News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for BPfan81

Member Name: BPfan81
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Company London  Oct 1 2018, 10:31:18 PM

Great shot, indeed. How long is LuPone in this English production of Company?

BCEFA Flea Market  Sep 20 2018, 10:11:25 PM

I was planning to get there around 1 or 2, I hope it's not too late. Is Bernadette Peters scheduled to be there? Anyone believe if Hello, Dolly Bernadette Peters merchandise will be available? I only went one time and that was in 2004, I can't remember what is offered in general.

The Conductor  Sep 20 2018, 10:06:58 PM

reginula said: "BPfan81, I'm sorry, but I saw it about two weeks ago (and that's it, since I don't live in the US), but I'm 90% certain Paul Staroba was the conductor I saw on Sept. 8. You thinking it was him is sort of confirming it to me! I saw him from Row N, so maybe you were clsoer? Hahaha. Did you see the show that week as well?

Edit: Also, I just looked him up and he was Associate Conductor on War Paint.
"

I saw him Aug 29th!! I think

The Conductor  Sep 20 2018, 09:39:36 PM

Loved the video, thank you!

Just saying, if this post ever gets Ted Sperling's attention, I just want him to know I was left very impressed by his performance conducting My Fair Lady! It was a pleasure watching him :)

Parenthesis here -

Ted Sperling, I am sure you are just as amazing, but if I saw Paul Staroba that day, I have to say, Paul you were wonderful!! Thank you for your performance!! And Paul, if you are a straight male, will you marry me

The Conductor  Sep 20 2018, 09:35:56 PM

I don't believe this BUT I have a feeling you are right!! I had  a right side profile of him, much like this photo, and my recollection now seems to indicate it might have been Paul Staroba!!!

Reginula, you are my only hope to confirm this, being that you are going to see MFL as you say you will!! Let me know! By the way, I got all caught up in this so I went about looking for my Playbill under my magazine pile and this is what is written inside:

Conductor: Ted Sp

The Conductor  Sep 20 2018, 12:22:40 AM

How funny! Like I said, I was in the very last row, stage right, I had a clear view of him and from up there he really 'looked young,' however, I was at a distance. I have to look for my Playbill now and double check because I was so fixated on Ted Sperling after all these posts!!

The Conductor  Sep 19 2018, 10:34:24 PM

Loved the video, thank you!

Just saying, if this post ever gets Ted Sperling's attention, I just want him to know I was left very impressed by his performance conducting My Fair Lady! It was a pleasure watching him :)

The Conductor  Sep 17 2018, 11:38:50 PM

DooWahDiddy said: "Oh yeah, Ted Sperling is fun. Got to work with him a while back. By the way, you probably already know this, but very few shows these days have the luxury (or really, the necessity, due to the prevalence of more pop/rock on Broadway) of having a stick conductor. Nowadays the conductor is usually also playing keyboard, and conducting with a combination of his hands and head.

I'm certainly no Joseph Church or Ted Sperling, but it is what I do for a liv

The Conductor  Sep 17 2018, 11:32:24 PM

Wick3 said: "This is an interesting thread. I've seen MFL twice (rear loge and extreme side orch) but didn't notice the conductor. From checking LCT's website the MFL conductor is Ted Sperling. I'll be watching MFL again next month when Benanti is Eliza so will watch out for the conductor."

Yes, report back and let us know!! I am tempted to see MFL again just for him!! Oh, and thanks for letting me know his name!

The Conductor  Sep 17 2018, 09:52:38 PM

reginula said:  "I even saw him mouthing the lyrics.

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content
I'm so glad he even gets to go on the stage for the waltz scene.

"

Yes, I saw him do this too! I figured they all do this, no? Interesting! He looked young too. Okay now I have to find out his name and

The Conductor  Sep 17 2018, 09:02:34 PM

DooWahDiddy said: "I admit I haven't read it yet, but a well-respected music director in NY recently published a book called "Music Direction for the Stage: A View from the Podium". You may want to check that out, since it would specifically be geared toward conducting in the Broadway industry.

https://www.amazon.com/Music-Direction-Stage-View-Podium/dp/0199993416
"

Another good book, Maestros and Their Music: The Art and Alchemy of Conducting by John Mauceri.

Maestros and Their Music

Thinking again about Paul Gemignani I recall reading that he always memorizes a show's entire score and usually conducts without a score in front of him on the podium.  He is said to even memorize all of the bar numbers of a score.

Thanks to all who responded - they were all great suggestions! Both books look like what I'm looking for! I'll go to my local B&N hoping to see if they are in stock and have a look before I make my purchase. They will be great additions to my home library :)

The Conductor  Sep 17 2018, 12:04:37 AM

I just saw My Fair Lady at Lincoln Center recently with a friend, and when I go with friends we usually sit in Mezz seats since they prefer not to spend on Orchestra seating. Anyway, sitting way up there on stage right in the last row on the very last seat, I had a very clear view of the conductor, and all I could do is just watch him conduct. It was so interesting to me and I was left amazed by his performance (I usually get Orchestra seats when I go alone so I can't say I've ev

Goodbye, Dolly  Sep 2 2018, 02:48:34 PM

Jarethan said: " His point: people were more inclined to assume it was more dated than other great hits from the past, which we both agree is not the case."

Indeed, I think this is exactly the point. I think musicals such as Hello, Dolly, Gypsy, Wonderful Town, to name a few, sadly are referred to as 'old' and 'out-dated.' Needless to say, one can argue that they are the foundation of the American musical, and those 'new' musicals out&nbs

What could be next for Bernadette Peters?  Aug 10 2018, 11:36:43 AM

JBC3 said: "Perhaps she could do a focus group with her most devoted BWW fans and they can inform her about what choices she should next make."

I don't get your remark. Aren't we just having a little fun here with meaningless conversation about meaningless things really - a break from the every day hardships?

Why ruin it with your sarcasm? No need to contribute if you can't see the point.

What could be next for Bernadette Peters?  Aug 10 2018, 11:32:46 AM

David10086 said: "In another thread I brought up the play "Legends" which had a first disastrous run in the mid-80s (Channing and Martin), and a disastrous tour which never made it to Broadway in 2006-07 with Joan Collins and Linda Evans. Maybe a revival of this with Bernadette Peters (...and Bette Midler? Christine Ebersole? Lily Tomlin?) could work and make it a hit, for once."

Interesting. I don't know much about this play (or plays, in general, as I

What could be next for Bernadette Peters?  Aug 10 2018, 11:20:19 AM

BwayJudd said: "She has a show at MPAC in NJin May 2019 :)

on WWHL, she said she planned to write a book eventually. I hope that holdstrue!
"

Nice, something to look forward to! Luckily, I have a friend who likes her just as much and can join me that evening.

As far as her set list, I can understand how it can get 'old' having an artist sing the same songs over and over, however, if we look at pop music, great acts such as Chicago and Fleetwo

What could be next for Bernadette Peters?  Aug 4 2018, 12:12:03 AM

BWAY Baby2 said: "But, that is a realistic option for her- or an extended date at Feinsteins or some cabaret club in the city- or cabaret tour. I hope she continues performing- she seems to love it."

Yes!

What could be next for Bernadette Peters?  Aug 4 2018, 12:09:45 AM

Her as Mrs. Lovett I would love to see! I'll look for her concerts then. I'm in the NY/NJ area so I hope something comes up.

I wonder if she was ever approached to write a memoir like Patti LuPone did not too long ago. I'm sure she has great stories to share, especially about her personally life; how she grew up, dealing with the loss of her husband, Steve Martin, or if she ever wanted children or regrets not having one etc. I'm sure it would be a nice read. <

What could be next for Bernadette Peters?  Aug 3 2018, 12:36:56 AM

As a huge fan for about fifteen years now, I'm always excited about anticipating her next project. Now that Mozart's cancelled and a Broadway run done, what do you think is next for her? I believe her last Broadway run was 7 years ago and I know she just turned 70, so I don't think she'll be coming back any time soon. Maybe tv series or her concerts? I would love for her to have recorded a pop album of past hits from Whitney Houston and Celine Dion, for example, but the way cd

How do you feel about theatre-goers who rush the same show constantly?  Jul 14 2018, 11:55:12 PM

I think it borderlines something close to an unhealthy obsession of some sort. However, I would also take into account the person's age in order to really call it 'unhealthy.' If this person is relatively a teen to an early twenty-something, then I would say it's an 'age thing,' meaning, a young person who has no responsibilities or obligations and just 'does' these things as a result. Anything older, obviously, would  indicate the unhealthy obsession char

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You