News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for SempreLiberal

SempreLiberal Profile Photo
Member Name: SempreLiberal
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

After Bruce, who?
 Aug 27 2018, 08:49:28 PM

goodlead said: "Little as I like the idea, Springsteen's Broadway success may inspire other pop acts to take their chance on solo concert runs on Broadway. We already have an excess of jukebox musicals; the next step is to jettison the book and simply perform the songs.. Do you think this might happen, and who are the likely perpetrators?"

I could see Billy Joel filling in for Bruce for a few weeks. 

Jersey? Long Island? Similar tough New York-ish are

Musical Theatre Songs You Never Want To Hear Again
 Aug 27 2018, 08:44:29 AM

raddersons said: "Over the past five years I’ve heard people sing “Think of Me” from Phantom at karaoke at least once a year. Now I can’t hear it without cringing. No one wants to hear “Think of Me” at karaoke. Read the room, people!"

They’re clearly not thinking of you!  Next time just stand up and growl “insolent fool!” 

Take a Break (where?)
 Aug 27 2018, 06:38:59 AM

Dollypop said: "The Schuyler Mansion is just outside of Albany and right on the banks of the Hudson River. It was overflowing a bit when I visited a few years ago and the water was only a few yards from the main door of the mansion.
"

Excellent. Thank you. 

Take a Break (where?)
 Aug 26 2018, 07:35:27 PM

dramamama611 said: "Possibly This"

Amazing. Saratoga makes a lot of sense. 

Can you take videos during curtain call
 Aug 26 2018, 07:31:21 PM

JSquared2 said: "There is no filming allowed during the performance. That includes curtain call. "

True. Although there are often many people taking pictures (which could well be videos) during curtain calls, I have never seen an usher intervene, since simultaneously many people are exiting the theater. 

Take a Break (where?)
 Aug 26 2018, 06:36:24 PM

The Schuyler family was from Albany.

Does anyone know where Eliza was suggesting they spend the summer in “Take a Break”? (lyrics below)

Did history record a specific location?  If not, any speculations?  Lake George?  Cooperstown?

I’m trying to plan a weekend next summer. 

”Take a break ... / Run away with us for the summer, let's go upstate ... / We can all go stay with my father ... / There's a lake I know

Aug 26 2018, 02:05:14 PM
The kids’ songs from Les Miz: Castle on a Cloud and Little People.

Aug 26 2018, 01:54:38 PM

BalconyClub said: "Though I love it when SEEING Rent, I always skip Over The Moon when listening to the CD."

I agree. It shows how mediocre a talent Maureen is. In that case, it does the job very well. But it’s painful to listen to again. I always skip it. 

Same for me with “Your Eyes.” Roger clearly was not a great songwriter. The best part of the song is by Puccini: Musetta’s theme in the electric guitar. &nbs

Funniest musical theater songs
 Jul 23 2018, 11:41:37 PM

“A Little Priest” from Sweeney Todd is my gold standard.

“As We Stumble Along” from The Drowsy Chaperone is a close second.

Jeff Loeffelholz suicide news coverage
 Jul 10 2018, 10:31:08 PM
if the producers wanted to fire Mr. Loeffelholz “for cause,” would having Bobbie and Stifelman’s statements saying that he was making mistakes, not audible, etc,,been enough to make the case?

It seems that if that were the purpose of this “rehearsal,” then I’d assume the producers were directly behind this.

If so, would anyone take seriously such an “investigation” run by them?

May he rest in peace.

Riedel on Diana Rigg being annoyed Ambrose misses Sundays
 Jul 6 2018, 10:57:51 PM

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 said: "...LCT could have handled her going down to 7 performances a lot better as the timing seems very last minute, but after a month of so people will know ahead of time that she's missing Sunday matinees and can plan accordingly. So at least this is more of a preemptive move that gives people a few months of notice if they buy tickets later on."

I checked the website and Telecharge during the day, and I did not see anything to alert

Stars who have regular days off
 Jul 6 2018, 08:17:47 PM

With the news about Diana Rigg’s comments about Lauren Ambrose’s taking Sunday matinees off, I had a few questions:

1) When a star of a show has a schedule where they work fewer than 8 shows a week, is that Information put on the play’s website? And/or the appropriate Ticketmaster/Telecharge site? If not, should it be? (Shouldn’t the buyer be made aware?)

2) I know no one is ever guaranteed to see a star, but it seems that when a star has a predictable da

Matthew Broderick In "The Closet"ntnt
 Jul 6 2018, 02:47:04 PM
This is the best Subject line.
BANDSTAND! - Fathom Events June 25th-28th
 Jul 2 2018, 11:29:22 AM

Steve C. said: "Laura Osnes and Corey Cott (and his hairy chest) really do rule this show emotionally and vocally. They are both terrific!!"

His hairy chest is even better than Alastair Brammer’s in Fathom’s “Miss Saigon.”

Maybe we need a new category: “Best Feature (of an) Actor” ?

Filmed shows (Bandstand, Newsies, Saigon)
 Jun 30 2018, 12:40:25 PM
Can anyone with an NYC library card go and see the musicals archived at the Lincoln Center branch?
What if BANDSTAND opened this awards season?
 Jun 29 2018, 01:17:37 PM

It’s hard to imagine vets who played jazz wouldn’t know other black musicians in Cleveland who also happened to have served (I Know a Guy) , even if in different units/branches. These guys all served in different units and branches anyway. Since there was nothing explicitly racial regarding casting or plot in the show, it would have been perfectly reasonable to cast persons of color.

I must admit, I really love this mini-trend (?) of shows where the actor

BANDSTAND! - Fathom Events June 25th-28th
 Jun 29 2018, 12:18:52 PM

As Beth Leavel leaned in to offer some seasoned wisdom to Laura Osnes, did anyone wonder if she might burst into:

https://youtu.be/X6C4cTS7NNI

Please tell me she did it at least once in rehearsal.

Saddest songs in musical theater
 Jun 29 2018, 12:04:27 AM

I agree a lot that have been mentioned:

“I’ll Cover You (Reprise)” from Rent

“Around the World” from Grey Gardens

“Children and Art” from Sunday

“It’s Quiet Uptown” and “”Who Lives Who Dies...” from Hamilton

“Empty Chairs af Empty Tables” from Les Miserables (I’d also add “Valjean’s Death“.)

“This Nearly Was M

Jun 28 2018, 06:20:27 PM
Thanks - I meant that since all 3 have been shown in movie theaters as a special release (I think all were through Fathom Events), I was really trying to find out if they were filmed specifically for this purpose of such a movie theater release.

And, if so, are other shows are in the pipeline?

Jun 28 2018, 05:57:06 PM

Were Newsies, Bandstand, and Miss Saigon filmed specifically for future release?

If so, are any other shows in the works?

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You