pixeltracker

More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?

More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#2More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/10/11 at 9:58am

The older Norma is in this, the less relevant her story is. She's not supposed to be well into the "golden years." She's supposed to be 50. A "real" 50, not 64 (Glenn Close) passing for 50. She should be 50, trying desperately to pass for 20 again. And even if she can look as youthful as 40 or 38, the harsh truth of Norma's situation is that she is too old for Hollywood of 1950. If you cast someone older, the audience will just agree with Hollywood and say, "yeah, she's way too old now." It's essential to the story. You need your audience to be just a little bit on Norma's side here to keep them invested emotionally in the (creepy) plot. She goes from eccentric, delusional and campy to victimized to femme fatale during the course of story. But her bizarre tale should be rooted in reality. That's where her fantasy stems from. So cast the role in reality or you'll be dead in the water.

(aka, Glenn Close is way too old to play Norma now.)

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/10/11 at 10:12am

Who is a big enough name with the talent to do this role that's in the right age range?

Ally Sheedy?

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#3More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/10/11 at 10:16am

It would be really cool if Glenn Close played it as an aging silent film star--but with the movie set in the present day.

That would make Norma about 120.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#4More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/10/11 at 10:28am

PalJoey, didn't Glenn already do that in "Maxie"?

Of course they could keep the movie in 1950, and instead of Glenn being the 50 year old Norma Desmond, she could be the 120 year old Sarah Bernhardt.

But if they were going to do that, they might as well get Luise Rainer for the part.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#5More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/10/11 at 10:49am

Best12- you articulated that beautifully. I would love to see them cast someone like a Michelle Pfeiffer or even a Sharon Stone because they are the right age and type-- the story would have so much resonance in today's youth obsessed world if they cast a woman in early middle age desperately trying to cling to her youth
Updated On: 12/10/11 at 10:49 AM

Jordan Catalano
#6More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/10/11 at 10:53am

Stone and Pfeiffer are two of the most under appreciated actresses alive. Either of them would be spectacular.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#7More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/10/11 at 10:54am

I agree. Glennis is too old to play Norma. Catherine Zeta Jones would make a wonderful Norma Desmond. from RC in Austin, Texas

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

nasty_khakis
#8More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/10/11 at 11:40am

Didn't Webber himself recently say he'd love for Madonna to do the film?

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#9More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/10/11 at 11:49am

Taking a closer look at that article it looks like what Webber is actually talking about is reassembling the stage production for a filming that would likely play movie theatres for just a couple of nights and then go to video.

I imagine this would be more like the videos done for JOSEPH, CATS, etc and not really a major motion picture. To that end, perhaps he sees Close recreating her role for a taping of the play, is the most realistic choice, but yes even then I still agree she is too old for it now

Madonna kind of 'is' Norma Desmond now in real life, bizarrely enough, just as 15 years ago she kind of 'was Evita' -- she's more appropriate at this point for the role han Close.

Jordan Catalano
#10More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/10/11 at 11:51am

And in 10 years she'll "be" CATS.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#11More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/10/11 at 11:52am

I actually think Norma would be a great part for Madonna now. I wonder if she'd be interested.

Jordan Catalano
#12More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/10/11 at 12:02pm

She's said she doesn't want to act in movies anymore (I suspect because she's like Wildhorn whereas even when she makes something wonderful she's still trashed) but this is something too big to pass up. Perhaps if they got Alan Parker to direct her again it could be fantastic.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#13More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/10/11 at 12:04pm

I want Evita to come out on Blu-ray, damn it!

Jordan Catalano
#14More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/10/11 at 12:26pm

I'll wait for the Criterion edition. Hopefully soon!

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#15More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/10/11 at 12:49pm

There's an issue with all the older Mirimax home video releases. Very few have come out on BD so far, but that's starting to change. A decent group was announced a couple of months ago, and I'm hoping Evita (and Bullets Over Broadway and others) will turn up in the next year or so. But Criterion licenses movies on their own, so that would be good, too!

And nearly all those Mirimax DVDs were letterboxed (non-anamorphic), so I'm really looking forward to an upgrade on some, including Evita.

Updated On: 12/10/11 at 12:49 PM

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#16More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/10/11 at 12:51pm

Thankfully, I have the 1997 Criterion Collection Box set of EVITA on laserdisc (supervised by Alan Parker) so I was able to transfer the entire contents of it onto DVD so that holds me over until (if ever) Criterion Collection chooses to release it on DVD. I'm sure most of the laserdisc contents won't be included but I'm covered. More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#17More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/10/11 at 1:00pm

I did the same thing, Brody. The content is really terrific (that long documentary!), but the Laser Disc image isn't even as good as the Miramax DVD.

AEA AGMA SM
#18More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/10/11 at 1:02pm

Since Hairspray was released I've been wanting this movie made with Michelle Pfeiffer and James Marsden.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#19More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/10/11 at 1:25pm

Pfeiffer is a wonderful idea.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#20More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/10/11 at 1:26pm

Although Madonna would be good for obvious reasons, I think I would prefer Michelle Pfeiffer more because, given her age, she still has that seductress air about her that could enhance her Norma.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#21More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/10/11 at 1:28pm

Based on what the article said, I would just be happy if they film it on stage with the original John Napier design. I wouldn;t care who played Norma.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

Proper Villain Profile Photo
Proper Villain
#22More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/10/11 at 1:54pm

While we're on topic of "who'd I like to see" ... Kristin Scott Thomas as Norma Desmond, Lee Pace as Joe Gillis and Amy Adams as Betty Shaefer.

"Are we being attacked or entertained?" - MST3K My theatre poster/logo portfolio: http://www.listenterprises.com/

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#23More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/10/11 at 2:52pm

With Madonna, it depends on timing. Her new album should be out by spring, and she'll want to tour. She's the biggest touring solo act of all time, and shows in the US and Europe are always popular. Depending on her touring schedule, it could work.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#24More SUNSET Film Rumors - Glenn Close To Play Norma Now?
Posted: 12/10/11 at 2:52pm

With Madonna, it depends on timing. Her new album should be out by spring, and she'll want to tour. She's the biggest touring solo act of all time, and shows in the US and Europe are always popular. Depending on her touring schedule, it could work.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

Videos