genuinely funny moment. 

Most enthusiastic audience you have experienced?
 Feb 8 2018, 09:30:35 AM

Follies in Concert. Then a distant second has to be Dear Evan Hansen (for clarity - at the Music Box, not at Second Stage) - it wasn't a noteworthy event performance (like an opening night or a farewell) - but the love for Ben Platt and the entire show outdid the audience response the night I saw Hamilton, which at that point I'd thought no regular performance could top.  

a broadway show with a 6 word title?
 Dec 26 2017, 03:01:15 PM

The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas? Has a little politics, large cast, tap dancing in cowboy boots (ok, maybe stomping....)

Favorite Sondheim musical?
 Nov 17 2017, 09:52:24 AM

Sunday in the Park with George.  While Sweeney in my opinion is his best marriage of music and book, followed closely by A Little Night Music, Merrily's score is one great song after another with no weak link, and Assassins is just so daring, the originality, reach, insight, beauty, longing and compassion that Sunday achieves will always make it my favorite musical, not just Sondheim musical.

FOLLIES- National Theatre Live
 Nov 16 2017, 10:00:23 AM

I have 3 tickets for tonight (7:00 pm) at Kew Gardens Cinemas in Queens that I can't use - happy for someone to use these - no charge (I was able to get tix to see it at the Beekman on the 30th).  PM me if interested.

Favourite farce?
 Nov 8 2017, 09:46:05 AM

Tie:

Noises Off

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum

Merrily We Roll Along directed by Maria Friedman
 Sep 27 2017, 11:21:53 AM

Saw this Saturday night - went up from NYC just to see it (as I've done the last two years for the Huntington's Sondheim productions) and had seen a simulcast of the London production in movie theaters a few years ago - and this is a top notch production well worth the trip.  There are already so many well-articulated reviews and thoughts by other posters, I only wanted to second a few of those thoughts.  First, Maria Friedman's direction really does succeed, as much as

Is MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Better Knowing the Plot or Not?
 Sep 14 2017, 06:17:08 PM

MrsSally you hit on what was to me the most eye-opening and compelling aspect of Maria Friedman's production (which I also so on film but am excited to see live next weekend) - a far more sympathetic portrayal of Frank against the portrayal of Charley, Mary and indeed everyone around him, as manipulating him to serve their goals/wants.  Interestingly, your recounting the plot as if it were being told "forward" makes it sound less poignant than it actually was when seen back

Explain your favorite broadway show horribly.
 Sep 13 2017, 05:15:05 PM

A gambler trying to avoid marrying his flu-ridden fiancee bets another that he won't be able to get the biggest prude in town to fall for him, so of course, he gets her drunk.  But then he feels really rotten, makes another bet to get a whole group to show up to her Gambler's Anonymous meeting, where they all "share" and a double-wedding follows.

Explain your favorite broadway show horribly.
 Sep 13 2017, 11:01:26 AM

A painter obsessed with painting a bunch of obnoxious Parisians pisses off his girlfriend so much that she moves to the U.S.  Two generations later, a stuck-in-a-rut artist that may be the painter's great-grandson heads to Paris and realizes he needs to stop brooding and get on with it.

What does your name mean?
 Jul 20 2017, 06:26:23 PM

I studied theater in college, worked as a motion picture development executive for a number of years, was lucky enough to work for a producer who has also done B'way theater, and I wrote/directed a play of my own, so... I'm equally obsessed with movies and theater.  When I wanted to finally post something I had a hard time coming up with something I liked - I was leaning towards a Sondheim-themed name (I'm a Sondheim nut) - but this seemed to fit, so I went with it. 

Have you seen a live professional production of every Sondheim musical?
 Jul 17 2017, 03:47:36 PM

Fun list to put together!

Saturday Night: Musical Theatre Guild in Thousand Oaks, CA (2002)

Gypsy: 1989 B'way revival

Forum:  1996 B'way revival

Anyone Can Whistle: Los Angeles Revival 2003

Company:  Original Cast Reunion in Long Beach, CA (1993); Long Beach Civic Light Opera revival; Roundabout revival (1996); NY Philharmonic concert performance

The moral ambiguity of Dear Evan Hansen
 Jun 2 2017, 01:25:08 PM

leighmiserables said: "Morality has to be objective – at least within a single society – in order for it to mean anything."

Woody Allen covered this perfectly in "Love and Death".

Sonya: Immorality is subjective.

Boris: Yes, but subjectivity is objective.

Sonya: Not in a rational scheme of perception.

Boris: Perception is irrational.  It implies imminence.

Sonya:  But judgment of any system of phenome

FRANKLIN SHEPARD, INC. and other virtuoso solos
 May 22 2017, 01:49:16 PM

"Not Getting Married" from Company, depending on whether you consider a panic attack the equivalent of a breakdown.  More recently, "Words Fail" from Dear Evan Hansen (especially if you see it on stage), which is a truly intense emotional outpouring.

DEAR EVAN HANSEN Reviews
 Apr 18 2017, 06:51:56 PM

Saw this last Thursday night (third time total - early Jan. on b'way and once at Second Stages) and thought it was worth noting a few things that struck me. First is that Ben Platt's performance has - at least based on Thursday night - only grown in intensity.  His emotional commitment on stage is truly staggering, and his vocal power has not diminished in any way.  To avoid spoilers, I'll just say his lead-in to "You Will be Found" was gripping, and "Word

Comedic Male Monologue
 Mar 21 2017, 03:44:08 PM

Lenny's monologue in Act II of Neil Simon's Rumors.  A little context - Lenny is pretending to be Charley, the absent host of a dinner party who shot himself in the earlobe, and explaining everything to the cops who have shown up at the party.  He is actually making the entire story up as he goes along, so there can be lots of doubt/inspiration/panic about where the story is going and will it all make sense as it's being spoken.   

PRESENT LAUGHTER Previews
 Mar 17 2017, 12:56:01 PM

Was at last night's preview and agree with most of the thoughts expressed by others.  The biggest problem, I regret to say because his performance in "A Fish Called Wanda" was so memorable and perfectly outsized, was Kevin Kline.  His performance is oddly restrained - I wouldn't quite call it a "wet noodle" but he never takes command.  It's not an uninspired or lazy performance by any stretch, but I kept feeling like there was a "big" p

Pacific Overtures
 Mar 6 2017, 04:43:10 PM

I saw CSC's 2013 production of Passion (John Doyle directed also) and they had a 9-piece orchestra that did the score justice, and Rob Berman, who is music supervisor for PO was either music director or music supervisor for Passion.  So that makes me hopeful they'll do this beautiful score justice as well. 

How is Ben Platt's attendance in DEH?
 Mar 2 2017, 03:03:39 PM

He's said in a few interviews his character is not in Pitch Perfect 3.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You