News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for springwillcome

springwillcome Profile Photo
Member Name: springwillcome
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Tootsie Is Closing  Nov 14 2019, 12:32:38 AM
I didn’t say I was choosing to interpret it that way, I said it is a real phrase that is frequently used word-for-word against trans people by transphobes. It is an insensitive phrase to use no matter the context. Tootsie even acknowledged this and removed their merchandise that used it so you really don’t need to die on this hill defending their use of it. And “Don't try to explain it to the stan crowd. They'll immediately declare you an evil cis...and they'll throw in an "ok boomer" for good
Tootsie Is Closing  Nov 13 2019, 06:13:58 PM

First, I somehow missed RexInLights comment on this thread, which was posted before mine - they said most of what I wanted to and more concisely, so I do apologize for being redundant. But I will reply to those of you who responded below:

Get some good sleep, perhaps tomorrow your middle school will teach you about paragraphs, run on sentences, and.....

I’m 21, not 12, and if you can’t come up with a cohesive response other than mockery, then I have nothing to say to you (except Ok Boomer). Just because I don’t feel the need to write you a formal essay on social media / am younger doesn’t mean you’re inherently better. Get over yourself.

Can you explain what was transphobic about the show? Thank you.

Hi! The issue lies mainly in the man-in-a-dress trope, and the thread I linked earlier explains how that contributes to misogyny / trans misogyny quite well. I’ll also link the aforementioned review, written by a trans person, as I feel that’s better than me (as a cis person) explaining it. The use of "Being A Woman Is No Job For A Man" tagline in and outside the show is particularly noteworthy as that is word-for-word rhetoric that is frequently used against trans women. Article: https://www.americantheatre.org/2019/05/07/the-gender-problem-tootsie-cant-dress-up/

"Mocking"?  What comments were mocking those people?

"How long before the little nobody who wrote that ridiculous article about Tootsie being transphobic takes credit for this?", "Do they even buy tickets to shows, or do they just watch bootlegs?", and other comments in this thread that were said with the intention of discrediting and infantilizing the trans people who spoke out. 

The "Twitter thread" you posted appears to be just one person (you perhaps?) ......

Not me! I linked that thread because it was written by a trans person - I'm cis, I didn't want to speak over or on behalf of the trans voices that have already spoken out on this issue, so I figured it was better to share the points they already made. Thank you for the link though, I don’t want to beat a dead horse here and I do acknowledge that we’ve spiraled off the topic of closing. rattleNwoolypenguin‘s point is much more concise than mine, and is well put.

tl;dr: empathy and listening is good for interacting with ANYONE and key to being an ally. I don't want to spam this thread any more and I know my posts tend to be very long, so I will be done after this - if anyone wants to discuss this any further (politely, please) feel free to PM me

Off-Broadway/off-off-Broadway Appreciation!  Nov 13 2019, 03:03:10 AM
I absolutely loved Scotland PA - it managed to be really funny but also felt somehow darker than Macbeth? Probably just because I actually liked most of the characters whereas in Macbeth I generally have no attachment. Highly recommend it regardless! I’ve also heard great things about Soft Power, but haven’t been yet.
Tootsie Is Closing  Nov 13 2019, 02:48:19 AM
Nope, it’s in two weeks! Don’t worry though, I got my Professor’s and parent’s permission before partaking in this super adult conversation. I, as a young adult, would certainly never expect to have my voice heard or respected under any other circumstances. Anyway, it’s past my bedtime, so best be going now I guess!
Editing a thread title  Nov 13 2019, 02:29:37 AM
The bottom line from newsies
Tootsie Is Closing  Nov 13 2019, 12:10:16 AM

Well good thing nobody mentioned censorship? overall it closed bc of financial reasons and nobody is saying otherwise lol. but brushing off criticism, especially when it's actually important and not just "i didnt like it :/" is a pretty bold stance to take rather than just like...saying "I hear you, I can see how this is a bad thing, and I am willing to admit that this thing I like (that nobody is saying you can't like) is Maybe Not Perfect" lol (normally

Tootsie Is Closing  Nov 12 2019, 11:14:02 PM

I was referring specifically to their merch fiasco, which they easily could have made a more public statement about since they DM'd so many people anyway. I won't take the time to explain just what it is that's wrong with the show, because at this point it's closing anyway, but I'll drop a link to a nice twitter thread gets at it really well, and also perfectly details the misogyny in it (which obviously affects more than just trans folks, so maybe that would get yall to listen!) Last, it is...very possible for something that isn't directly about an issue to have a negative impact on it. That is...really nothing new or shocking so I genuinely don't have the energy to explain it. Countless trans people HAVE explained this time and time again, and it really is not that hard to listen (or to seek out their voices if you don't encounter this). Just because it isn't getting people directly hurt or killed does not mean "its all good lets turn a blind eye" lol

Thread: https://twitter.com/nonstandardrep/status/1121487599112265730?s=21

Tootsie Is Closing  Nov 12 2019, 10:46:36 PM

The comments mocking the people who were upset about Tootsie being transphobic are honestly gross. If you are upset over twitter celebrations, considering that people lost their jobs, that is Maybe understandable - I feel for the ensemble members and actors who took what work they could get - but ultimately, trans folks celebrating that something that was genuinely causing them harm won’t be anymore is perfectly okay, and silencing their voices is gross. If an oppressed group

Songs That Sound An Awful Lot Like Other Songs  Jun 21 2019, 03:29:33 PM

Here's a fun one: "Lovely ladies" from Les Mis and the Oompa Loompa song

Not the whole song and not the same tempo, but the choruses of Memory from cats and Agony from into the woods

Head Over Heels Closing Night Via Rush  Jan 2 2019, 12:52:41 AM
On the contrary, I think its definitely worth having him try. From what Ive heard theyve been very lax about the student part of student rush, they never once asked for my id and I know several adults who are clearly not students that bought tickets without even trying to fake it. If it isnt out of his way too much Id ask him to try.
Oddest things you've heard from non theatre people  Jul 30 2018, 02:33:27 PM

I've heard plenty of hot takes from non theater people, but then sometimes I remember some of my OWN before I knew more about theater, and they're so much worse, so I'll embarrass myself instead:

1). When I saw Wicked on a high school field trip, I found out our seats were in the orchestra. I assumed this meant we were sitting WITH the pit - in my defense, I was going with our school's concert band, but how I had never heard of "orchestra seating" before fresh

THIS AIN'T NO DISCO thread  Jul 29 2018, 12:55:36 PM

I saw the matinee yesterday - bought tickets a while back as I am a fan of krystina alabado and stephen trask. I have mixed feelings, but I think as I've sat thinking about it they've grown more positive. I think the show definitely had....a LOT going on....I almost want to see it again just so I can process it better, not necessarily because I liked it. I didn't mind the music - some of the songs I would absolutely love to hear again. I thought the performances were incredible, p

HEAD OVER HEELS Reviews  Jul 29 2018, 12:40:20 PM

I saw this on a last second stubhub decision last night and it was the most fun I've had in a theater in a long time. I'm sad to see that it isn't grossing well, but most of the people around me had a great time too, so I'm hoping it'll pick up a bit, but not optimistic. I think if this had opened off broadway in a smaller theater, it would be doing incredibly well and would have found more of its audience - not sure broadway was ready for it, unfortunately. I thought

How is Avenue Q Holding Up?  Jul 25 2018, 11:39:54 AM

I think they change it with what's relevant - my friends said sometime after the oil spill years ago it was BP

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/22/18  Jul 25 2018, 11:21:08 AM

ACL2006 said: "The Hudson and Sondheim will (likely) be open for the Spring. CRAZY FOR YOU in the Sondheim? JAGGED LITTLE PILL to the Cort? HADESTOWN to the Hudson? AIN'T TOO PROUD to the Marquis?"

A lot of my friends have expressed that they think JLP would do really well in the Booth and are hoping for that (no idea what the show is pulling for, though, I'm just hoping it transfers!)

Is the Freaky Friday DCOM going to be a musical?  Jul 24 2018, 09:57:31 AM

maybe I'm only surprised so few people knew it because I'm younger (20) and grew up with them, but DCOM is an accepted acronym, not one randomly-made-up by the OP - pronounced like "D-com" - so it is a fair acronym to use, and familiar to many people. totally valid to not know it, but not something worth criticizing the OP for when a google search is easy. regarding the original post, the trailer is definitely weird in basically leaving out that it's

PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews  Jul 20 2018, 10:53:17 AM

Did anybody rush this morning? Curious how the seats are (especially since you all keep mentioning never seeing the front row orch go on sale.....if they're being held for rush or a future lotto, that'd be awesome....)

Anyone have theatre ticket stub hub success before?  Jul 12 2018, 03:33:55 PM

Theater3232 said: "They're the nicest people going. Have used them multiple times & there's never a line to pick up. I wish every ticket organization were as nice, friendly and courteous as they were.Right on the corner of 39th & Broadway."

I second this - I got last minute concert tickets on stubhub that weren't listed as partial view online but were marked PV on the ticket once I got it - they immediately gave me full view seats in the same sect

Moulin Rouge Colonial Theatre Previews  Jul 11 2018, 12:00:07 PM

re: the song list - I'm a big fan of walk the moon, anyone know the context of shut up and dance/who sings it? I'm assuming either elephant love medley or something in the moulin rouge itself?

Which Musical Numbers Helped  Jun 11 2018, 11:22:17 AM
I think frozen and spongebob defintely helped themselves with their numbers and were the best of the night. The Band’s Visit was stunning but their awards will do much more for them than their performance, and while I absolutely loved mean girls as a show and that they wanted to highlight all of their stars in their number, it was definitely the wrong choice. spongebob knew that I’m not a loser would be the perfect vibe for the tonys and worked around it not being Slater’s song - Mean girls sho
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You