Broadway Cancelled Until Sept 6

jonah3500
#1Broadway Cancelled Until Sept 6
Posted: 5/12/20 at 11:38am

This was inevitable, but it’s good to have confirmation.

Updated On: 5/12/20 at 11:38 AM

jonah3500
#2Cursed Child Cancelled Until Sept 6
Posted: 5/12/20 at 11:39am

Delete

Updated On: 5/12/20 at 11:39 AM

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#3Cursed Child Cancelled Until Sept 6
Posted: 5/12/20 at 11:40am

Petrificus Totalus!

Broadway Buddy
#4Cursed Child Cancelled Until Sept 6
Posted: 5/12/20 at 11:42am

This makes me even more curious as to what shows will survive this shut down. One show that I don’t think has a chance at surviving is mean girls. They haven’t been doing nearly as well from when they first opened. I would feel terrible for the new cast. They got one or two performances in. Maybe they’ll offer them the tour.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#5Cursed Child Cancelled Until Sept 6
Posted: 5/12/20 at 11:42am

Sorry but The Music Man is officially doomed.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#6Cursed Child Cancelled Until Sept 6
Posted: 5/12/20 at 11:52am

This was expected. I do think any new show planned for next season will officially be off. Outside of The Music Man & 1776, was anything actually announced for the 2020-2021 season? Whenever Broadway reopens, we may only see a dozen or so shows able to come back.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

matt1982
#7Cursed Child Cancelled Until Sept 6
Posted: 5/12/20 at 12:01pm

ACL2006 said: "This was expected. I do think any new show planned for next season will officially be off. Outside of The Music Man & 1776, wasanything actually announced for the 2020-2021 season? Whenever Broadway reopens, we may only see a dozen or so shows able to come back."

Hoping that The Music Man postpones until Spring 2021 rather than just cancels.  It will be interesting to see what reopens.

Kimbo
#8Cursed Child Cancelled Until Sept 6
Posted: 5/12/20 at 12:02pm

blaxx said: "Sorry but The Music Man is officially doomed."

It's not doomed, it'll just be pushed back a year, till fall 2021.  (I've been saying for weeks that under its current plan there was no plausible way it could start on schedule, despite Jackman's vague interviews to the contrary, since even if Broadway were up and running by the fall, Sutton Foster will be committed to shooting the next season of "Younger" - which was supposed to begin filming in March - before she can begin rehearsals for a stage show... and in any case everyone seems to agree TV and film production will resume before stage does.)

Similarly, for what it's worth, I'm hearing that internal discussions on Broadway are confronting the likelihood that the business will be shut down till at least January, with next March or April more likely. I'm sure everyone will say "that'll never happen", or "whoa, that's getting way ahead of things" - but that's just what I'm hearing.  As has been reported elsewhere, they don't want to risk resuming this fall if there's even a sliver of a chance there'll be a second outbreak or another shutdown - not to mention that insurance wouldn't be available and additional money couldn't be raised under those circumstances.  And then, the thinking goes, with tourism at a low anyway during the winter, and flu season at a high, why would they resume performances in January, the toughest months of the year under the best of circumstances - so might as well wait an additional 2 or 3 months at that point. BY which point, with any luck, the virus might have mutated, herd immunity could be taking effect, and regardless there's a better chance that by then there'll either be a vaccine, or at least better drug treatments.

I agree it seems inconceivable for Broadway to be shut down for an entire year - but I fear that the Guthrie announcing last week that they aren't resuming till March 2021 will prove prophetic, and that New York will go that route as well.  (The question isn't what shows survive, since many will, thanks to insurance, intrepid and committed investors, etc. - the question is how long it takes Broadway as a whole to bounce back after that, in terms of general audiences, older theatergoers and tourists.  In the meantime, all we can do is stay safe and hope these internal projections prove to be worst-case scenarios that don't come true.  And do everything we can to elect more responsible officials this fall who take things like this seriously.)

Updated On: 5/12/20 at 12:02 PM

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#9Cursed Child Cancelled Until Sept 6
Posted: 5/12/20 at 12:06pm

Suspended four months out. I just can't imagine the slew of closes notices that'll be coming out by the end of this week. 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
#10Cursed Child Cancelled Until Sept 6
Posted: 5/12/20 at 12:09pm

Patti did say on WWHL that she can’t see any broadway until January, at the earliest. We trust in LuPone.

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#11Cursed Child Cancelled Until Sept 6
Posted: 5/12/20 at 12:13pm

Expected but still heartbreaking. While January or beyond seems likely, I will keep faith in a potential September re-opening.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#12Cursed Child Cancelled Until Sept 6
Posted: 5/12/20 at 12:16pm

I don’t know anyone in the industry who thinks an opening before the winter is realistic.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#13Cursed Child Cancelled Until Sept 6
Posted: 5/12/20 at 12:19pm

Does anyone have inside info on what they're planning for the Tony Awards? 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#14Cursed Child Cancelled Until Sept 6
Posted: 5/12/20 at 12:23pm

^for next year or this year? They’ve already cancelled this year’s ceremony.

The Music Man will probably be pushed back a year if Scott Rudin still wants to produce it.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement
Updated On: 5/12/20 at 12:23 PM

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#15Cursed Child Cancelled Until Sept 6
Posted: 5/12/20 at 12:25pm

Call_me_jorge said: "^for next year or this year? They’ve already cancelled this year’s ceremony."

Technically this year's ceremony was postponed, not cancelled.

HenryTDobson said: "Does anyone have inside info on what they're planning for the Tony Awards?"

At this rate, it's possible that we'll get no new show openings before May 2021, so they could just do next year's Tonys as this year's Tonys.

matt1982
#16Cursed Child Cancelled Until Sept 6
Posted: 5/12/20 at 12:26pm

everythingtaboo said: "Suspended four months out. I just can't imagine the slew of closes notices that'll be coming out by the end of this week."

Agreed.  Sad for sure.  I'd also imagine many previewing shows may officially "postpone" their dates to later in the fall or even next spring.

matt1982
#17Cursed Child Cancelled Until Sept 6
Posted: 5/12/20 at 12:30pm

Kimbo said: "blaxx said: "Sorry but The Music Man is officially doomed."

It's not doomed, it'll just be pushed back a year, till fall 2021. (I've been saying for weeks that under its current plan there was no plausible way it could start on schedule, despite Jackman's vague interviews to the contrary, since even if Broadway were up and running by the fall, Sutton Foster will be committed to shooting the next season of "Younger" - which was supposed to begin filming in March - before she can begin rehearsals for a stage show... and in any case everyone seems to agree TV and film production will resume before stage does.)

Would it really need to be a whole year?  Is it out of the realm of possibility that they could preview in March, open in April?

BroadwayBrat
#18Cursed Child Cancelled Until Sept 6
Posted: 5/12/20 at 12:34pm

I agree that it's likely shows won't open until spring 2021.

AADA81 Profile Photo
AADA81
#19Cursed Child Cancelled Until Sept 6
Posted: 5/12/20 at 12:43pm

Without a vaccine or effective, reliable treatment for the virus, there is no way that any public theatrical gathering will produce anything but a CORONA-19 flare-up and multiple deaths.  Any attempt to sidetrack that fact and short-track a return would be disastrous.  Science and the medical professions are going to dictate when public gatherings will be safe again and, right now, there are no definitives on when that will be.  Next year seems to me the earliest it could possibly happen.

AADA81 Profile Photo
AADA81
#20Cursed Child Cancelled Until Sept 6
Posted: 5/12/20 at 12:43pm

Without a vaccine or effective, reliable treatment for the virus, there is no way that any public theatrical gathering will produce anything but a CORONA-19 flare-up and multiple deaths.  Any attempt to sidetrack that fact and short-track a return would be disastrous.  Science and the medical professions are going to dictate when public gatherings will be safe again and, right now, there are no definitives on when that will be.  Next year seems to me the earliest it could possibly happen.

HBBrock
#21Cursed Child Cancelled Until Sept 6
Posted: 5/12/20 at 12:50pm

September is the next placeholder.

March 2021 is HOPEFUL.

Later than that is likely.

Broadway will be one of the last things, if not the last, to reopen.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#22Cursed Child Cancelled Until Sept 6
Posted: 5/12/20 at 1:00pm

My sister works for a government job and they take your temperature every day when going into work. Could this be a possible solution? 

FabalaYero85
#23Cursed Child Cancelled Until Sept 6
Posted: 5/12/20 at 1:07pm

They aren’t going to take the temperature of every person in attendance of every show on Broadway/ Off Broadway.

Nothing is going to open unless it is safe to. And even then, there will be precautions and lots of new rules.

Sadly I don’t see Broadway opening until next summer the latest. I also don’t see schools opening in the fall either, but that’s a whole other ballgame.

hmm...

Kimbo
#24Cursed Child Cancelled Until Sept 6
Posted: 5/12/20 at 1:09pm

RippedMan said: "My sister works for a government job and they take your temperature every day when going into work. Could this be a possible solution?"

There are better medical minds on here than mine but the short answer is, absolutely not.. (As witnessed by the increasing number of infections in the White House, where many people are not only having their temperature taken every day, but in some cases, having COVID-19 tests every day... at least one of the people who tested positive there this week had tested negative only the day before, as has happened with Nick Cordero and elsewhere.  And many people have the virus with no fever.)

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
#25Cursed Child Cancelled Until Sept 6
Posted: 5/12/20 at 1:13pm

RippedMan said: "My sister works for a government job and they take your temperature every day when going into work. Could this be a possible solution?"

All it takes is one audience member popping a Tylenol before getting to the theatre and boom,

fever gone...