pixeltracker

What could be next for Bernadette Peters?

What could be next for Bernadette Peters?

BPfan81
#1What could be next for Bernadette Peters?
Posted: 8/3/18 at 12:36am

As a huge fan for about fifteen years now, I'm always excited about anticipating her next project. Now that Mozart's cancelled and a Broadway run done, what do you think is next for her? I believe her last Broadway run was 7 years ago and I know she just turned 70, so I don't think she'll be coming back any time soon. Maybe tv series or her concerts? I would love for her to have recorded a pop album of past hits from Whitney Houston and Celine Dion, for example, but the way cds are selling that's never going to happen, sadly. Thoughts? 

msmp Profile Photo
msmp
#2What could be next for Bernadette Peters?
Posted: 8/3/18 at 12:53am

I could see her doing another limited/streaming series now that Amazon canceled Mozart in the Jungle.

Edit: also it probably will never happen because it doesn't really fit her persona, but I would love to see her do a guest spot on something like AHS the way Patti Lupone and Christine Ebersole both have.

Updated On: 8/3/18 at 12:53 AM

JBC3
#3What could be next for Bernadette Peters?
Posted: 8/3/18 at 4:26am

Finally selling her condo in Florida? Updated On: 8/3/18 at 04:26 AM

BWAY Baby2
#4What could be next for Bernadette Peters?
Posted: 8/3/18 at 5:02am

I love Bernadette too. I would think she would tour again. Smaller venues probably. She is just wonderful in concert. Really one of the most memorable concerts I have ever been to- and I have seen all the greats- from Barbra to Liza to Bette and Cher....but Bernadette has such style and wit and humor and class- and her voice and choice of material is just perfect for me. Love her- and unlike CD making, touring is very lucrative- though hard on the performer- especially at a 70 and up. But, that is a realistic option for her- or an extended date at Feinsteins or some cabaret club in the city- or cabaret tour. I hope she continues performing- she seems to love it.

geoffreyC
#5What could be next for Bernadette Peters?
Posted: 8/3/18 at 5:25am

Something animal-related as she loves those critters for some reason.

Dollypop
#6What could be next for Bernadette Peters?
Posted: 8/3/18 at 6:31am

She's been out here on Long Island, popping up at art galleries in the Hamptons and farmstands in Calverton and Riverhead.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Cat Guy Profile Photo
Cat Guy
#7What could be next for Bernadette Peters?
Posted: 8/3/18 at 10:11am

In January, I'm taking the train up to Los Angeles to see her perform at the Walt Disney Concert Hall.  Very excited.  I'm confident she will stay busy beyond Dolly.

BwayJudd
#8What could be next for Bernadette Peters?
Posted: 8/3/18 at 10:12am

She is definitely doing more concerts, she already has 5-6 dates set that I have seen. And not really at smaller venues either. Segerstrom, Walt Disney Concert Hall, other symphonies. I have tickets to see her in 2019. I expect as various houses release their seasons, and subscription series, more will pop up.

I would love to see her back on Broadway, and think (hope) she will if/when the right thing comes up. I’d really like to see her do a straight play.

I’m hoping she will be in more episodes of The Good Fight too, like she was in the first season.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#9What could be next for Bernadette Peters?
Posted: 8/3/18 at 10:18am

A bunch of concerts from late last year/early 2019 were cancelled because of Hello, Dolly!. I'm wondering if she'll pick those dates back up. She was supposed to perform in my city, I had tickets and pearls to clutch on and everything.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#10What could be next for Bernadette Peters?
Posted: 8/3/18 at 11:16am

Bernadette has a recurring role in the CBS All Access series “The Good Fight”.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#11What could be next for Bernadette Peters?
Posted: 8/3/18 at 1:51pm

Leading a production of DEAR WORLD, SWEENEY TODD, MAME, or THE VISIT. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

BwayJudd
#12What could be next for Bernadette Peters?
Posted: 8/3/18 at 2:12pm

qolbinau said: "Leading a production of DEAR WORLD, SWEENEY TODD, MAME, or THE VISIT."

I’m good with any of these too!  As long as we get her back on the stage! 

msmp Profile Photo
msmp
#13What could be next for Bernadette Peters?
Posted: 8/3/18 at 2:58pm

qolbinau said: "Leading a production of DEAR WORLD, SWEENEY TODD, MAME, or THE VISIT."

Sweeney Todd, yes please. I'd love seeing her tackle Mrs Lovett.

Elegance101 Profile Photo
Elegance101
#14What could be next for Bernadette Peters?
Posted: 8/3/18 at 4:03pm

geoffreyC said: "Something animal-related as she loves those critters for some reason."

For some reason??? Have you ever SEEN a dog???

BPfan81
#15What could be next for Bernadette Peters?
Posted: 8/4/18 at 12:09am

Her as Mrs. Lovett I would love to see! I'll look for her concerts then. I'm in the NY/NJ area so I hope something comes up.

I wonder if she was ever approached to write a memoir like Patti LuPone did not too long ago. I'm sure she has great stories to share, especially about her personally life; how she grew up, dealing with the loss of her husband, Steve Martin, or if she ever wanted children or regrets not having one etc. I'm sure it would be a nice read. 

BPfan81
#16What could be next for Bernadette Peters?
Posted: 8/4/18 at 12:12am

BWAY Baby2 said: "But, that is a realistic option for her- or an extended date at Feinsteins or some cabaret club in the city- or cabaret tour. I hope she continues performing- she seems to love it."

Yes!

brettarnett Profile Photo
brettarnett
#17What could be next for Bernadette Peters?
Posted: 8/4/18 at 12:44am

I love her but she is so private about her personal life. I too wish she would publish a tell all about her life and career. But it seems very unlikely, hell I'd even take a podcast with Broadway's living legends at this point.

JBC3
#18What could be next for Bernadette Peters?
Posted: 8/4/18 at 7:21am

I adore Bernadette but have no desire to see her as Lovett. At this point, I sadly do not think her voice would hold up very well in the role. I would love to see here in a great play that shows off her acting chops. Updated On: 8/4/18 at 07:21 AM

BwayJudd
#19What could be next for Bernadette Peters?
Posted: 8/4/18 at 1:38pm

BPfan81 said: "Her as Mrs. Lovett I would love to see! I'll look for her concerts then. I'm in the NY/NJ area so I hope something comes up.

I wonder if she was ever approached to write a memoir like Patti LuPone did not too long ago. I'm sure she has great stories to share, especially about her personally life;how she grew up, dealing with the loss of her husband, Steve Martin, or if she ever wanted children or regrets not having one etc. I'm sure it would be a nice read.
"

She has a show at MPAC in NJ in May 2019 :) 

on WWHL, she said she planned to write a book eventually.  I hope that holds true! 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#20What could be next for Bernadette Peters?
Posted: 8/5/18 at 4:21am

If this is what she wants, then so be it - but I personally wish she'd move onto different things than just performing the same old concerts with the same old songs. I kind of get the impression that Bernadette is coasting a little now in her career - and perhaps at her age she is happy with that. She can sleep walk through her concerts, give her something enjoyable to do, some retirement money (but surely this isn't important to her anymore). Then when the phone rings with an offer that suits her (e.g., Night Music, Follies or Dolly) she might occasionally branch out to something different.

But where is the ambition and the drive? Why isn't she actively learning new music? Finding projects she is particularly passionate about, directors she would like to work with, writers she is interested in - and trying to see something through? 

Of course, maybe she is and we just don't know. But still. It's a little disappointing because she isn't done yet. I feel like there is still potential for something big, but time is ticking. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

JBC3
#21What could be next for Bernadette Peters?
Posted: 8/5/18 at 8:52am

Who are we to judge the ambition and the drive of people late in their careers ... or at any point for that matter? A universal standard for such things does not exist. As you opened ... "if this is what she wants, then so be it."

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#22What could be next for Bernadette Peters?
Posted: 8/5/18 at 12:20pm

JBC3 said: "Who are we to judge the ambition and the drive of people late in their careers ... or at any point for that matter? A universal standard for such things does not exist. As you opened ... "if this is what she wants, then so be it.""

We are her loving fans .  That’s who we are..  And I personally don’t get a kick out of seeing the same concert with the same patter.  She is better than that..  love her and  I won’t miss a stop near me.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

BwayJudd
#23What could be next for Bernadette Peters?
Posted: 8/5/18 at 12:20pm

She has also been one to always say that if she goes out seeking something, it never works out for her, so she has learned to trust the universe and let projects come to her. Seems to have worked for her so far.

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#24What could be next for Bernadette Peters?
Posted: 8/5/18 at 12:46pm

In another thread I brought up the play "Legends" which had a first disastrous run in the mid-80s (Channing and Martin), and a disastrous tour which never made it to Broadway in 2006-07 with Joan Collins and Linda Evans. Maybe a revival of this with Bernadette Peters (...and Bette Midler? Christine Ebersole? Lily Tomlin?) could work and make it a hit, for once. 

JBC3
#25What could be next for Bernadette Peters?
Posted: 8/5/18 at 1:47pm

DAME said: "JBC3 said: "Who are we to judge the ambition and the drive of people late in their careers ... or at any point for that matter? A universal standard for such things does not exist. As you opened ... "if this is what she wants, then so be it.""

We are her loving fans . That’s who we are.. And I personally don’t get a kick out of seeing the same concert with the same patter. She is better than that.. loveher and I won’t miss a stop near me.
"

I also am a loving fan, but do not feel entitled to say "she is better than that" about her career and/or concert song selections. If we do not like what she offers we can choose not to attend.