News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Ronnik

Member Name: Ronnik
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Once on this Island Paper Mill
 Jun 8 2012, 02:38:10 PM
I will be seeing it 4 times, and wish I could see it more. Everyone has that one show that changed his or her life, and OOTI is mine. It makes me a little sad that tickets are so easy to come by, as it SHOULD be the hottest ticket around. I will be there at Thursday's matinee as well.
Rocky the musical.
 Jun 7 2012, 11:41:21 AM
Yes, that is indeed the case...
Once on this Island Paper Mill
 Jun 7 2012, 11:39:47 AM
You MUST, MUST MUST go... It is an extraordinary production. Gorgeous to look at and beautifully sung.
Rocky the musical.
 May 17 2012, 11:11:32 AM
Several things :

1) Although the idea may SOUND ridiculous, you should not judge until you see and hear it. I was at the workshop, and the score happens to be excellent. There are a lot of great musicals that people thought sounded like awful ideas at the start.

2) The production is opening in Germany because the producers who are putting up the money are German.

re: Humorous 'Unlucky in Love' Showtunes
 Oct 24 2008, 01:41:35 PM
"Times Like This" from LUCKY STIFF
For Ahrens & Flaherty fans
 Jul 10 2008, 07:43:10 PM
There are now two A&F websites. Their "official" is now at www.AhrensandFlaherty.com. This site now functions as a sort of snapshot/ overview of their career, And, I'm now running the authorized fan site, which is at www.wetellthestory.com This is where the stuff that used to be at ahrensandflaherty.com is now

There are some cool new features on the fan site, like a blog I have started, as well as an "alumni spotlight" that catches up with people who've worked on A&F shows.

re: Revised SEUSSICAL Will Get New Cast Recording
 Jun 10 2008, 02:59:39 PM
I've seen every incarnation of SEUSSICAL, and can honestly say that the version at the Lortel last summer was the one that made the most sense of any of them. The director, Marcia Milgrom Dodge, did a brilliant job of giving the story a context. It takes place in a schoolyard, and then all the kids "become" their Seussian counterparts. It was amazing. Of course, you don't actually see this on the CD, but still, it worked incredibly well. It was the first time that I felt like the show was s
re: Revised SEUSSICAL Will Get New Cast Recording
 Jun 10 2008, 02:25:55 PM
To answer some questions raised in this thread:

1) No, "The Lorax" is not on this recording.
2) The Cat is played by Shorey Walker (female) who played the Cat in the version that was at the Lortel last summer. The cast on this CD is the same cast from that production.
That production was BRILLIANT, and anyone who says they do not like the shortened version probably never saw this one, b/c it was phenomenal
3) Despite what others may think or say, THE GLORIOUS ONES cd WILL b

re: Has anyone heard anything about Evan Pappas?
 Apr 25 2008, 10:41:09 AM
He is doing well... recovering and out and about. I think someone reported that he said he was at about 75% or so.

I think everyone is relieved and grateful that he is doing so well.

Stokes, Marin and Ahrens & Flaherty -- FOR FREE!!!!
 Apr 9 2008, 03:41:25 PM
Pretty much my idea of heaven!

It's tomorrow, April 10th, at the Performing Arts Library (64th and Amsterdam). The program starts at 6, and seating will be on a first come/first served basis.

Should be an AWESOME evening

re: Favorite/Funniest Beginning of Show Warnings
 Jan 11 2008, 02:20:40 PM
I thought it was hilarious at GLORIOUS ONES when they said "photography is not permitted, but you may paint in oils."

Also, the I AM MY OWN WIFE in German was unique and funny at the time. Others have copied that now.

DVR Alert for fans of Ahrens & Flaherty, William Finn and Adam Guettel
 Dec 18 2007, 10:14:34 AM

DVR Alert: Lynn & Stephen recently taped an episode of the American Theater Wing's "Working in the Theater" seminars which focuses on composers and lyricists. The other guests are William Finn and Adam Guettel. The show will be broadcast in NYC on the CUNY station, with the following airdates:
12/30/2007:05:00PM-06:00PM
12/29/2007:11:00AM-12:00PM
12/28/2007:07:30PM-08:30PM
12/28/2007:02:00PM-03:00PM
12/28/2007:09:00AM-10:00AM
12/23/2007:05:00PM-06:00PM

re: Matinee decision tomorrow
 Oct 23 2007, 02:21:37 PM
Obviously, I'm biased, but why are your friends trying to dissuade you from seeing GLORIOUS ONES?? It's funny and heartfelt and has a terrific score. The cast is really top-notch, I'd certainly rather hear a new score than a jukebox one.

Just my opinion, of course...

Ronni

Ahrens & Flaherty at LCT tonight!
 Oct 23 2007, 02:16:15 PM
For A&F fans, Lynn and Stephen, along with Francine Prose, will be discussing the creation of THE GLORIOUS ONES as part of LCT's platform series. It's at 6 PM in the lobby of the Beaumont. It's free. If you have never had a chance to hear them discuss their work, take advantage of this opportunity.
re: My Favorite Year
 Aug 2 2007, 02:55:34 PM
I understand, of course, why you're saying you can't compare the books of MM and MFY. But, the reality is, that what Awards committees do all the time. If MFY and MM were opened in the same year, Joseph Dougherty and Catherine Johnson ( I think that's her name) would have been in the same category. And, even if it's not a great book, the MFY book is better than the MM book.

And, to answer the other question, Andrea Martin won the Tony b/c she stopped the show with PROFESSIONAL SHOW

Aug 1 2007, 04:36:48 PM
I actually love the song "The Gospel According to King"... which isn't really King's song, but... Part of the reason that character wasn't musicalized all that much was b/c Tom Mardirosian was more of a comedian than a singer, so they opted for the humor in terms of casting that role.

Also, Benjy's song is called "Larger Than Life", and I would say that that and "Shut Up and Dance" are the most "Classic F&A" songs in that score. However, I will say that I think their greatest strength

Aug 1 2007, 02:07:18 PM
The book wasn't THAT bad, especially compared to some of today's shows. ( MAMMA MIA, anyone?) But, many people felt that the show lacked the humor that was a hallmark of the movie. Most people missed the gangster subplot of the movie. Also, I know that Ahrens & Flaherty felt that they never quite got the character of Swann exactly right. However, the score is still really fun, and also still has its poignant moments. The "Musicals Tonight" production that was mounted a few years ago got some
re: N.Y Times article about Suessical, the little show that could
 Jul 13 2007, 04:45:02 PM
It's not at the Helen Hayes. It's at the Lortel.

Ronni

re: Composers you want to hear more from . . .
 Jul 13 2007, 04:38:44 PM
Hate to break it to you, but PRINCESS BRIDE is dead, and has been for a while. Guettel had creative and financial differences with William Goldman.

The composer I'm ALWAYS wanting to hear more from is shockingly obvious :)

re: Lea and Anika at Macy's Fireworks
 Jul 5 2007, 07:42:48 PM
"In Our Children's Eyes" is posted on the Ahrens & Flaherty website ( Stephen Flaherty wrote the music).

BTW, neither Lea nor Anika was at the fireworks.. They were just on the soundtrack.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You