News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for TEACHEROFTHEATER

TEACHEROFTHEATER Profile Photo
Member Name: TEACHEROFTHEATER
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

May 12 2023, 07:45:09 PM

JOIN 18,300 Members and Growing.  Broadway Theater FB Group.  Free and Public, Of course.  Just click below.    

https://www.facebook.com/groups/133023562133268

Jan 17 2022, 03:39:47 PM

BRTHEATER Group on Facebook
 Jul 28 2021, 08:37:35 PM

Please join my new group for 

re: Comedic straight play.. suggestions PLEASE!
 Dec 14 2004, 02:37:02 PM
The Third Act of Neil Simon's PLAZA SUITE is rather brilliant and you might also be interested in the last act of his play, CALIFORNIA SUITE.
re: Wonderful news! La Cage is going to be made into a movie...
 Dec 14 2004, 01:54:43 PM
I think Clay could pull it off (you should pardon the expression) and appear on film to be the necessary age to have acted as mother to Georges' son for many years.

Can you imagine him singing "I am What I am?

re: Wonderful news! La Cage is going to be made into a movie...
 Dec 14 2004, 01:43:16 PM
For Georges in the film:

John Travolta or perhaps:

Richard Gere
Robin Williams(he played this in the nonmusical The Birdcage)
Matthew Broderick

for Albin:

Kevin Spacey or perhaps:

Johnny Depp
Russell Crowe
Nathan Lane (he played opposite Williams in Birdcage film)
Clay Aiken

re: On The Twentieth Century (1978 musical)
 Sep 30 2004, 03:25:37 PM
Magruder, of course you are right. Thanks for the correction. The correct list of 1978 nominees for featured actress in a musical is:

Nell Carter in Ain't Misbehavin'
Imogene Coca in On the Twentieth Century
Ann Reinking in Dancin'
Charlaine Woodard in Ain't Misbehavin'

re: nude scenes?
 Sep 27 2004, 04:57:25 PM
Alan has even more nudity in the film of EQUUS. In the movie he did indeed ride horses with no hanes or hose. But then, in the movie, the horses were not played by men. Hence, we certainly lost a great deal of perceived symbolism.
 Sep 27 2004, 02:43:25 PM
Pab, don't u wish Imogene had won a Tony for that performance? I sure do. She lost to Nell Carter for AIN'T MISBEHAVIN and I believe Patsy Kelly was also nominated that year for IRENE.

Luckily, some of Imogene's performance, spirit and joy were actually captured on the recording. It is difficult to listen to her rendition of "Repent" without a smile on your face and the reminder of the delight she gave us in the theater.

re: A Chorus Line Question
 Sep 27 2004, 02:39:22 PM
MargoChanning, I remember the adjustments well and I totally agree with you that both women we mentioned were incredible as Cassie. When either of them did MUSIC AND THE MIRROR, it truly was time to "fasten your seatbelts."
re: Looking for a genius on 'Promises, Promises'
 Sep 27 2004, 02:35:42 PM
I loved Promises, Promises with its terribly modern sounding Bacharach score (I believe it was the first Broadway show to use "pit backup singers")and its thrilling Michael Bennett choreography.

Jerry Orbach's Tony was richly deserved and he led a sublime supporting cast, full of faces familiar to theater, tv and filmgoers.

PROMISES, PROMISES is also one of the singular funniest Broadway musicals that ever existed. It is some of Neil Simon's best work.

Interesting

Sep 27 2004, 02:14:49 PM
pab, wasn't Imogene divine in that show??????? You are lucky, I would have enjoyed seeing Betty Comden's fill in performance.:)
re: A Chorus Line Question
 Sep 27 2004, 02:13:27 PM
if there is a "lead" in A CHORUS LINE, it is the part of Cassie.

Donna McKechnie won a Tony for Best Actress for the part.

Cassie is a great part to play, but indeed a difficult one. Remember,

alot of folks that haven't seen ACL think it is about "young people" who want to be dancers....

In Fact, ACL is more about dancers who are 30ish than 18 (there is of course the 18 yr old "wet dream boy"--but most of the focus is on the "older dancers")

Cas

re: nude scenes?
 Sep 27 2004, 01:57:56 PM
someone finally mentioned Oh,Calcutta and there are many others..to name a few:

LENNY

YENTL

ABELARD AND HELOISE

ULYSSES IN NIGHTTOWN

SIZWE BANZI IS DEAD

BENT

LET MY PEOPLE COME

EQUUS

...many others.......i will list them as my memory allows:)

Sep 27 2004, 01:46:05 PM
I loved ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY. It still bothers me that it lost the best musical Tony to AIN'T MISBEHAVIN, which is really a "revue."

"OUr pRIVATE world" is a gorgeous song and almost the whole score is delightful............Cullum, Coca, Kline and Kahn were simply sublime and Judy Kaye was sensational when she took over the role of Lily Garland from Madeline Kahn...

I love the recording and listen to it often....Alas, you cannot see the "train smoke" billowing from the orc

re: FUNNY GIRL...YOUR THOUGHTS...
 Sep 21 2004, 03:10:56 PM
how about the girl who played the Streisand "mini me" in her last concert tour.........? Was her name Lauren Frost or something like that????

Remember, at the beginning of the concert they had the "young" Barbra with her mother and the piano player at the recording studio...........and later the young Barbara's voice morphed into the real current day BARBRA and the concert began????

She is probably age appropriate now, but certainly does not have any "box office draw" power.

re: Shows You Walked Out On... That Everyone Else Seemed to Love
 Sep 21 2004, 02:56:35 PM
SticktoPriest, your grandparents are likely not insane. It seems they agreed with the majority of theatergoers (including me) who found SITPWG dreadfully boring onstage. Those of us "very involved" with theater know that in order to truly enjoy a Sondheim show, you must be familiar with the score, prior to seeing the show.

Many people fall in love with Sondheim shows via the recordings and kind of "romanticize" this love of the recording into a great respect for the actual stagework t

Fred Ebb, Broadway Lyricist of Cabaret and Chicago, Dead at 71 - playbill.com
 Sep 12 2004, 04:05:50 PM
https://www.broadwayworld.com/l.cfm?id=43013

I am stunned and deeply saddened. This man was an angel on earth. He was warm, charming, funny, caring, he was truly a class act ........my heart aches for those closest to him....most obviously, John Kander and of course Liza Minnelli (she always called him her true lucky star) and Chita Rivera.

He leaves behind a legacy of great theater music and wonderful, warmth to those who knew him. I guess his most famous songs are

New York, New York, Cabaret and perhaps All That Jazz. I read a while back that the show of his he most enjoyed attending virtually every New York performance of was 70, GIRLS,70.

70,Girls,70 has a delightful and addictive score. If you are a fan of the cd's of CHICAGO and CABARET and/or other Kander and Ebb shows, do not deprive yourself the joy of having the cd of 70,GIRLS,70.
It would please Fred Ebb to know that new generations were discoverng that score.

This is a very sad day for the world of theaterlovers........My condolences to everyone shedding tears for the loss of this genius and gentle man.

re: The Graham Norton Effect
 Sep 8 2004, 04:03:06 PM
this show is consistently delightful and sexy..........however.......I think it is "overbooked." It is often going along beautifully and they "go to something that was preprogrammed to do." I think he usually has too many guests......

I love the ELLEN DEGENERES show and have the same qualm about her show....I think it tends to "overbook" and it often has a brief segment with an enjoyable celebrity and then hurriedly that guest is replaced by another. ELLEN is a delight to be with, e

re: Show that had the greatest impact on your life
 Sep 5 2004, 07:27:22 PM
HELLO, DOLLY! starring Pearl Baily, because it was my first and it was amazing...............there was no turning back on the world of theater after seeing Dolly on Broadway.

the show that had at least equal overall impact on my life for many reasons was the original Broadway production of A CHORUS LINE.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You