News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for stage_door76

stage_door76 Profile Photo
Member Name: stage_door76
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: August: Osage County to have Australian season in 2009  Oct 1 2008, 08:14:45 PM
I agree - providing all goes well with MTC in 2009, STC would snap it up in a second. So go see Cate
Wicked Australia cast rocked by sudden death of their Wizard, Rob Guest  Oct 1 2008, 08:07:09 PM
From Aussietheatre.com

Theatre legend Rob Guest dies, aged 57

Australian theatre veteran Rob Guest has died at the age of 57 after suffering a massive stroke at his Melbourne home on Tuesday night.

Guest collapsed at around 10pm on Tuesday while working on his computer and was rushed to hospital, where he remained on life support until his death late on Wednesday evening.

The theatrical mainstay had been playing the Wizard in the record-breaking Australian pro

re: Australia's Wizard in hospital  Oct 1 2008, 06:52:39 AM
and aussietheatre.com

http://www.aussietheatre.com/news.htm#rob

so so sad

re: August: Osage County to have Australian season in 2009  Oct 1 2008, 06:49:48 AM
noplain, if it turns out performances half as good as those in the OBC - theny any sacrifice needn't be seen as too drastic. it is spoken-word theatre at its most poignant and electric
August: Osage County to have Australian season in 2009  Sep 30 2008, 09:28:00 PM
It was officially announced last night at the launch of the Melbourne Theatre Company's 2009 Season that August: Osage County would be one of their bigger undertakings for the season.

Very very excited that August is making it overseas, and especially finding a brilliant home at the MTC under the direction of the incomparable Simon Phillips and headed by Robyn Nevin (The Year of Magical Thinking at STC and MTC for 09) and Jane Menelaus.

Brilliant!

re: WICKED Australia starts previews today...  Jun 28 2008, 03:40:30 AM
Alterego, don't be too quick on the cast album front.

You just might be in for a surprise there

re: WICKED Australia starts previews today...  Jun 27 2008, 02:16:09 AM
Last night was the family and friends pre-preview performance and the show is in superb shape. It looks incredible and except for a few minor sound level issues in act 1, it is very very tight heading into previews.

Amanda Harrison's No Good Deed was by far the highlight of the evening, she is just astounding. And Lucy's Popular was much funnier then I anticipated.

Will be interesting to see how it all pans out on opening night in two weeks. Having seen Broadway, West End and the Tour of Wicked - this is an exceedingly good show and definitely in the most impressive of theatres: http://www.marrinertheatres.com.au/venue_regent.jsp

also, check out this backstage video taken towards the beginning of tech period (ignore that hideously annoying woman who thinks she is a tv host):
http://www.aussietheatre.com/wickedbackstage.htm

re: Priscilla-Queen of the Desert- Is it coming to the U.S.?  May 30 2008, 11:04:32 AM
Kylie's powers that be didn't approve copyright release of a medley that was written specifically for the show.

Although when Felicia stands on Ayers Rock towards the conclusion of act 2 and sings the aria-esque tune (or rather, lipsynchs) is it actually a reworked and very well orchestrated version of her Confide In Me.

I am guessing however that before it opens in London, Kylie might be a little more willing to have some more of her tracks in the show; considering there is a

re: Who has the perfect, pure voice?  May 4 2008, 09:28:33 PM
Simply brilliant video - her voice is truly divine!

Her bell-like ping pours out of her body with such powerful, yet gentle ease. PURITY!

But for me it is this video that takes the cake:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZdyBHfL7ac

Minus the angry face at the beginning.

re: Who has the perfect, pure voice?  May 4 2008, 10:00:38 AM
Lea Salonga gets my vote...

but my ultimate female is Tina Arena. Her voice is like a BELL - her recording of whistle down the wind is actually breathtaking in my opinion.

re: Caricatures of homosexuality in legally blonde...  May 4 2008, 09:58:27 AM
Mealz1042 i totally argree with your noticing the stereotypes etc etc - but as toodarnhot says the entire premise of the show is about stereotypes and predictable imagery of different types of people...

i was initially pretty outraged i have to say - but now i think it's nothing worth much discussion. the show is not about gays (as divine as we are)...it's about elle...end of story

re: What shows do you like but feel they are too long?  Mar 26 2008, 08:23:02 PM
The opening few scenes of Rock 'N' Roll. Because they are so acutely intellectual and bombarding from the very beginning, it is difficult as an audience member to find a break from the barrage of dates and names - unless you know them all of course. the rest of the play was exceptional!
re: Bebe Neuwirth as Aurora.  Mar 12 2008, 08:58:59 AM
I don't know the answer - but I personally think she would be divine.
re: Powerful or Very Hilarious Shakespearean Monologues  Nov 1 2007, 08:25:49 AM
Launce in Two gentleman of Verona...

Beginning:
"Nay, twill be this hour 'ere I have done weeping..."

and ending:
"But see how I lay the dust with my tears"

Brilliant for physical comedy.

What happens show-wise across the christmas/new year period?  Oct 15 2007, 03:30:11 AM
Hi all,

I'm heading back to NY briefly just after christmas until mid jan, and I am starting to plan the things I want to see.

My question is, what happens to the normal schow schedule over xmas/new years? Are there shows on new years eve/new years day etc - what is the holiday season like? Or does each show have its own timetable?

Also - should I be booking things in advance relying on the fact that holiday makers will make purchasing tix more difficult?

Th

re: Priscilla, Queen of the Desert: the stage musical  Jan 14 2007, 10:54:10 PM
Saw the show again last week and it is in fine form. It has been receiving standing ovations every night, with no hesitation. The curtain call lasted FOREVER! The costume design blows the audience away and is enough to make up for some weaker book moments. Although re-writes still happen most nights.

Elton John was in the audience several weeks ago and is apparently very keen to bring the show to broadway and the West End. Sooner then some would expect it seems...

Tony She

re: Is any of the spectacle lost in 'Wicked' if you're sitting in the heavens @ The Gershwin?  Aug 21 2006, 11:01:33 PM
I guess I'm just curious because I want to make sure that I can still see everyone's faces and not just the top of their heads...
Is any of the spectacle lost in 'Wicked' if you're sitting in the heavens @ The Gershwin?  Aug 21 2006, 10:56:52 PM
I have only ever seen Wicked sitting in orchestra seats.

I just wanted to know how the show travels if you're sitting in the rear mezzanine?

For example, is any of the drama of Defying Gravity lost because the height to which Elphaba rises is distorted and you're actually looking down at her even still?

I'm seeing the show again next month, but purchased the cheapest tix I could, so I'm sitting in the heavens...I just want to know if the show's spectacle still travels.

re: Same-sex kiss banned in Australian version of The Boy From Oz  Aug 9 2006, 02:48:51 AM
".....My understanding is that many Australians refuse to even talk about Peter Allen's homosexuality, despite it being a big part of his life. It's as if they're embarrassed about it. The omission of the kiss reflects this. ...."

Well - your understanding of our nation's opinions on Homosexuality are clearly misguided, misjudged and unfounded.

Yes - there are many homophobes here. That's a fact of life; there are many homophobic people everywhere you go. Unfortunately,

re: Musicals with 3+ Acts?  Jul 20 2006, 04:54:41 AM
Virgins - A Musical Threesome
Dean Bryant & Matthew Frank

Catch it in September at the NYMTF.
You'll LOVE IT!!

In both intervals the entire staging is changed, including seating et al...

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You