News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Will42

Will42 Profile Photo
Member Name: Will42
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Dame Angela Lansbury responds to backlash over her sexual assault comments: 'They were taken brutishly out of context'  Nov 30 2017, 09:46:28 AM

Statement of Actress Angela Lansbury Against Sexual Harassment and Abuse of Women

Comments by Lansbury Taken Out of Context In Interview in Radio Times Magazine

SAN FRANCISCO, Nov. 29, 2017 /PRNewswire/ --

"There is no excuse whatsoever for men to harass women in an abusive sexual manner.  And, I am devastated that anyone should deem me capable of thinking otherwise.

"Those who have known the quality of my work and the many public statements I have made over the course of my life, must know, that I am a strong supporter of Women's Rights.

"Lastly, I would like to add that I am troubled by how quickly and brutishly some have taken my comments out of context and attempted to blame my generation, my age, or my mindset, without having read the entirety of what I said."

Angela Lansbury

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/statement-of-actress-angela-lansbury-against-sexual-harassment-and-abuse-of-women-300564081.html

Happy 91st Birthday Angela Lansbury!  Oct 16 2016, 08:50:11 AM

Happy Birthday to one of the greatest performers of all time! She's a world treasure and here's hoping she'll continue blessing us with her extraordinary talent for many years to come! Love her so very much!

Todrick Hall joining KINKY BOOTS  Oct 4 2016, 05:04:53 PM

Todrick Hall Lip-Syncs For His Life to Land of Lola from Kinky Boots: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXI-6a-29-c

Sadly, I didn't like it at all. He kinda lacks energy and fabulousness of Lola. Considering that All Stars were filmed more than a year ago, I'm surprised they have booked him so much in advance though. 

Has Broadway seen the last of Angela Lansbury  Oct 4 2016, 04:49:32 PM

Dame Angela would have been the main selling point of The Chalk Garden revival and it's a huge responsibility and additional stress. That has to be one of the main reason behind her disappointing, but totally understandable decisions. 

I wouldn't rule out completely her return in a small supporting role when the success of the show won't depend on her name alone. 

From what I understand she wants to spend more time with her family. Her daught

Angela Lansbury Will Not Be Returning To Broadway  Sep 20 2016, 12:40:47 PM

While it's a terribly upsetting and disappointing news, I applaud Dame Angela's decision to leave the stage on a high note. It's just a shame that they didn't launch the production back in 2014 as it was originally planned.   

She's an extraordinary talented performer, who has accomplished so much over the years. I have nothing but deepest admiration and gratitude for one of the greatest performers of all time and I feel so fortunate for being able to see her perform live over the years. 

I'm absolutely certain Dame Angela will return to acting. If not on stage, then in a film or TV show.

Tony's in light of Orlando shooting.  Jun 12 2016, 10:59:27 AM

I think they should postpone.

It would be extremely odd to go on with the show on the day of the worst mass shooting in US history. 

Tony Award Dress Rehearsal  Jun 12 2016, 10:39:02 AM

In my opinion they should postpone the ceremony due to Orlando's horrific massacre.

How can you possibly celebrate on a day of the worst mass shooting in American history? 

Dame Angela Lansbury & Dana Ivey to Lead Benefit Reading of LETTICE AND LOVAGE  Apr 25 2016, 04:22:53 PM

Angela Lansbury and Dana Ivey will head an all-star cast in the staged reading of the beloved British comedy, Lettice and Lovage, a benefit for The Acting Company, to be held one night only, Monday, June 13, at 7 PM, at The Kaye Playhouse at Hunter College, 68th Street between Park and Lexington Avenues, it was announced this afternoon.

Co-starring Patricia Conolly and original Broadway cast member Paxton Whitehead, the charming play tells the story of an eccentric tour guide, "Lettice Douffet." She channels her flair for the dramatic into embellishing the history of dreary Fustian House, the least stately of London's stately homes.

Lettice's flights of fantasy are cut short when she encounters "Lottie Schoen," a straight-laced bureaucrat from the Preservation Trust. As their animosity gives way to an unlikely friendship born of a shared enthusiasm for historical reenactments, Lettice and Lottie discover that their elaborate fantasies have unintended real-world complications.

Written by Peter Shaffer, directed by Mark Lamos and produced by The Acting Company's co-founder Margot Harley, Lettice and Lovage also features a group of Fustian House tourists played by recent alumni of The Acting Company. Designing lights is Greg MacPherson and Tim Boyce is designing sound.

The Acting Company's Executive Director Elisa Spencer-Kaplan promises "an unforgettable evening." The performance will be followed by dinner with the cast at the Union Club, 101 East 69th Street. This portion of the evening is only available at certain ticket levels.

The Acting Company brings live classical theatre to Americans who might otherwise never get a chance to enjoy and learn from it. Its education programs reach students who have limited access to arts, education and live theatre.

Since 1972, The Acting Company has developed the talents and skills of nearly 400 actors, including the young Kevin KlinePatti LuPoneRainn WilsonHarriet HarrisFrances Conroy,Jesse L. MartinJeffrey WrightDavid Ogden Stiers, David SchrammKeith DavidStephen DeRosa and Hamish Linklater, all of whom began their careers with it.

Show-only tickets may be purchased exclusively through The Kaye Playhouse, either onlinewww.hunter.cuny.edu/kayeplayhouse or by phone, 212-772-4448. They are priced at $250 for front/middle orchestra; $175 for rear orchestra and front mezzanine; $100 for rear mezzanine and $75 for the back two rows.

Donor-level tickets with priority seating without dinner are $500. Tickets with dinner start at $1,000 each. The donor-level tickets can be purchased exclusively through The Acting Companyby calling 212-258-3111.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Angela-Lansbury-Dana-Ivey-to-Lead-Benefit-Reading-of-British-Comedy-LETTICE-AND-LOVAGE-for-The-Acting-Company-20160425

Tony Award-winner Frankie Michaels has died at 60  Apr 2 2016, 03:51:57 PM

Very sad news. At the age of 10 he was the youngest Tony Award winner ever. RIP. 

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/ctpost/obituary.aspx?n=Francis-M-Chernesky&pid=179489469

Brian Bedford has died at 80  Jan 13 2016, 04:42:16 PM

Very sad news: http://playbill.com/news/article/seven-time-tony-nominated-actor-brian-bedford-dead-at-80-379395

R.I.P., sir...

It’s Today! Happy 90th Birthday to the extraordinary Dame Angela Lansbury!  Oct 16 2015, 03:20:57 PM

HorseTears said: "HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DAME ANGIE!  What a perfect occasion to announce that Chalk Garden revival, don't you think? 

From today article in Guardian:  

"There may be further curtain calls in her 90s. She is reported to be having conversations with the director Michael Grandage over a possible production in London or New York of Enid Bagnold’s drama, The Chalk Garden. Lansbury would play an ancient matriarch, Mrs St Maugham, a role that seems suited to her apart from the fact that the theatrical dame would have to age-down for a role that has generally been played by actors in their 70s.''

http://www.theguardian.com/stage/2015/oct/16/dame-angela-lansbury-marks-90th-birthday-with-oscar-hammerstein-award

It’s Today! Happy 90th Birthday to the extraordinary Dame Angela Lansbury!  Oct 16 2015, 05:36:29 AM

Here’s to many happy years and great roles to come!

Dame Angela is a true acting legend and beautiful, kind human being.

How lucky are we all that she continues to share her incredible talent with us all over the world. There is simply no one like her. Brava!

I feel there should be a theatre named after her.

It's Today! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0BmpR3yKTw

The Chalk Garden revival with Dame Angela Lansbury to open on B'way AND West End?  Sep 16 2015, 05:17:07 PM

Dame Angela will speak at a fundraiser for St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in CA on October 8th.

Here's what I found in news articles about the event:

On stage, she’s wowed audiences in the Broadway musicals “Gypsy,” “Mame” and “Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.” Lansbury, who turns 90 on Oct. 16, will next star in the play “The Chalk Garden” in London and New York City.

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2015/09/05/3793707_actress-angela-lansbury-to-speak.html?rh=1#storylink=cpy

“She considers herself a comedian in the classic sense,” Palmer said. “She has been working from her 16th birthday with ‘Gaslight,’ and she’s leaving here to open a new play, ‘The Chalk Garden’ in London at 90.”

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2015/09/16/3810432_cuesta-cambria-angela-lansbury.html?rh=1#storylink=cpy

Fantastic news if true. Looks like the show will play London first.

Cicely Tyson, Rita Moreno and Carole King named 2015 Kennedy Center Honorees  Jul 17 2015, 05:58:08 AM

Although I can always think of some deserving people this is a brilliant lineup. Huge congratulations to all!

Lansbury/Jones DRIVING MISS DAISY dvd available to Pre-Order!  Jul 17 2015, 05:56:55 AM

Fantastic news and I love that cover!

Now they need to do the same with Blithe Spirit and I can die happy. 

Lansbury/Jones DRIVING MISS DAISY To Air On PBS 7/17  Jul 17 2015, 05:54:21 AM

A friendly reminded that the play airs tonight. http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/

Apparently the play is eligible for 2016 Emmy consideration after all. I doubt Dame Angela will be a favorite for the win though, considering it’s a live production, so I have double feeling about it. At this point it would simply insulting not to award her after 19 unsuccessful nominations, but at the same time who want a pity overdue win?

'Driving Miss Daisy' review: Angela Lansbury, James Earl Jones are worth staying in for

5/5

Stay home and watch TV this Friday night.

Nothing out in the world will get better than savoring Angela Lansbury and James Earl Jones in Alfred Uhry’s wonderfully lean yet richly complex story of an elderly Southern lady and her elderly black chauffeur.

“Miss Daisy” has driven into town before, notably in the 1989 movie with Morgan Freeman and Jessica Tandy. This stage production proves just as satisfying.

Lansbury, stepping slightly out of the characters for which she's best known, plays Daisy Werthan. When we meet Daisy in November 1948, she’s 72, meaning she has spent her life in 20th century Georgia.

After she demolishes her car, her son Boolie (Boyd Gaines) hires her a chauffeur, Hoke Colburn (Jones).

While Miss Daisy resents having a driver, and tries at first to get Hoke fired, they gradually feel comfortable with each other and over 15 years become friends.

Friendship in that context, though, is complex business, shaped by the worlds in which they have both long lived.

Miss Daisy insists she’s not prejudiced, and probably believes it. As time goes by, she tries harder not to be. Hoke, who knows he must stay in his place to keep his job, has frustrations that always simmer and sometimes boil over.

Some have said “Miss Daisy” puts a genteel gloss on race relations, and that may be true. By telling a jagged story through two decent people, Uhry takes the path of understatement, and happily, these actors have the talent to maximize each word and gesture.

It’s a message that resonates, and a night well-spent.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/driving-daisy-review-worth-staying-friday-article-1.2294956

Roger Rees  Jul 11 2015, 06:38:25 AM

Very sad news. Had no idea Mr. Rees was ill. My he RIP.

Deepest condolences to his family and friends. 

Roger Rees  Jul 11 2015, 06:38:24 AM

Very sad news. Had no idea Mr. Rees was ill. My he RIP.

Deepest condolences to his family and friends. 

Confirmed: I Love Lucy Live Tour CANCELLED for 15-16 season  Jun 14 2015, 07:49:45 AM

I would rather watch Golden Girlz Live! with Jackie Beat. 

Chita Already Involved In New Broadway Bound Show?  Jun 13 2015, 07:18:09 PM

"One of my favorite songs.
"

Such a great song. Thank you for sharing. 

As for Miss Rivera I hope she'll continue to share her incredible talent with us for many years to come.  

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You