pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/22/18

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/22/18

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/22/18
Posted: 7/23/18 at 3:05pm

Click below to access all the Broadway grosses from all the shows for the week ending 7/22/2018 in BroadwayWorld's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance was: A BRONX TALE THE MUSICAL (10.2%), ANASTASIA (8.9%), SCHOOL OF ROCK (7.7%), KINKY BOOTS (6.3%), THE BOYS IN THE BAND (4.4%), THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG (3.8%), CHICAGO (3.6%), STRAIGHT WHITE MEN (3.6%), HELLO, DOLLY! (2.7%), WICKED (1.7%), THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (1.1%), WAITRESS (1.1%), MY FAIR LADY (1.0%), ALADDIN (0.5%), THE LION KING (0.4%), FROZEN (0.1%),

Down for the week by attendance was: CAROUSEL (-1.9%), ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (-1.0%), HEAD OVER HEELS (-0.8%), BEAUTIFUL (-0.5%), SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS (-0.5%), SUMMER (-0.2%), THE BOOK OF MORMON (-0.2%), SPRINGSTEEN ON BROADWAY (-0.1%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/22/18
Posted: 7/23/18 at 3:07pm

Pretty decent numbers overall.  Getting the Band Back Together (what is it about?) and Head Over Heels have some rough grosses.  Chicago is doing fine.   

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/22/18
Posted: 7/23/18 at 3:08pm

Head Over Heels certainly isn't building steam. An average of $309k for 4 full weeks of performances.

And I heard today that they're actively seeking additional investors.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/22/18
Posted: 7/23/18 at 3:09pm

Damn! Welcome back, Bette!

(Insert Clever Name) Profile Photo
(Insert Clever Name)
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/22/18
Posted: 7/23/18 at 3:11pm

Uh oh for HOH and gtbbt

binau Profile Photo
binau
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/22/18
Posted: 7/23/18 at 3:11pm

Mmmm...can't tell if Hello, Dolly! is going to survive without Bernadette. Early days.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

a-mad
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/22/18
Posted: 7/23/18 at 3:15pm

Pretty Woman appears to have a solid start for two performances.  Frozen may still be re-selling a lot of tickets at a cheaper rate, but they've been over $2 million for several weeks now, so maybe its not the disaster some make it out to be.  By this point in their runs both Little Mermaid and Tarzan were showing definite signs of weakness.

HBBrock
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/22/18
Posted: 7/23/18 at 3:15pm

GTBBT grosses are actually better than I expected and not completely terrible (compared to what I imagined). They are starting to get some people in the seats with huge discounts, and besides the people on here, I hear people are loving the show and having a great time.

Let’s see if any word of mouth can build before you all write this one off.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/22/18
Posted: 7/23/18 at 3:17pm

So does HEAD OVER HEELS announce a closing date right after they open?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

HBBrock
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/22/18
Posted: 7/23/18 at 3:19pm

HOH is done by Labor Day. Word of mouth is deadly.

jkstheatrescene Profile Photo
jkstheatrescene
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/22/18
Posted: 7/23/18 at 3:22pm

Deadly? Not from what I've read and heard. 

HBBrock
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/22/18
Posted: 7/23/18 at 3:26pm

Deadly from people outside of this board. When I went, people all around me were bored.

MadsonMelo
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/22/18
Posted: 7/23/18 at 3:26pm

If the numbers for Carousel and Summer are these now, I can't even predict what will they become by September, geez!

Midler... welcome back!

Pretty Woman did great, I believe they can get in the million soon, and I believe they can sustain a good word of mouth, I can't believe Karl is a show that can possibly be a hit, good for him!

HOH is DOA. Band is not far from this either.

JSquared2
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/22/18
Posted: 7/23/18 at 3:35pm

HBBrock said: "Deadly from people outside of this board. When I went, people all around me were bored."

Please kindly let us know how many of these "people all around you" you personally surveyed, and what your criteria was to determine that they were, in fact, bored?  You seem to be championing Getting the Band Back..., and their word of mouth appears far more deadly than HOH.  Does Ken D. pay you by the word? 

(Just kidding, we know that Ken doesn't pay people!)  Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/22/18

HBBrock
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/22/18
Posted: 7/23/18 at 4:00pm

I haven’t seen the show yet. I go tonight!

I have never met Ken Davenport in my life. I will admit I have been looking forward it for a month.

I was also looking forward to HOH (a LOT) until I saw it.

As far as knowing how bored the people around me at HOH were..... my critieria was simple. People sleeping, yawning, not laughing, slow to get up, no standing ovation, lots of blah faces.

I have seen over 400 shows since moving to New York ten years ago. I would say I have a pretty excellent sense of being able to get the vibe from the audience.

Updated On: 7/23/18 at 04:00 PM

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/22/18
Posted: 7/23/18 at 4:07pm

a-mad said: "Pretty Woman appears to have a solid start for two performances. Frozen may still be re-selling a lot of tickets at a cheaper rate, but they've been over $2 million for several weeks now, so maybe its not the disaster some make it out to be. By this point in their runs both Little Mermaid and Tarzan were showing definite signs of weakness."

Frozen’s initial pre-opening ticket block was through August, so we’ll truly start to see if its a critic proof spectacle like Beauty and the Beast or a rushed to Broadway before its ready failure like The Little Mermaid come September. Just looking at ticketmaster it looks like its basically 90%+ sold for weekend performances in September and at least 50% for Weekdays. In truth though thats a similar sale patterns as Aladdin early in its run. Despite selling out for 4.5 years now, Aladdin has never been that difficult a ticket to get if you looked at least a week before your desired performance date. It should be noted Frozen currently looks like it has a greater  advance than Aladdin based on Ticketmaster. Honestly though, if Disney was worried about Frozen’s advance Disney Theatricals summer marketing campaign would be Frozen focused instead of its “3 Hot Show for 1 Cool Summer” campaign. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/22/18
Posted: 7/23/18 at 4:08pm

ok so let me wrap my head around this...

GTBBT has the lowest adjusted gross of any show (play or musical) except the one we all seem to agree is DOA, and the lowest average ticket price of all, but someone thinks that is not completely terrible. Just as was the case with OOTI (and this producer's prior and uninterrupted string of fiascos), there is only one way you can become successful and this is not it. 

Re the audience Brock saw HOH with, let me guess, a matinee. [and for the record, I don't think it has a snowball's chance.]

Two theatres, both alike in dignity/In fair 44th Street, where we lay our scene...

Updated On: 7/23/18 at 04:08 PM

HBBrock
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/22/18
Posted: 7/23/18 at 4:21pm

I saw HOH on a Thursday night....I believe it was a 5th preview.

HBBrock
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/22/18
Posted: 7/23/18 at 4:24pm

Also, Hogan.....I didn’t say the grosses were good. I was honestly expecting the grosses to be significantly worse.

Let us see how the next few weeks look.

a-mad
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/22/18
Posted: 7/23/18 at 4:59pm

bdn223 said: "a-mad said: "Pretty Woman appears to have a solid start for two performances. Frozen may still be re-selling a lot of tickets at a cheaper rate, but they've been over $2 million for several weeks now, so maybe its not the disaster some make it out to be. By this point in their runs both Little Mermaid and Tarzan were showing definite signs of weakness."

Frozen’s initial pre-opening ticket block was through August, so we’ll truly start to see if its a critic proof spectacle like Beauty and the Beast or a rushed to Broadway before its ready failure like The Little Mermaid come September. Just looking at ticketmaster it looks like its basically 90%+ sold for weekend performances in September and at least 50% for Weekdays. In truth though thats a similar sale patternsas Aladdin early in its run. Despite selling out for 4.5 years now, Aladdin has never been that difficult a ticket to get if you looked at least a week before your desired performance date. It should be noted Frozen currently looks like it has a greateradvance than Aladdinbased on Ticketmaster. Honestly though, if Disney was worried about Frozen’s advance Disney Theatricals summer marketing campaign would be Frozen focused instead of its “3 Hot Show for 1 Cool Summer” campaign.
"

^ great info on Frozen - thanks!

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/22/18
Posted: 7/23/18 at 5:04pm

Not to take sides, but Hogan, I agree with both you and HBBrock. Gettin the Band Back Together is DOA...but it still posted better numbers than I expected. I thought we were going to be looking at some Home for the Holidays/Soul Doctor kind of madness. The numbers are very bad! Just not as bad as I was expecting!

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
#22Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/22/18
Posted: 7/23/18 at 5:07pm

a-mad said: "Pretty Woman appears to have a solid start for two performances. Frozen may still be re-selling a lot of tickets at a cheaper rate, but they've been over $2 million for several weeks now, so maybe its not the disaster some make it out to be. By this point in their runs both Little Mermaid and Tarzan were showing definite signs of weakness."

And a reminder... frozen still gets the full ticket price, resellers are just losing money. So it doesn’t really effect the show if the scalped tickets are selling for a cheaper amount, they made their money. 

MannPhan24601
#24Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/22/18
Posted: 7/23/18 at 5:37pm

Glad to see a slight bump for Kinky with David Cook's return ! It seemed pretty full yesterday and there was a pretty crowded stage door that went past the barricade afterwards (in the pouring rain )

Updated On: 7/23/18 at 05:37 PM

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/22/18
Posted: 7/23/18 at 5:56pm

I really figured Kinky Boots would announce a closing date before School of Rock did. Even if KB’s weekly nut is relatively low, I wonder how much longer they can keep going especially as they are investing more in stunt casting (which doesn’t appear to be working).

Carousel’s highest grossing days also seem to be behind it.

And I know last week, Hogan said Summer’s grosses are still surpassing its weekly nut, but we’ve seen shows (I.e. SOR) that have already recouped that closed after consistently grossing similar low percentages.

I’m going to go ahead and predict that Pretty Woman will enjoy prolonged critic-proof high box office ala Mean Girls.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#26Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/22/18
Posted: 7/23/18 at 6:17pm

SOR is a far more expensive show to run than Kinky Boots. They've got kids, a giant set, etc. Kinky Boots is pretty basic. They've actually done a very good job with stunt casting, and I'm surprised SOR hasn't tried stunt-casting to boost sales. Get a talented kid in there, or some rock star for Dewey. 

Videos