News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for S394206H

S394206H Profile Photo
Member Name: S394206H
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

...SPELLING BEE movie musical in the works with Disney
 Apr 22 2021, 07:03:49 PM
This one is an odd choice for sure. It’s not a big name musical outside of the theatre world, and the fact that Disney is producing it seems to suggest that they’re going to want to tone down some of the more adult themes and jokes. I have no idea how they’re going to get around the audience participation and improv aspects. Plus, casting is really going to make it break this- I agree that no ones going to want to watch it if they cast actual kids. I guess I’ll just have to see how the whole thi
Kerry Butler:
 Jun 25 2020, 06:05:26 PM

HogansHero said: "It is fantasy land to think that there is a huge audience for the archival recordings. Sure, folks here would be ecstatic, but it wold mostly go unnoticed. Want to excite kids about the theatre: give them something relatable. I have long felt (and expressed here many times) that showing films of stage shows often does more harm than good. I have loosened my feeling on that for the pandemic, but make no mistake not very many people are watching these things. It's

Cursed Child Cancelled Until Sept 6
 May 12 2020, 02:04:08 PM

Alex Kulak2 said: "Boy, I sure do love my career choice just not existing anymore. This must be how milkmen felt."

I feel you! I just graduated with a BFA in Scenic Design into an industry that’s completely shut down. Yay for moving back in with my parents!

Mean Girls Cast Replacements
 Feb 10 2020, 06:44:39 PM
I went to college with Laura Leigh and let me tell y’all it is wildly entertaining to see half the people who knew her congratulating her and the other half trying to drag her.
Set for Spongebob Live?
 Nov 30 2019, 07:06:37 PM

From the pictures I’ve seen, it doesn’t look like the Rube Goldberg machines are present, but I’m not sure how they handle those sequences on tour.

The Rube Goldberg machines are present on tour, but not to the level they are in the original production  They have two smaller ones that sit on top of pieces of truss on the apron, but at the show I saw they only used one of them  

Set for Spongebob Live?
 Nov 30 2019, 04:46:59 PM
Does anyone here know whether the original Broadway set for the Spongebob Musical is being used in the live special? I assumed it was, but new pictures that came out today seem to show the more scaled-back set they are using for the touring production.
Ryan Murphy To Develop Film Adaptation Of THE PROM For Netflix
 Jun 25 2019, 10:31:32 AM
I don’t get why some people are so upset about this casting (Twitter “stans” mostly.) Did people really think they would cast the OBC for this? I must admit I’ve only listened to The Prom once or twice, so i don’t have much of an opinion on the show as a whole, but come on. The show is not well-known outside of its fan base, and while it stars a bunch of well-known Broadway actors, none of those people are “names” outside of Broadway. I’m fine with this casting (save maybe for Corden, I’m a litt
"Original" Musicals
 Oct 22 2018, 11:16:04 PM

CedricOates said: "I do believe that much of this musical is based off of characters that are well known, i do consider “Something Rotten” to be an original musical. Shakespeare and all of his characters are used for the characters in the musical yes. But ultimately the characters in the show are completely the interpretation of the writers."

Exactly- I consider Something Rotten an original work as well. Unlike a show such as Hamilton, the "real"

"Original" Musicals
 Oct 22 2018, 10:41:15 PM

adamgreer said: "In a number of years, there was always one or two acclaimed original musicals that ended up not winning the Tony- next to normal, Spelling Bee, and Caroline or Change immediately come to my mind, and I’m sure there are others. "

Oh I agree- I just used Tony winners as an example, especially since people seem to fixate on the “Best Musical” title so much. 

"Original" Musicals
 Oct 22 2018, 09:46:37 PM

I seems to be a pretty common opinion nowadays to claim that everything on Broadway- at least in terms of musicals- is a cheap cash grab made solely for profit and that artistic integrity in musical theatre is dead. This isn't necessarily anything new, but with all the comments I've seen lately about how Broadway has "sold out," I decided to do some math.

Of the twenty-four musicals currently running on Broadway, eleven are based of

Spielberg's West Side Story
 Oct 1 2018, 08:28:08 PM

As much as I'd love an unknown to play Maria, I think it's unlikely to happen- this is a Spielberg movie, after all.

BWW TV Charlie Tour
 Sep 16 2018, 10:51:25 PM

Charley Kringas Inc said: "I really must be the only person on the planet who prefers the cube (and the factory!)to the cluttered West End version - it was smart, tidy, and beautiful."

I agree! I liked the simplicity of the sets- it made me focus more on the characters than spectacle, which I enjoyed. I think too many people went into this show expecting a spectacle, which influenced their interpretation of it.

Beetljuice will play the Winter Garden!
 Sep 6 2018, 04:01:47 PM

YvanEhtNioj said: "I'm really excited to see what they do with this set. I keep imagining the Adam's Family set or something similar."

David Korins has been posting some sneak peeks on Instagram- it looks really promising so far!

Bad or odd set designs
 Sep 2 2018, 07:26:29 PM

morosco said: "When people refer to use of projections in a show like Mean Girls or AnatasiaI get confused because I think they aren't really using projections as much as they are using LED display screens. Am I wrong?"

Whether it's done using LED screens or actual projectors, it's referred to in the industry as projection design. Larger theaters with more money typically use LED, while smaller theaters use projectors and screens. It's a rising field

Will filming Broadway shows ever be profitable?
 Sep 2 2018, 07:22:25 PM

TaleofTwo said: "Wick3 said: "I think it just depends on the Broadway show and whether there's a nationwide market for it. For instance, we all know the original Bway cast of HAmilton was filmed back in 2016. When they edit and release it in theaters nationwide, I can easily see it being profitable.

If they made a professional film of Dear Evan Hansen with Ben Platt still in it, I think that would have been profitable too once shown in cinemas nationwide.

Bad or odd set designs
 Sep 2 2018, 03:03:49 AM

I love the Falsettos set- it became more concrete and realistic as the characters grew and matured, and changed according to their actions and emotions. Falsettos isn't a super concrete show, and I don't think a concrete set would have done it justice. Plus, I don't think I could have been able to handle looking at a lot of complicated scenery while trying to follow all the lyrics in that show.

I'm not a huge fan of Mean Girls and Anastasia, as I feel they rely too heav

Zaks & ROTTEN! team to work on DOUBTFIRE musical
 Aug 28 2018, 06:49:57 PM
I’ll never understand why people complain so much about musical adaptations these days- most Broadway musicals are an adaptation of something, whether it’s a book, a play, or a true story/person. Now we see more movies adapted to the stage because that’s become our entertainment backlog. It’s one thing to be mad at jukebox musicals, which are often just retooled songs with a shoddy plot shoehorned in (not always, but often) but I’ll take a movie adaptation with original songs, a well-written boo
Potential Theatres for
 Aug 24 2018, 08:34:34 PM

theatregoer3 said: "The Broadway seems like the perfect house for this show. The red walls would blend in well. Also Baz Luhrmann’s La Bohemia played there and had the same sort of stage design that extended into the audience. Also had scenery in the side boxes, etc."

King Kong is going into the Broadway.

Is standing room uncomfortable?
 Aug 21 2018, 03:14:16 PM

Come From Away has a padded wall to lean on! That's a good one to do standing room for- it's only one act and runs for about 100 minutes, which isn't actually all that long to be on your feet.

GETTIN' THE BAND BACK TOGETHER Reviews
 Aug 14 2018, 03:04:02 PM
Seems Ken Davenport has now taken over the BWW Twitter account- what on Earth is going on with this tweet? I don’t think I’ve ever seen something like this tweeted for another show.
https://twitter.com/broadwayworld/status/1029392886385848321?s=21
(Apologies if the link is static, I’m posting from my phone)

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You