King James - Taper

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#1King James - Taper
Posted: 6/13/22 at 12:18am

Another phenomenal play by Rajiv Joesph.  Funny, sharply observed, wistful and warm - the play directed with precision by Kenny Leon makes for great night out at the theater.  Glenn and Chris are a phenomenal duo and giving truly outstanding performances at the Taper.   Production Design is excellent without getting into too much detail as to not spoil anything.  

I read in a piece that Leon said it was going to Broadway - where I think it would be a huge hit.  I know buzz from Chicago was really strong as well as reviews.  Los Angeles Times gave the show a deservingly fantastic review. With such strong critical response how could it not 

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/story/2022-06-09/review-rajiv-josephs-new-drama-king-james-mark-taper-forum

As I was walking out of the theater, saw LA City Hall lit up in Pride Colors and it got me thinking of this play from a Queer perspective - neither character identifies as Queer - but the strong bond between the two men - their relationship - had me seeing the play a bit from a different sense. As is the case here, sports talk (there isn't an overwhelmingly amount - don't let that put off any non sports fans) serves as the entry way for a straight male friendship.  And that part, that passion about something else, something else that connects two people, is Universal.  

conealpetterson
#2King James - Taper
Posted: 6/13/22 at 12:38am

Thank you for the report.  I can’t wait to see it later this month. 

JasonC3
#3King James - Taper
Posted: 6/13/22 at 7:20am

This from the Chris Jones review in the Chicago Tribune is an apt summary of my experience with the play when it was at Steppenwolf:

"The play, which stars the warm and vulnerable duo of Glenn Davis and Chris Perfetti (”Abbott Elementary&rdquoKing James - Taper, likely will be a big hit for Steppenwolf and rightly so. It is a simple piece of highly commercial theater, short, not overly taxing of its exhausted audience, and surely autobiographical. It’s also full of heart, un-preachy and filled with humor and a healing racial energy. Ergo, it’s very well-timed."

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#4King James - Taper
Posted: 6/13/22 at 5:50pm

VernonGersch said: "As I was walking out of the theater, saw LA City Hall lit up in Pride Colors and it got me thinking of this play from a Queer perspective - neither character identifies as Queer - but the strong bond between the two men - their relationship - had me seeing the play a bit from a different sense. As is the case here, sports talk (there isn't an overwhelmingly amount - don't let that put off any non sports fans) serves as the entry way for a straight male friendship. And that part, that passion about something else, something else that connects two people, is Universal.

"

I’m glad that more and more artists are examining homosociality, the way men relate to each other socially and emotionally without a romantic or sexual level. There’s been so much discourse about the phenomenon of men relying on women to do their emotional labor since men don’t open up about emotional or psychological issues to other men. I think that’s changing, hopefully; millennials and Gen Z in particular have grown up with more fictional male roles models who are able to be nurturing, vulnerable and emotional without being perceived as weak. (Steve Harrington comes to mind immediately.)

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#5King James - Taper
Posted: 6/13/22 at 5:59pm

VernonGersch said: "Another phenomenal play by Rajiv Joesph. Funny, sharply observed, wistful and warm - the play directed with precision by Kenny Leon makes for great night out at the theater. Glenn and Chris are a phenomenal duo and giving truly outstanding performances at the Taper. Production Design is excellent without getting into too much detail as to not spoil anything.

I read in a piece that Leon said it was going to Broadway - where I think it would be a huge hit. I know buzz from Chicago was really strong as well as reviews. Los Angeles Times gave the show a deservingly fantastic review. With such strong critical response how could it not

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/story/2022-06-09/review-rajiv-josephs-new-drama-king-james-mark-taper-forum

As I was walking out of the theater, saw LA City Hall lit up in Pride Colors and it got me thinking of this play from a Queer perspective - neither character identifies as Queer - but the strong bond between the two men - their relationship - had me seeing the play a bit from a different sense. As is the case here, sports talk (there isn't an overwhelmingly amount - don't let that put off any non sports fans) serves as the entry way for a straight male friendship. And that part, that passion about something else, something else that connects two people, is Universal.

Seating wise, I'm looking at the cheap seats on the sides. Would the view be fine w/ the design/direction? 

Dan6
#6King James - Taper
Posted: 6/13/22 at 7:04pm

I haven't seen this production yet, but there's really not a bad seat at the Taper. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#7King James - Taper
Posted: 6/13/22 at 7:28pm

Honestly not really interested in the show, but more so excited to see something at the Taper, so was just curious. 

VernonGersch
#8King James - Taper
Posted: 6/14/22 at 12:08am

I actually think if you're all the way over to one side you might miss just one small unspoken moment on the staircase 

mlsheehan Profile Photo
mlsheehan
#9King James - Taper
Posted: 6/14/22 at 1:19am

I’ve sat all over the Taper and it’s true there aren’t any “bad” seats, but there are better cheap seats. Go for anything at least 5, or so, seats from either wall (especially in the front few rows). Anything away from these far sides is fine even the back rows of the theater are great. It’s a very nicely designed space. I sit back and toward center frequently and never had a complaint (and I’m a mid-orchestra kind of guy in a Broadway theatre).

VernonGersch
#10King James - Taper
Posted: 6/15/22 at 2:26pm

Curious to other folks' take on the show

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#11King James - Taper
Posted: 6/15/22 at 3:58pm

Hoping to win the lottery for this one. 

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#12King James - Taper
Posted: 6/20/22 at 2:01am

My friend ended up winning lottery for todays matinee. It was about half full and our seats were literally front row center. I went in not knowing what to expect and was beyond pleasantly surprised. I don’t remember ever seeing a friendship between two platonic male friends be so nuanced and complicated and endearing and sweet all at the same time. I would see this again and really hope it has a life beyond the Taper. Highly recommending this show, and not just to sports fans. No love or knowledge about sports needed to enjoy.

Updated On: 6/20/22 at 02:01 AM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#13King James - Taper
Posted: 6/20/22 at 8:41pm

Had no clue there is a lottery. Will be doing that. Thanks! 

broadwayindie
#14King James - Taper
Posted: 6/21/22 at 9:11am

Saw this in Chicago and initially thought it was okay, but a month or so later it is a show that still has me thinking about the deep relationship between the two characters. There is something to be said about a show that is so complete, but you want to explore this relationship more because you have fallen in love with these characters and their friendship. It's a truly remarkable show and the performances are incredible.

BoringBoredBoard40
#15King James - Taper
Posted: 6/21/22 at 4:41pm

is this the kind of show where EVERYBODY is winning the lotto?

I will be in town for a limited time towards the end of the run and wondering if I should pay $35 now or chance it on the lottery...

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#16King James - Taper
Posted: 6/21/22 at 4:55pm

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "is this the kind of show where EVERYBODY is winning the lotto?

I will be in town for a limited time towards the end of the run and wondering if I should pay $35 now or chance it on the lottery...
"

There is also a discount code ‘CAVALIERS’ for $30 tickets. 

BoringBoredBoard40
#17King James - Taper
Posted: 6/21/22 at 5:15pm

Popular said: 
There is also a discount code ‘CAVALIERS’ for $30 tickets."

yes this is what I meant by paying $35 versus chancing it on the lottery

UncleCharlie
#18King James - Taper
Posted: 6/22/22 at 6:09pm

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "Popular said:
There is also a discount code ‘CAVALIERS’ for $30 tickets."

yes this is what I meant by paying $35 versus chancing it on the lottery
"

If you can enter over the course of 3-5 performances, I'd say the chances are decent you'll win one of them. We're not talking Plaza Suite here. But if it's got to be one specific performance or even one of two, then it's 50/50 especially if your choices are Friday or Saturday night or Saturday and Sunday matinees which are almost everyone's first choices..

Larry6417
#19King James - Taper
Posted: 6/22/22 at 8:28pm

VernonGersch said: "Curious to other folks' take on the show"

KING JAMES is not selling well. Please go. You will not be disappointed!

The play is wonderful, but light. What makes it so captivating are the performances, especially Chris Perfetti.

Rajiv Joseph doesn't write a bad play. His greatest IMHO is "Bengal Tiger..." Why it was such a bomb in NY with Robin Williams is beyond me. The productions in LA at the Kirk Douglas and the Taper with Kevin Tighe were nothing short of magnificent. 

KING JAMES should go into NY.

Dan6
#20King James - Taper
Posted: 7/1/22 at 1:48am

Saw this tonight and it was just delightful. A funny, insightful, and unexpectedly moving play with a couple of great performances.  The theater was half empty, so for some reason it's not connecting with potential audiences (and it's not that people aren't going back to theaters, because when I saw Slave Play at the Taper a few months ago it was packed).  Maybe people think it's just about basketball, which it most definitely isn't.  I hope they can figure out a better way to market, because this should go to NY and be seen.  Highly recommended. 

Ted Li
#21King James - Taper
Posted: 7/1/22 at 9:49am

Saw the show a couple days ago. I don't normally see plays, and I thought it was great! Just like the OG post says, it doesn't matter if you know sports or not. I don't, but I went because I really like Perfetti in Abbott Elementary, and was intrigued by the story related to the ups and downs about friendship, and how it changed based on their views in social classes, race, and life decisions. And I got a centered Row D ticket for 30 bucks! It's so worth it.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#22King James - Taper
Posted: 7/1/22 at 3:32pm

Did you do a rush or just buy online? 

I think it's def. the name that turns people off. I love seeing theater but thought ooh it's about sports I probably won't be interested... but all of the terrific reviews have me interested. 

BoringBoredBoard40
#23King James - Taper
Posted: 7/1/22 at 5:10pm

Isn't the title suppose to be a tongue in cheek riff on King Lear?

anyways ended up winning the lottery for BOTH shows tomorrow lol (only going to the matinee)

looking forward to this one

SouthernCakes
#24King James - Taper
Posted: 7/1/22 at 6:30pm

Have the code for the night show?

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#25King James - Taper
Posted: 7/1/22 at 8:33pm

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "Isn't the title suppose to be a tongue in cheek riff on King Lear?

anyways ended up winning the lottery for BOTH shows tomorrow lol (only going to the matinee)

looking forward to this one
"

i won again for tomorrow as well! Excited to see it again and also introduce the show to another friend.