News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Jimbob2

Member Name: Jimbob2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

SUNSET BOULEVARD Reviews
 Feb 11 2017, 05:37:12 PM

Qolbinau!  Save your hard earned money, you'll have a rotten time if you go in knowing it's an awful musical.  A star turn and only one good song can't save that.  

SUNSET BOULEVARD Reviews
 Feb 10 2017, 04:22:14 PM

Certainly not incontrovertible proof of anything, just an anecdote re the changing viewpoint of a composer.  Nice talking to you.

SUNSET BOULEVARD Reviews
 Feb 10 2017, 01:57:04 PM

Here's one musician/composer NewInTown:

Australian Malcolm Williamson was Master of the Queen's Music from 1975 until his death in 2003. He tastelessly said Lloyd Webber's music is everywhere "but so is AIDS", and compared it to a cement mixer except "there is a degree of creativity in a cement mixer".  "At least his brother Julian can scratch the cello, although he does that badly".  He also disparaged their father William Lloyd Webb

Sunset movie too La La Late?
 Jan 8 2017, 02:05:17 PM

Gd

Sunset movie too La La Late?
 Jan 8 2017, 02:00:14 PM

Just saw a preview screening of 'La La Land' in the UK.  Made me wonder if it may have used up the oxygen for a 'Sunset Boulevard' movie; those scenes walking through the back lot, the romance of two people struggling in LA; the fact Gosling & Stone look perfect casting for Sunset's Joe and Betty.

A shame if so, but would certainly delay it by a few years I reckon.

I came out of the screening feeling it was like Sunset, minus Norma Desmond, m

I'M GLAD MATILDA LOST LAST NIGHT!
 Jun 10 2013, 12:49:13 PM
(B)limey! I've heard of losing with dignity (we Brits are known for it, ha!). But there's such a think as winning with dignity too. You guys.
Andrew Lloyd Webber Vs. Sondheim
 Mar 9 2013, 05:33:11 PM
I'm the opposite Golbinau; it's often the music 'in between' that I like in ALW (particularly in Evita), and I think it's the assumption that his shows are just the hit songs that has people who don't know his work underestimating it. (I don't mean you, as you do know his work; or others who do know it and actively dislike it! ha ha). So in 'Sunset Boulevard' I'd absolutely listen to the material beyond Norma's songs: chiefly Overture, Car Chase, Salome, This Time Next Year, The Greatest Star
THE ANARCHIST to Close on Broadway December 16
 Dec 5 2012, 05:07:32 PM
Hmm, now what was that you were saying Patti? Paraphrased: 'ALW doesn't edit, you MUST edit, David Mamet EDITS!'.

Oh dear, now the lady's paying. (Now that didn't hurt, did it?)

[Okay, okay, I know I'm a bitch hee hee]

Evita question SPOILERS
 Jun 19 2012, 11:39:58 AM
Absolutely, Castelstreet. In fact, it was an innovation for the original production, altering the Concept album at that moment. On the concept album, instead of collapsing she sings (to the same melody) "This is not a gambler's final throw, forced upon me by those bastards who / only long to see me up and go, it's not an unprepared or panicked move, which just goes to prove I'd be good for you, Eva - Vice President, is good for you".

The Eva/Peron reprise of 'So what happens now' '

What did you think of Sunset Boulevard (1994)?
 Jun 19 2012, 11:31:38 AM
Anyone else, like me, who didn't see the film until after hearing the CD or seeing the musical? My feelings as I watched certain film scenes were 'wow,is that all? It's so good they expanded that moment at the point where it needs to sing'. "The Lady's Paying" is the main example I remember. Of course there's a lot to be said for economy and restraint (i.e the unexpanded film scenes) but if you're going to musicalize it, I like a lot of the choices. which is to saying nothing against the fi
Evita question SPOILERS
 Jun 19 2012, 09:09:40 AM
Love it, Temms!

My favourite 'overhear' was after a tour performance of Evita in Bristol, England. Standing at the bus stop a mother and daughter. Daughter: "I thought she was gonna sing that 'Mem'ry'"

Evita question SPOILERS
 Jun 19 2012, 03:57:08 AM
I guess there's a glimmer of a chance that if people don't know the show or Eva's history, they might think that the funeral is for a more timely death; not a life cut short so young. I haven't seen the Grandage production, but the original one had projections (I think including her embalmed body) and of course the waxwork corpse in the coffin. But still, you might not tell her young age from those if you didn't know; and nothing in the lyrics of 'Oh, what a circus' indicates her age.
<

Jun 18 2012, 07:27:14 PM
:) She's got good phrasing [Webb], and enough mix of musical theatre chops and pop understanding to sing that role and other ALW work with fluidity.

People probably know this anecdote but:
A much disliked lyric (mentioned above in the thread) re. 'platinum blonde bitch / Own so many apartments I've forgotten which is which' was an indulgence on the part of Don Black. He overheard ALW getting confused while on the phone to one of his homes, and the location of something or other

Jun 18 2012, 05:59:01 PM
'Nothing Like You've Ever Known' in the original version sung by Marti Webb on the 'Tell Me On A Sunday' album is a really good match of lyric, musical setting, and performance. Just one example, but there's the one. However, I've walked into your bear trap. Let's get back to this really good thread's topic, and not get sidetracked with a tired bitch fest on ALW. Yawn.
Che in
 Jun 9 2012, 09:49:28 AM
I think the crux of this is that Che Guevara wasn't 'Che Guevara' at that point in his life (just plain Ernesto) - so Rice was able to be creatively teasing with the identity of the character. Any doubt also plays into the idea that the Mistress might have ended up where Eva was rather than disappearing into the crowd after a brief moment in the spotlight - or did she lack the 'little touch of star quality' that Eva and Guevara had? Directors can play it one of three ways: Either the icon '
More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
 Dec 11 2011, 05:15:12 PM
This casting would never happen, but... Helen Schneider seems to me a genius in this role. She has a face that is believable as that of a silent movie star, a wonderful voice, and her acting is fantastic. She manages to be real, without camping it up, and yet is quite extreme at the same time. Powerful and pitiful in equal measure.

This German press call video gives a good idea of what the DVD could look like. Some of the pulling focus to Max's reactions is really good. The casti

More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
 Dec 10 2011, 05:20:26 PM
Would Harry Connick Jnr be good for Joe? He's got the perfect look for that period. I've always wanted 'Too Much In Love To Care' to be done as a slow jazz number.

If not Harry....Mickey Bubbles?

JCS logo - Tell me what's a happening!
 Dec 3 2011, 07:27:40 PM
Now this I do like. Borrow it from the Mexican production Des, could almost be Josh in the pic, but do something...!
JCS logo - Tell me what's a happening!
 Dec 3 2011, 05:57:40 PM
The JCS logo/lettering doesn't seem to settle on one thing for the new Broadway Bound production, with something different at Stratford and then La Jolla. I sincerely hope the terrible 'liquid metal' lettering on the show's website isn't the final idea! Not the most important thing perhaps, but for a show that's easy to get in a stylistic confusion a surefooted logo is a useful first nod and mood-setter as to what you're up to. The liquid metal represents old-style prog rock?? Splitting up t
BONNIE & CLYDE Reviews
 Dec 1 2011, 08:22:09 PM
Dear Talkin' Broadway reviewer,

Please learn the difference between the words 'flouting' and 'flaunting'. You should find an explanation in the same dictionary in which you found the word 'characterological' which (very) briefly made you look clever/pretentious in your review of 'Bonnie & Clyde'.

Lots of Love.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You