News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Shh_413

Member Name: Shh_413
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

I am looking for songs for 4 boys. Any ideas?
 Aug 13 2019, 11:39:30 PM
Turn It Off from The Book of Mormon can be done with exactly 4 boys. You can cut the dance break in the middle if you want to.
SIX (finally) headed to Broadway?
 Aug 7 2019, 10:19:31 AM
ukpuppetboy said: "They could do a lot worse than following Hamilton’s very creative andsuccessful marketing/brandingcampaigns. And maybe the pre-release of a Six:Mixtape featuring the artists that inspired the songs"

I would LOVE that. Imagine Beyonce, Adele, Rihanna, Britney, etc. in the same album.

Roles on Broadway that are not normally wigged?
 Aug 3 2019, 07:18:29 PM
MX888 said: "The Great Comet:Helene, Marya D., Natasha and Summaya Ali (ensemble/violin)wore wigs that closely matched their natural hair; other ensemble members, Mary and Sonya wore extensions (the latter two to help hide their mic packs).

OBC Harry Potter, of the 'Magnificent 7',Ginny (Poppy Miller), Ron (Paul Thornley) and Albus (Sam Clemmett) were unwigged. Hermione (Noma Dumezweni) andHarry (Jamie Parker) definitely wore wigs.I don't think James Snyder we

Six heading to Broadway
 Aug 3 2019, 09:30:56 AM
What Tony categories could it be nominated for? It's a shoo-in for Best Musical, Score, and Lighting Design. Probably Best Book, Costumes, and maybe Direction and Choreography. What else? Could any queens get acting noms? I can't think of any who would stand out for awards since it's very much an ensemble show. In the Oliviers, they nominated all six of them as one unit for Supporting Actress.
How did Phantom lose Best Score??
 Jul 30 2019, 01:05:40 PM
Here are a couple of clips I found on Youtube from MTI where Sondheim himself discusses how to interpret and play the songs. He gives insight on major themes that permeate the score, further the plot, and develop character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psk5KyE7MOg - The 6-note bean theme that's present in Jack's song to Milky White, the beginning of "Stay With Me", and "Giants in the Sky"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AfHZlofGU4 - "Hello, Little Girl" as a two-piece contrasting song with vaudeville themes that allows delineation of Red's easygoing nature and the Wolf's mysterious, predatory character

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGQlbaITD5E - How the intentions of the opening prologue begin from the first note in "Once upon a time...", the "marching" staccato beat signifying characters walking towards the woods, etc.

The whole 52 minute video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUN_MTChn5M

This is for those who insist that Sondheim intentionally leaves the score for Into the Woods vague and dismisses his overt intentions as "subjective declarations" of fanboys. He knew what he was doing and everything had a clear purpose.

I personally don't care about anyone's opinions regarding Phantom's score, and don't have any strong ones myself, but just thought these links might help clear things up.

Catholic High School Musical Choices
 Jun 25 2019, 12:36:45 PM
"You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown" if you need a small cast (that can also be expanded). It's funny, highlights every cast member, the IP is well-known, doesn't have a lot of moving pieces so directing should be slightly easier, the score isn't insanely complex, and has no objectionable material. A lot of people are also suggesting "Seussical" but I personally think that's a hard score that looks deceptively simple.
Songs That Sound An Awful Lot Like Other Songs
 Jun 14 2019, 08:53:02 AM
I've always thought "Bottom's Gonna Be On Top" from Something Rotten! sounded like a weird combination of the intro to "Not the Boy Next Door" from The Boy From Oz and "Suppertime" from You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown.
Colleen Ballinger to Join Cast of Waitress on August 20
 Jun 7 2019, 09:08:31 PM
Valentina3 said: "I wish Lea Salonga would do Jenna. She's not too old for the role, is she? And man she needs a role which has more than just being royal or sad all the time."

I've seen interviews Lea's given where she mentions she doesn't want to play ingenues anymore at her age (if you could classify Jenna as an ingenue) but wants to tackle meatier, headier roles like Sondheim or something. She's doing Mrs. Lovett in the Philippines this year.

Revisiting the HAIRSPRAY film
 Jun 7 2019, 02:58:43 AM
Scarlet Leigh said: "Was not a fan then still not a fan now. It has it's moments and it's performances but overall Travolta and that accent are horribly miscast, the heck was Amanda Bynes doing half the time (not to mention who was the dumb costumer that puts someone in a skin tight dress that doesn't allow a person to move during the biggest dance number of the whole movie?), Tracy was suppose to be some kind of outstanding dancer that her size did not matter cus sh
 Jun 7 2019, 02:08:24 AM
I'm pretty neutral on Travolta's Edna and my main problem with him is his look. He's definitely a more introverted Edna which works better on film than Harvey's biting, laugh-out-loud version on stage. They really drove home the point that Edna has mental and self-esteem issues in the film, which is realistic and something film can achieve better than theatre. I also understand people who dislike the film's tone because it's less... I guess "campy" is the word I'd use. But the integration messag
 Jun 6 2019, 10:06:54 PM
I'm reading some of the people they considered or had auditioned for the cast and the pedigree is crazy. Studio execs wanted Robin Williams, Steve Martin, or Tom Hanks (who were more used to comic roles) for Edna. Billy Crystal was almost Wilbur (I can't believe we almost had Robin and Billy as a married couple on screen). Aretha Franklin was almost Motormouth Maybelle. James Marsden beat out Joey McIntyre and Hugh Jackman for Corny Collins. Hayden Panettiere was also considered for Amber.
 Jun 6 2019, 09:56:17 PM
I love the film. It's one of the rare instances that a musical film based on a Broadway musical was both a critical and financial success. The tone was consistent. The changes made were as a result of directorial and cinematic reasons, rather than for the sake of changing something. For example, they cut "Mama, I'm A Big Girl" because the director didn't want an awkward three-way split screen, and put "New Girl in Town" because film allows you to do a montage, plus actually showed what Negro Day
Hugging Actors At Stage Door
 Jun 3 2019, 08:14:39 PM
Hugging actors at the stage door without their initial consent is just a good way to spread germs that could affect their performance the following days.

Broadway is a stressful work environment and requires actors to be in their peak condition, much like athletes, to make their living. They spend most of their days huddled together in cramped conditions in an old building which does nothing good for their health anyways without randos hugging them every day. (inb4 someone says, "Well, they s

Musicals that make you laugh and make you cry?
 Jun 3 2019, 08:03:28 PM
Fun Home is probably a recent example that has you feeling every single emotion on the scale and can turn on a dime. I'd say DEH too to some extent, but it has considerably less straight-up funny parts.
Six reviews
 May 31 2019, 10:39:56 AM
With regards to cross-generational appeal, I seem to remember a lot of older theatre-going folk enjoying "Here Lies Love" and it's sort of the same vein, although HLL relies more on a plot and the music is disco.
Six reviews
 May 29 2019, 12:49:24 PM
Seeing it performed at BGT amuses me. I can't help thinking of Simon Cowell imagining them as the best girl group he could've signed.
Quiz- Can you name all 71 Best Musical Winners?
 May 27 2019, 05:46:34 PM
SomethingPeculiar said: "This quiz offers 10 minutes, and also shows the year of each winner, which is very helpful.

https://www.sporcle.com/games/g/tonymusicals
"

I can't even count the number of hours I've spent wasting time on Sporcle. For more Broadway-related quizzes, there are lots of good audio-based ones there in the vein of "Guess that Obscure Musical" or "Name that Musical Overture".

Quiz- Can you name all 71 Best Musical Winners?
 May 27 2019, 11:46:31 AM
48 but I thought I was misremembering two of them. Turns out they're just inconsistent if they want articles or not and that's why they didn't accept two of my answers. So I'm counting it as 50.
Should Six Transfer?
 May 26 2019, 09:42:42 AM
If they add a new song, should they change the lyrics of "Six" (the song)? Since it's basically a lyrical callback to all the songs they sang.
FOSSE/VERDON
 May 22 2019, 04:36:21 PM
Michelle Williams should submit this episode for the Emmy Awards.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You