News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for akhoya87

Member Name: akhoya87
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
 Apr 21 2024, 10:37:31 PM

Part of me wonders whether there is some subconscious backlash (or at least bar-raising) because of the high prices charged by this production, and the efforts to make it "immersive."  Part of me also wonders whether the production rises and falls primarily on the casting.  I loved the London production, but it worked "best" for me when I saw it with Fra Fee and Amy Lennox.  Every version I've seen since then has been lackluster by comparison.  

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
 Apr 21 2024, 10:15:13 PM

Maybe Cabaret should take out an ad with competing pull quotes with the headline, "True art sparks debate."

Actress Predictions - 2024 Tonys
 Apr 19 2024, 03:53:22 PM

The lead and featured races just got a lot more interesting.

LEMPICKA Reviews
 Apr 15 2024, 11:56:32 PM

gibsons2 said: "Damn... Ok. I don't remember people being so cruel and vicious towards a single show on this board. Every season a show picked as a favorite punching bag, last year it was How To Dance In Ohio I think."

I know it feels like this season has lasted 84 years, but HTDIO was this season...

Debating between Gatsby and Outsiders
 Apr 12 2024, 03:11:02 PM

If you want a showy spectacle with a large cast, go see Gatsby.  If you'd prefer a more introspective musical with excellent direction and fight choreography, go see Outsiders.  Neither is perfect, but I'd consider Outsiders the more perfect of the two.

LEMPICKA Previews
 Apr 7 2024, 12:15:33 AM

Jordan Catalano said: "B212323 said: "TaffyDavenport said: "At a $19.5 million capitalization, this show wasnevergoing to recoup, so now it's just a matter of seeing exactly how much it loses."

19.5????? Cabaret is 24 and they literally rebuilt the theater interior and have a movie star attached for 6 months. Who signed off on that figure?!
"

I was told a number that’s SIGNIFICANTLY higher than 24 for “Cabaret”. Now I’m curious.
"

The Form D for the Broadway production of Cabaret has max capitalization at $26 mil.  https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1995752/000199575223000003/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club Previews
 Apr 2 2024, 02:04:20 PM

Jordan Catalano said: "Unfortunately, I had an even more negative reaction to Ato Blankson-Wood's Cliff. I just feel he's so miscast and some of the things he does (which i've never seen anyone else in London do, so I'm guessing it's his choice?) are cringeworthy and laughable. Having these two huge roles so, I'm sorry but, miscast, just brings the whole thing down for me. Because this is the internet I gotta reiterate - I said FOR ME.

BCEFA Spring 2024 Collections
 Apr 1 2024, 02:14:56 PM

Water for Elephants had signed playbills for $60, and signed posters for $100.

Nothing from Tommy (not even red buckets collecting $$), even though the show's opened.

SUFFS Previews
 Mar 31 2024, 06:33:27 PM

I just came out of the preview feat. Hawley Gould as Alice Paul.  For the most part, I think the show works.  It's a little too long, and I wish the creatives would just embrace the fact that the show works best as an ensemble piece, and not try to have it also serve as a story conveying Alice Paul's personal narrative.  The message of an intergenerational fight is incredibly poignant -- why water it down?  Totally fine to have us look in from Paul's perspectiv

LEMPICKA Previews
 Mar 31 2024, 12:02:53 PM

I saw Lempicka last night.  I went into the show knowing nothing about it, and I feel as if I still know nothing, even though I sat through the two-and-a-half-hour production.  Yes, it's a show about Tamara de Lempicka, whose works I've seen, but about whom I knew very little.  But is it a musical about her artistry?  Her sexuality?  Anti-Semitism?  The show is so ambitious, it achieves nothing in its ambition, book-wise.

The entire company is

Next musical revivals in the coming years
 Mar 27 2024, 11:45:58 PM

Theatrefanboy1 said: "id personally love to see a revival of Sound of Music or South Pacific

"

Cast Laura Benanti as the Mother Abbess, so she'll have played all four of the top female roles.  (Yes, I count this as her Liesl.)

TAKE THE LEAD musical in development
 Mar 25 2024, 12:28:35 PM

I was just saying to a friend that the theatre is ready for a good ballroom-dance-inspired musical.  Take the Lead is a great choice -- looking forward to this.  I wonder if they'll bring in folks with experience in choreographing ballroom dancing -- or even cast ballroom dancers.  

This is an incredibly niche pet peeve, but I've seen several shows where the characters are supposed to be dancing some ballroom dance (usually a waltz, tango,

Actress Predictions - 2024 Tonys
 Mar 24 2024, 06:58:26 PM

It'll be really interesting to see how the Tony eligibility committee rules on performers from The Notebook.  Following the Tony Shalhoub/Band's Visit precedent, I think there's a case to be made that Maryann is really the lead, despite the fact that she sings for all of what, 60 seconds?  (The singing comment is not meant to be glib -- I thoroughly enjoyed Maryann's performance, both in Chicago and on Broadway, even though I have mixed feelings about t

LEMPICKA announcement teased for next week
 Mar 15 2024, 07:32:44 PM

It seems they've taken down the reels - the links no longer work.  I wonder whether it was a premature release, or if the reels didn't have the reception the production had intended/desired.

What’s Next for the St. James?
 Mar 15 2024, 06:03:41 PM

wcoyote said: "GreasedLightning said: "QueenAlice said: "Why are there suddenly about ten things rumored to be coming to the St James? Mattress, Rachel Chavkin’s Garsby, Sunset Boulevard, Stranger Things, Illinois’s…"

Because about 97% of what is posted here is pure delusionwink
"

You'll need to revise your percentage now...
"

It's entirely possible that at least three of those things will arrive in sequence...

THE NOTEBOOK Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
 Mar 15 2024, 02:47:37 PM

Wick3 said: "I think older kids would appreciate watching The Notebook but I can see how younger kids may get bored or fall asleep."

When I last saw the Notebook, I was fortunate enough to be sitting front row.  And misfortunate enough to be sitting next to a group of Gen Z/Gen Alpha folks who were there with their family.  I think only one of them paid attention to the show; the rest looked bored, and occasionally pulled out their phones to not-so-discreet

THE NOTEBOOK Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
 Mar 15 2024, 01:01:13 PM

MemorableUserName said: "chrishuyen said: "It's been a while since critics' reviews have been able to tank a show as immediately, especially when online response is more positive (otherwise Back to the Future would've already been closed). So while the reviews aren't great, I could still see this running through the summer (especially since it has a built in fanbase for the movie/book and Ingrid Michaelson)."

Yep, I was going to mentionBack to the Future. Another show that did well out of New York and the Broadway critics disliked when it arrived here (its BWW average score of 56 is almost identical to The Notebook's 55), but is still going 8 months later. Both have Show-Score ratings of 90. Neither may be great as works of art, but both have name recognition, and BTTF has spectacle and Notebook has emotion, which may be enough for plenty of audience members to keep them running.
"

I think the main material difference, especially to Kad's point about softness in the box-office numbers, is that you can take the kids to spectacle.  Even though I personally loathed BTTF, I would recommend it to someone who's just looking to distract their young kids for a few hours.  I can't say the same about the Notebook; setting aside the cursing, the material is PG-13, at a minimum.

THE NOTEBOOK Broadway Previews
 Mar 14 2024, 10:58:58 AM

Setting aside casting decisions beyond her control, it seems like there's near-universal acclaim for Maryann Plunkett's performance.  I know she'll likely be up for Best Featured, and that it's highly unusual (if not unheard of) to nominate someone for Best Lead Actress when they give us all of one song.  But I do feel like of anyone in the cast, Maryann and Dorian Harewood are the closest thing we have to leads, just given their stage time and presence.  Of cou

Private Jones at Signature Theatre (Arlington, VA)
 Mar 10 2024, 06:18:05 PM

I'm going to offer what's probably an unpopular, incredibly niche bit of criticism.  At the outset, I liked the concept very much.  The story delivers on deaf representation quite well, on many different levels.  Some of the tunes were great earworms.  (The Bastards song is still stuck in my head.)  Erin Weaver's King is hilarious (I loved her in Into the Woods @ Signature VA).  Johnny Link delivers a very earnest portrayal of the title chara

Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster will next star in ‘Sweeney Todd'
 Feb 25 2024, 11:16:15 PM

quizking101 said: "
Sutton, I think, was the worse of the two. She couldn’t seem to stick to any accent for longer than a scene, switching between Cockney, Londoner, and I definitely heard an American slip at some point. 
"

My ears may have deceived me, but I thought I heard her slip in some American (mostly in the form of an American military accent) when she delivered the general/privates line in Worst Pies.  That seemed like a strange cho

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You