News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for mlsheehan

mlsheehan Profile Photo
Member Name: mlsheehan
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

King James - Taper
 Jun 14 2022, 01:19:06 AM

I’ve sat all over the Taper and it’s true there aren’t any “bad” seats, but there are better cheap seats. Go for anything at least 5, or so, seats from either wall (especially in the front few rows). Anything away from these far sides is fine even the back rows of the theater are great. It’s a very nicely designed space. I sit back and toward center frequently and never had a complaint (and I’m a mid-orchestra kind of guy in a Broadway theatre).

CLYDE'S on Broadway Will Sell Limited, Real-Time Tickets to Virtual/Streamed Performances in January
 Nov 22 2021, 07:02:33 PM

I was excited by this announcement, but $59 is a “no” for me.  I have watched quite a few things on streaming since COVID and find it somewhat enjoyable. However, it really doesn’t compare to being personally in the theater.  

I know this is an experiment and I’m hoping there will be more of this, but for me the price point is too high.  I’d do this if I were under 30 and qualified for the $30 tickets. 

Bway League WILL Release Weekly Grosses
 Oct 29 2021, 01:07:07 AM

It looks like the average ticket price (across all shows) is $125.88.  I believe my calculation is correct (total gross/# of seats filled), but someone correct me if not.

I'm truly surprised it's that high, with all the discussion of shows struggling and papering.  I know that figure doesn't say anything about individual shows.  And, I'm sure there are several shows still getting premium prices that offset the shows struggling to sell seats ...

DIANA: THE MUSICAL On Netflix - News & Discussion Thread
 Oct 2 2021, 03:38:26 PM

Dupe post

DIANA: THE MUSICAL On Netflix - News & Discussion Thread
 Oct 2 2021, 03:38:25 PM

@Marlothom

Thanks for confirming what I expected from the comments on this thread.  I saw this at La Jolla and pretty much hated it.  It’s just misguided mess of a show that really doesn’t seem to say anything that isn’t a cliche.  Additionally, the characters as presented in the show do not really have much of the personalities of the real people they are meant to represent.  

I have Netflix but I’m not even sure if I coul

Mrs. Doubtfire is gonna get protested
 Sep 20 2021, 12:17:11 PM

So tired of being told what I should get upset about and what I need to protest.  

OP your life is going to be really rough if you are going to get riled up about everything that you view as going against your views. 

Mrs. Doubtfire is gonna get protested
 Sep 20 2021, 12:17:10 PM

So tired of being told what I should get upset about and what I need to protest.  

OP your life is going to be really rough if you are going to get riled up about everything that you view as going against your views. 

The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread
 Jun 7 2021, 01:00:19 AM

Really you can't even tell it's a musical!

Ha ha.  I love it.  I can't wait to watch the whole thing.

DRAMA BOOKSHOP opening June 10th, 2021
 Jun 6 2021, 10:33:30 PM

How Lin-Manuel Miranda and Friends Made an Old Bookstore New from New York Times 6/6/21

"The interior — 3,500 square feet on the main floor, plus a 3,000 square foot basement — is designed by David Korins, the “Hamilton” set designer. There’s an octagonal banquette inspired by a piece of furniture in the 1940 film “The Shop Around the Corner” and, for “Hamilton” fans, a pair of armchairs that are replicas of the one George Washington sits in during the musical’s cabinet battles.

Six people who worked at the store’s former location are rejoining the staff, a spokesman said."

And several pictures.

(edited to add quotes and comments)

RIP Douglas Turner Ward
 Feb 24 2021, 09:58:10 PM

RIP to Mr. Ward.

@A Director - thanks for posting this.

Jingle Jangle - Netflix
 Dec 11 2020, 10:22:40 PM

I couldn't help but think that Madelen Mills would make a terrific Dorothy in Wiz (or Wizard of Oz).  I'd love to hear her take on Wiz songs and she has the right about of perk and spunk for Dorothy.

John Lithgow's Best Broadway Performance
 Feb 20 2020, 11:12:50 PM

I know this doesn't count as I saw it Los Angeles, but he and Glenda Jackson were the leads in "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf".  He was magnificent.  It was an amazing performance.

West Side Story Revival will cut I Feel Pretty and Somewhere Ballet
 Nov 9 2019, 10:30:10 PM

As long as the blood rain shower is still in at the end, I'm all for it!

Teaser trailer for Judy w/Renee Zellweger
 Aug 31 2019, 11:16:57 PM

She might very well be getting raves.  However, she could come up with cure for cancer and this board would tear her apart. 

Personally, I’m looking forward to the movie.  

DIANA TO TRANSFER
 Aug 12 2019, 05:21:08 PM

I saw this in La Jolla and it's terrible... a turd in a pretty frock.  None of the parts (nor the actors) sound or act like the actual people.  Yes, there is a vague resemblance, but de Waal is vanilla.  She has none of Diana's charisma.  Erin Davie was excellent.  I actually thought the Camilla character was more interesting.  I'd like to see a musical about her (i.e. like Evita).   

The music is generic and doesn't

Betty Buckley is out again?
 Feb 4 2019, 09:54:33 PM

Saw her on Saturday and the whole show was wonderful.  She's quite good in the part - I really felt she did good job with the comedy but really nailed the poignancy.   Her Before the Parade Passes By brought a tear to my eye.

The rest of the cast was spot on - not a weak link in the bunch.  This is a terrific show and those waiting for the tour to hit town are in for a treat.

RENT Live on Fox
 Jan 30 2019, 12:36:45 AM

So watching this from my DVR and ... not sure what show you "critics" saw but this is by far the best version of RENT that I've seen.   Valentina isn't the best singer but has plenty of presence.  This is the first Mimi that I thought, "Yeah, she could work in a club and is 19".   Overall, I'm really enjoying it.

This does remind me of when the movie came out and this board ripped everything to shreds about it.  Not a great

Moulin Rouge Broadway Ticket Prices
 Jan 20 2019, 07:14:48 PM

Yeah, same experience here.  Planning my early December trip.  And thought, yeah fun time.  BUT not at those prices. 

They will have to offer some substantial discounts to get my and my friends in that theater.  I don’t care how spectacular it looks, not worth it for those prices.  Orchestra section is ridiculously priced. 

I guess they think they have Hamilton level excitement for this.  Good luck!

Trip Report December 2018
 Dec 27 2018, 08:13:39 PM

Thanks for the fun read.  I remember when trip reports were very common on the boards.  I always enjoyed reading them.  For a West Coaster (like me) it is always fun to get the input of folks that don’t have ready, easy access to NYC. 

I, also, enjoyed your planning questions and posts. 

Hundred Days at NYTW & LJPH
 Sep 21 2018, 03:23:02 PM

Just a heads up to the west coasters - The Bengsons are performing this at La Jolla Playhouse from 9/22 to 10/21/18.  

I'm glad to hear that it's good.  I don't actually get to see it until very late in the run.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You