News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Paul Bland4

Paul Bland4 Profile Photo
Member Name: Paul Bland4
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Big Fish- The Musical  Jun 9 2011, 01:27:04 PM
I became interested in Lippa's work after hearing the new song he wrote for YAGMCB. I like bits and pieces of TWP.

I had high hopes for AF, strictly out of optimism. NEVER has a CD departed my regular playlist faster.

I don't think BF is a bad idea. I think it may be better suited to cinema, or perhaps I just particularly remember the imagery of the movie fondly.

I am far from the one to say Lippa was/is the worst choice. I will remain guarded and skeptical. This is yo

What show are you CURRENTLY in/working on?  May 30 2011, 02:47:43 PM
I start rehearsals June 14th for a production of the original musical revue MADDER MUSIC & STRONGER WINE, opening August 5th in Portland OR.
next revival you want starring.......  May 22 2011, 03:14:48 PM
On the 20th Century with Kevin Kline as Oscar, and anybody but Kristin Chenoweth as Lily.

WE HAVE HEARD TOO MUCH FROM YOU KRISTIN. DISAPPEAR FOR A WHILE.

So if you can't change things in licensed shows...  May 22 2011, 03:12:05 PM
I have often reduced multi-set shows to a unit setting. My production of Jerry Herman's THE GRAND TOUR took place entirely in the living room of S.L. Jacobowsky's grandson, as the family re-enacted their patriarch's story. The "Rolls Royce" became a loveseat and two chairs to suggest theatrically the seats of the vehicle, for example. The driver simply pantomimed a steering wheel.

It worked brilliantly; sometimes economy is the mother of invention.

Your Favorite Pop Top 40 artist that writes for the Broadway Stage  May 22 2011, 03:06:29 PM
I thought parts of THE CAPEMAN were absolute genius.

I have always thought that 1970's Billy Joel should have written a musical for the stage.

Always hoped Jim Steinman would write for the stage - until he actually did.

I'd enjoy a revue of Shel Silverstein's Dr. Hook songs.

Definitely David Bowie - but it would have to be THE PERFECT material.

Your Favorite Pop Top 40 artist that writes for the Broadway Stage  May 22 2011, 03:06:22 PM

I have always thought that 1970's Billy Joel should have written a musical for the stage.

Your Favorite Pop Top 40 artist that writes for the Broadway Stage  May 22 2011, 03:06:12 PM

CAROUSEL questions  May 16 2011, 02:11:15 PM
Goth: BRAVO!
Musicals that BEG to be made into movies  May 9 2011, 04:06:44 PM
City of Angels
How can you be nommed for Best Musical and have no noms for Best Book or Score????  May 3 2011, 04:21:20 PM
Believe me, besty, I'm on board with you on the Tonys.

The situation you mention is also why Thoroughly Modern Millie and The Lion King won Best Musical in their respective years, and Urinetown and Ragtime won Best Score in the same years.

Its going to be so nice for a change to see the 'right' show win both.

How can you be nommed for Best Musical and have no noms for Best Book or Score????  May 3 2011, 04:20:31 PM

The situation you mention is also why Thoroughly Modern Millie and The Lion King won Best Musical in their respective years, and Urinetown and Ragtime won Best Score in the same years.

Wow, that quad posting was weird.

Incidentally, to be 'nommed' is to be eaten by a kitteh. 'Nominated' is the correct term, I believe.

How can you be nommed for Best Musical and have no noms for Best Book or Score????  May 3 2011, 04:20:30 PM

How can you be nommed for Best Musical and have no noms for Best Book or Score????  May 3 2011, 04:20:31 PM

How can you be nommed for Best Musical and have no noms for Best Book or Score????  May 3 2011, 04:20:30 PM

How can you be nommed for Best Musical and have no noms for Best Book or Score????  May 3 2011, 04:19:46 PM

How can you be nommed for Best Musical and have no noms for Best Book or Score????  May 3 2011, 04:04:51 PM
Besty, I respectfully disagree.

Best Musical is the culmination of a popularity contest, and the estimation of a show's projected net worth in a future-revenue scenario. Best Musical is a marketing tool.

Best Book and Best Score are accolades to the authors of new works for their contributions to the state of theatre for a given season.

In my opinion.

How can you be nommed for Best Musical and have no noms for Best Book or Score????  May 3 2011, 03:51:36 PM
1962: 'A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum" wins Best Musical, without the benefit of a Best Score nomination for Composer/Lyricist Stephen Sondheim.

That year's winner? Richard Rodgers for "No Strings."

The Other Nominees: Richard Adler, 'Kwamina', Jerry Herman, 'Milk and Honey', Frank Loesser, "How to Succeed.'

2011 Tony Award Nomination Discussion thread  May 3 2011, 03:42:21 PM
uncageg -
keep in mind that the 98% of the SISTER ACT lyrics you heard were crappy Glen Slater lyrics.

Howard Ashman he ain't.

Common Elements in the best and worst musicals.  Apr 22 2011, 04:29:48 PM
Good Musicals have:

Established and developed goals, obstacles and resolutions for their characters and plot(s).

Songs that either comment directly upon the action of the piece, or that propel the plot(s) forward to the next plot point or, ultimately, the resolution of the plot(s).

Lyrics that actually rhyme.

Characters who stay true to themselves (in the sense of how they are written and performed) from scene to scene.

Wit and intelligence.

Help Kickstart my original musical to premiere in NYC!  Apr 12 2011, 02:38:29 PM
No.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You