pixeltracker

What’s Next for the St. James?

What’s Next for the St. James?

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#1What’s Next for the St. James?
Posted: 3/5/24 at 7:52pm

Yeah, yeah. I’m usually the guy who wants the body to go cold before this thread goes up, and we all know this season is too crowded already, but…

…While I know SUNSET BOULEVARD has its eyes on that theatre for fall, could this be a prime opportunity for JELLY’S LAST JAM to come in from City Center and strike while the iron is hot?  

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm
Updated On: 3/5/24 at 07:52 PM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#2What’s Next for the St. James?
Posted: 3/5/24 at 7:54pm

Nope. Norma’s ready for her close-up. 

Oh look, a bibu!

quizking101
#3What’s Next for the St. James?
Posted: 3/5/24 at 8:06pm

I feel like JLJ could just do a limited summer run (13 weeks) and be out by September

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Sammy232
#4What’s Next for the St. James?
Posted: 3/5/24 at 8:12pm

quizking101 said: "I feel like JLJ could just do a limited summer run (13 weeks) and be out by September"

I absolutely loved JLJ but financially how could that work with a 13 week run and such a large cast?

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#5What’s Next for the St. James?
Posted: 3/5/24 at 8:13pm

quizking101 said: "I feel like JLJ could just do a limited summer run (13 weeks) and be out by September"

Are you people out of your minds?!

I don't see even the slightest chance of breaking even, let alone recouping, for JELLY's, especially in just 13 weeks. I donl't know who would spend millions on the risk moving that show (good as it was) unless they had millions to flush away. It would be FINIAN'S RAINBOW all over again.

quizking101
#6What’s Next for the St. James?
Posted: 3/5/24 at 8:32pm

Sammy232 said: "quizking101 said: "I feel like JLJ could just do a limited summer run (13 weeks) and be out by September"

I absolutely loved JLJ but financially how could that work with a 13 week run and such a large cast?

"

Maybe 16 weeks then? Also, to the point of the cast, they had 35, while the last production to transfer to Broadway was PARADE, which had a cast of 34. 

They could always scale down the ensemble, change some casting (for example, Tiffany Mann wouldn’t be available), and keep the same bandstand set.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#7What’s Next for the St. James?
Posted: 3/5/24 at 9:06pm

If Jamie Lloyd was smart, he’d bring Sunset in this summer during the peak of tourism season. With the right advertising, this could be a hot ticket for Summer and boost advance sales through the fall. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Play Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#8What’s Next for the St. James?
Posted: 3/5/24 at 9:09pm

I’m sure Jamie has very little to do with this call. 

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#9What’s Next for the St. James?
Posted: 3/5/24 at 9:11pm

quizking101 said: "Yeah, yeah. I’m usually the guy who wants the body to go cold before this thread goes up, and we all know this season is too crowded already,but…

…While I know SUNSET BOULEVARD has its eyes on that theatre for fall, could this be a prime opportunity for JELLY’S LAST JAM to come in from City Center and strike while the iron is hot?
"

Jelly is not transferring but look for a possible surprise limited transfer of something else from Encores mid summer. 

Updated On: 3/5/24 at 09:11 PM

JSquared2
#10What’s Next for the St. James?
Posted: 3/5/24 at 9:20pm

JELLY'S isn't "hot" and it isn't going anywhere -- where do some of you people get these delusions?

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#11What’s Next for the St. James?
Posted: 3/5/24 at 9:21pm

Play Esq. said: "I’m sure Jamie has very little to do with this call."

He's the first-billed lead producer of it (alongside Spam's landlord's owner, ATG).

That said, the schedules are likely set already and not going to move simply because Spamalot has decided to close.

Play Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#12What’s Next for the St. James?
Posted: 3/5/24 at 9:23pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Play Esq. said: "I’m sure Jamie has very little to do with this call."

He's the first-billed lead producer of it (alongside Spam's landlord's owner, ATG).

That said, the schedules are likely set already and not going to move simply because Spamalot has decided to close.
"

I’m glad we agree. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#13What’s Next for the St. James?
Posted: 3/5/24 at 9:23pm

Matt Rogers said: "Jelly is not transferring but look for a possible surprise limited transfer of something else from Encores mid summer."

I have heard Piazza rumblings, which I've chosen not to believe because that would be almost as financially-disastrous as moving Jelly.

quizking101
#14What’s Next for the St. James?
Posted: 3/5/24 at 9:31pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Matt Rogers said: "Jelly is not transferring but look for a possible surprise limited transfer of something else from Encores mid summer."

I have heardPiazza rumblings, which I've chosen not to believe because that would bealmostas financially-disastrous as moving Jelly.
"

Seems more like a hint at Once Upon a Mattress since Sutton will be free as of May 5th and Michael Urie won’t have Spamalot to return to anymore…

amiyagi
#15What’s Next for the St. James?
Posted: 3/5/24 at 9:40pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Matt Rogers said: "Jelly is not transferring but look for a possible surprise limited transfer of something else from Encores mid summer."

I have heard Piazza rumblings, which I've chosen not to believe because that would be almost as financially-disastrous as moving Jelly.
"

Having seen Mattress, it was fine, but I found it considerably inferior to Into the Woods or Parade.

I know it's the least likely option but please be Titanic. I can't make it to New York while it's playing and I would love to hear it live with that cast and orchestra. 

Updated On: 3/5/24 at 09:40 PM

quizking101
#16What’s Next for the St. James?
Posted: 3/5/24 at 9:49pm

Titanic doesn’t even run at NYCC until June, so there would be ZERO chance that it has its run and then transfers for a run of any length of time.

Once again, sounds like MATTRESS is the hint, but I really would LOVE if it were JELLY

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#17What’s Next for the St. James?
Posted: 3/5/24 at 11:15pm

Encores productions only transfer if they're bursting at the seams of City Center. Great reviews and audience reactions aren't enough, they need to be selling out. Jelly's was on TDF and there were empty seats when I saw it. 

While the St. James' size might offer a quicker path to recoupment, I think it's likely that there will be better fits for Encores shows available for a summer run, namely the Lunt and Imperial. 

KevinKlawitter
#18What’s Next for the St. James?
Posted: 3/5/24 at 11:35pm

Somebody is obligated to ask about Dear England at some point, so what about ​ Dear England?

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#19What’s Next for the St. James?
Posted: 3/5/24 at 11:39pm

Dear world is the only thing from city center I feel the need to see again.  I mean sure Piazza, Matress, Jelly’s last Jam, but they pale in comparison. I even liked PAL Joey more than some of those. 

WindyNewYorker
#20What’s Next for the St. James?
Posted: 3/6/24 at 10:11am

Finger crossed for Light in the Piazza or Dear World! 

JSquared2
#21What’s Next for the St. James?
Posted: 3/6/24 at 12:59pm

WindyNewYorker said: "Finger crossed for Light in the Piazza or Dear World!"

Good news!  They'll be running in rep, along with a new revival of Whoop-Up starring Loretta Swit!

BETTY22
#22What’s Next for the St. James?
Posted: 3/6/24 at 1:23pm

Sunset has it

wcoyote
#23What’s Next for the St. James?
Posted: 3/13/24 at 8:00am

Illinoise - 10 week run..Currently at the Armory 

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#24What’s Next for the St. James?
Posted: 3/13/24 at 8:52am

wcoyote said: "Illinoise - 10 week run..Currently at the Armory"

Yup that's what I heard, too.

Voter
#25What’s Next for the St. James?
Posted: 3/13/24 at 9:37am

wcoyote said: "Illinoise - 10 week run..Currently at the Armory"

Spamalot closes April 7. How big is the set for Illinoise? Can they really squeeze this in before the Tonys cut-off?