News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for MikeK3

MikeK3 Profile Photo
Member Name: MikeK3
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Jefferson Mays in A Christmas Carol
 Dec 2 2021, 02:20:43 PM

Has anyone heard if this will be available for viewing again this year?  The search I made yielded nothing.  It seems odd that it would simply disappear after the initial release in 2020.

Plays that would work particularly well on zoom?
 Jul 3 2020, 10:43:04 PM
Michael Frayn's Copenhagen. It was excellent on the radio, and I think it would play very well online. Only three characters, and a level of stylization that calls for a non-representational production. The film was good, but the photorealism of it pulled me away from the essence of the piece. It would be right at home on Zoom!
Tom Waits On Stage
 Jan 28 2020, 04:01:15 PM

I saw him in "Frank's Wild Years" with Steppenwolf back in the '80s.  I honestly don't remember too much about it (my memories of the musical numbers have been effectively overwritten by the performances on his "Frank's" solo album), and there doesn't seem to be much information on it online.  I did find this, however, and it's pretty interesting, particularly for those of us in this particular niche:

https://www.tomwaitsfan.com/tom%20waits%20library/www.tomwaitslibrary.com/frankswildyears-introduction.html

Quite a cast of Steppenwolf regulars, William Schimmel on accordion, plus "incidental trickery" by Teller!

Merrily we roll along - title?
 Dec 9 2019, 10:54:33 AM
I remember singing this in music class as a tot:

Merrily we roll along,
Roll along, roll along!
Merrily we roll along,
Laughing all the way!

It was the same tune as "Mary Had a Little Lamb."

Theater References in
 Nov 30 2019, 11:28:33 PM
Going back to 2018, there's Hugh Grant's jaw-dropping "Rain on the Roof" production number finale in "Paddington 2." Just when I thought I couldn't have liked the movie more, they release the Sondheim!
Show suggestions!
 Jun 28 2019, 01:27:09 PM

TodayTix has $30 rush tickets for the Yiddish-language "Fiddler on the Roof." It is a beautiful show, and they have a Thursday matinee, so you might be able to add an extra show to your schedule without breaking the bank.

And, echoing so many others on this thread, "Hadestown" is absolutely extraordinary.  I hope you have good luck with the rush line!

Jun 5 2019, 01:34:14 PM

"Anais has been very open that when they went to edit and mix the performances, they realized they needed more time to finish it at a level where it was exactly what they wanted. So, the complete thing isn't ready. This isn't a strategy. They probably thought releasing something would be better than holding the whole thing back, but nevertheless, the Internet persisted."

I'm sure haterobics is right.  Of course they wanted the album out on June

Hadestown Reviews
 May 4 2019, 12:53:30 PM

Robbie2 said: "Interesting bit: I was talking with my agent friend and he told me that they cut the size of the workers chorus from 7 to 5 for the Broadway production in order to pay the 5 leads more $$$."

That is interesting.  I know it was assumed that the five principals from London would transfer to Broadway, but it seemed to me that it took an awfully long time for the official announcement.  At the time, I was very curious as to what was going on behi

Museums with theatre or film artifacts
 Apr 7 2019, 02:28:58 PM

I'd definitely recommend the Museum of the Moving Image in Queens.  Quite a bit to see, including a fantastic Jim Henson exhibit, and a very interesting room dedicated to film make-up, including the masks used for Orson Welles in "Citizen Kane" and Dustin Hoffman in "Little Big Man." Some cool interactive attractions as well.  Worth the trip!

Interesting
 Apr 5 2019, 11:31:08 PM

Sorry Kad...I typed Mac, I meant Kad. Guess I had judy on my mind.

Interesting
 Apr 5 2019, 11:25:12 PM

Kad said: "Sauja captured my thoughts on this very well.

This is a work I'd really like to read. The text is often funny, sometimes beautiful, and full of ideas- but the production is so full of, well, a lot of things, so I feel like I wasn't able to fully process what Mac was actually saying.

It is undeniably characteristic of Taylor Mac, though, who takes a throw-it-all-in approach and has no fear of failure.
"

Thank you Mac. Thank you

The Official TDF Thread
 Apr 2 2019, 02:59:33 PM

JDonaghy4 said: "TDF killing it recently."

Yes! Last week we got great center orchestra seats for "Gary" and "Superhero."  We also got 10th row center for "Fiddler" via the Today Tix rush.  Wish we could have stayed in New York for a few more days...so many good offers.

Also saw "Hadestown" (got the presale $49 tix back in December).  Jump on the TDF offer while it's available-it's truly spectacula

Gary: A Sequel To Titus Andronicus Previews
 Apr 2 2019, 02:37:47 PM

For what it's worth, I took my two sons (ages 15 and 20) and they both loved it. Even if you aren't entirely convinced by the play, the performances are remarkable.  It's an experience unlikely to be repeated!

BTW, I got tickets for last Wednesday night through TDF, and we were seated in the middle of the eighth row orchestra. The Booth is small, and most seats are good...but we felt pretty luck to get those seats!

Great West End Musicals
 Feb 10 2019, 10:17:19 AM

I have to put in a vote for Valmouth, as well. Brilliant campy fun, and unexpectedly moving...there is nothing like it. Both recordings are good, though I would opt for the Chichester revival. It has several of the original leading ladies, but caught 25 years later, when they have aged into their roles beautifully. And as much as I love Cleo Laine on the first recording, Bertice Reading is amazing on the newer one. There was also a BBC radio version floating around, which has a generous helpi

The Official TDF Thread
 Nov 1 2018, 01:14:19 PM

Has anyone gotten TDF seats for The Waverly Gallery?  They just posted some new dates this afternoon, and I got two for next Wednesday's matinee. I'm curious to hear what kind of seats people have been getting.

Play That Goes Wrong running time
 Oct 30 2018, 11:37:28 AM

I'm in town on a Monday night to see a 9:30 pm show at Dizzy's Club Coca-Cola, and was considering trying to squeeze in a 7:00 pm performance of "The Play That Goes Wrong."  Is the 2 hour running time I see in most of the listings accurate?  Can anyone offer any insight on whether I could make it in time to Dizzy's from the Lyceum? Thanks!

HADESTOWN to open in London, Broadway in 2019
 Aug 14 2018, 02:31:38 PM

Right?  For me, seeing that De Shields is joining the cast is the most exciting part of this announcement.  The wicked authority he always brings will be great for Hermes.  Incidentally, he did a reading as Hermes sometime between the Off-Broadway run and the Edmonton production.  At the time, I was really hoping he would become a "Hadestown" fixture, but when the Canada cast was announced, that did not appear to be in the cards.  So glad he is going to part

Itinerary?
 May 2 2018, 12:36:03 PM

Don't miss Once on This Island! It was never a favorite show of mine, but this production has made a convert of me.  The staging at Circle in the Square is a beautiful and unique experience, unlikely to be recreated should it eventually tour.  The entire cast is terrific, and it's a real treat to see them in such an intimate setting. 

TKTS Booth?
 Mar 16 2018, 12:43:52 PM

Another option is StubHub...I got Sunday matinee tickets for "The Band's Visit" there a couple of weeks ago.  Nice side orchestra seats for about $60 each.  It's definitely worth a look!

Could a revival of Peter Pan like this work on Broadway?
 Mar 8 2018, 02:11:20 PM

fashionguru_23 said: "Does anyone know if I were to license the show today, what would it say about "Ugg-a-Waa?" Have they changed it since "Peter Pan Live?""

No, the only version you can license still has "Ugg-a-Wug."  Apparently all the changes made for the live television version are property of NBC.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You