pixeltracker

Stokes, Marin and Ahrens & Flaherty -- FOR FREE!!!!

Stokes, Marin and Ahrens & Flaherty -- FOR FREE!!!!

Ronnik
#1Stokes, Marin and Ahrens & Flaherty -- FOR FREE!!!!
Posted: 4/9/08 at 3:41pm

Pretty much my idea of heaven!

It's tomorrow, April 10th, at the Performing Arts Library (64th and Amsterdam). The program starts at 6, and seating will be on a first come/first served basis.

Should be an AWESOME evening

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#2re: Stokes, Marin and Ahrens & Flaherty -- FOR FREE!!!!
Posted: 4/9/08 at 3:47pm

why can't they do these things on Friday when I am there....

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#2re: Stokes, Marin and Ahrens & Flaherty -- FOR FREE!!!!
Posted: 4/9/08 at 3:47pm

I shall be there!

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

WaltSummersPI Profile Photo
WaltSummersPI
#3re: Stokes, Marin and Ahrens & Flaherty -- FOR FREE!!!!
Posted: 4/9/08 at 3:54pm

bwaygal1, what time are you getting there? I'm coming right from work, so save me a seat!

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#4re: Stokes, Marin and Ahrens & Flaherty -- FOR FREE!!!!
Posted: 4/9/08 at 3:57pm

Ditto. I hope to get there for 5:15-5:30. I'll save you a seat.

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

WaltSummersPI Profile Photo
WaltSummersPI
bwaylvsong
#6re: Stokes, Marin and Ahrens & Flaherty -- FOR FREE!!!!
Posted: 4/9/08 at 4:30pm

Ugh, if only they did this last year when I went to school across the street and not in a different state.

bwaylvsong
#7re: Stokes, Marin and Ahrens & Flaherty -- FOR FREE!!!!
Posted: 4/9/08 at 10:35pm

Wait, isn't Marin in London?

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#8re: Stokes, Marin and Ahrens & Flaherty -- FOR FREE!!!!
Posted: 4/10/08 at 9:25am

I'm going!

Yes, I thought she was in London, too. Not complaining, though.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
#9re: Stokes, Marin and Ahrens & Flaherty -- FOR FREE!!!!
Posted: 4/10/08 at 9:37am

Be sure to report back! I'm still getting over seeing Stokes in concert this past weekend. re: Stokes, Marin and Ahrens & Flaherty -- FOR FREE!!!!

broadwaybaby086
#10re: Stokes, Marin and Ahrens & Flaherty -- FOR FREE!!!!
Posted: 4/10/08 at 10:39am

Gonna make it happen somehow! :o)

"I'll cut you, Tracee Beazer!!!! ...Just kidding. I'd never cut anyone." -Tina Maddigan, 9/30/06, WS stage door
Avatar: JULIE "EFFING" WHITE, 2007 TONY WINNER. Thank God. I'm thinking about legally changing my name to Lizzie Curry...

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#11re: Stokes, Marin and Ahrens & Flaherty -- FOR FREE!!!!
Posted: 4/10/08 at 11:19pm

I heard from my best friend who went, and she said that there was no one to sing Wheels Of A Dream with *sigh* She wanted so bad to jump off her seat cause she was u/s Sarah on the national tour and could've totally sang it with him, but alas, BSM just talked through it????

Did I completely misunderstand her message? The phone connection wasn't the best and I haven't been able to get a hold of her.

jam_man
#12re: Stokes, Marin and Ahrens & Flaherty -- FOR FREE!!!!
Posted: 4/11/08 at 12:35am

Well, I couldn't go to this concert for many reasons, but I saw Stokes in concert last fall and he sang Wheels of a Dream by himself - he just sang the melody the whole way through. So I'd imagine it would go something like that.

"Who is Stephen Sondheim?" -roninjoey
"The man who wishes he had written Phantom of the Opera!" - SueleenGay

GO CARDINALS!!!

Cutielyricist Profile Photo
Cutielyricist
#13re: Stokes, Marin and Ahrens & Flaherty -- FOR FREE!!!!
Posted: 4/11/08 at 1:54am

It was pretty amazing..just to hear the backstories of the songs. I had a blast.

dancingthrulife04
#14re: Stokes, Marin and Ahrens & Flaherty -- FOR FREE!!!!
Posted: 4/11/08 at 11:01am

I wouldn't say he talked through it, Popular. He definitely sang it. The whole thing was pretty amazing.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

broadwaybaby086
#15re: Stokes, Marin and Ahrens & Flaherty -- FOR FREE!!!!
Posted: 4/11/08 at 11:08am

Like jam_man recounted, he just sang his part, and while you definitely heard Sarah's part in your head/ear, he was so fantastic that it definitely didn't matter. It was a wonderful evening. I was too young/in the wrong place to see the OBC (I saw the first national tour and was still a bit young, I think), I'm glad I was able to hear him sing "Wheels of a Dream" live.

"I'll cut you, Tracee Beazer!!!! ...Just kidding. I'd never cut anyone." -Tina Maddigan, 9/30/06, WS stage door
Avatar: JULIE "EFFING" WHITE, 2007 TONY WINNER. Thank God. I'm thinking about legally changing my name to Lizzie Curry...

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#16re: Stokes, Marin and Ahrens & Flaherty -- FOR FREE!!!!
Posted: 4/11/08 at 11:08am

Thanks for clearing that up. The message was staticy and my friend can be a bit dramatic LOL The only part of the message that was somewhat clear what that she was itching to sing along Sarah's part and that it was an awesome evening!

Would love to hear more about the backstories!

dancingthrulife04
#17re: Stokes, Marin and Ahrens & Flaherty -- FOR FREE!!!!
Posted: 4/11/08 at 11:15am

Yeah, I was kind of young to see Ragtime when it first opened, so to get to hear them sing the music live was pretty amazing.

Maybe your friend meant they talked through "Your Daddy's Son" because they wanted to talk about it but there was no one there to sing it?

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
#18re: Stokes, Marin and Ahrens & Flaherty -- FOR FREE!!!!
Posted: 4/11/08 at 3:09pm

Wow, what I wouldn't have given to see this -- and it was free! I really, really need to move to New York.

starlyricist Profile Photo
starlyricist
#19re: Stokes, Marin and Ahrens & Flaherty -- FOR FREE!!!!
Posted: 4/11/08 at 4:00pm

I think it worked beautifully as a solo. As Lynn said, it was about a man singing to his young son (and since Stokes has a young boy, it made it all the more poignant). Of course, it was hard not hearing Sarah's voice in my head, but it was great.

I'm sorry, but I thought Marin was FABULOUS. I wasn't in love with that new song from the song cycle that they're working on, but she was unbelievable doing "Goodbye My Love" into "Back to Before".

Got to see that AND A Catered Affair last night. I was one spoiled theatre queen...er, goer.

There are some people in the world who say that writing stories, or composing music or dancing sparkly dances is easy for them. Nothing interferes with their ability to create. While I celebrate their creative freedom, a little part of me just wants to punch those motherf*ckers in the teeth...[tos]

dancingthrulife04
#20re: Stokes, Marin and Ahrens & Flaherty -- FOR FREE!!!!
Posted: 4/11/08 at 4:36pm

I'm sorry, but I thought Marin was FABULOUS.

Why are you sorry? I thought she was fabulous, too.

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#21re: Stokes, Marin and Ahrens & Flaherty -- FOR FREE!!!!
Posted: 4/11/08 at 4:38pm

Maybe your friend meant they talked through "Your Daddy's Son" because they wanted to talk about it but there was no one there to sing it?

THAT is probably what she was talking about. Thanks! :)