News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for LLW2

Member Name: LLW2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

What do you think about this? Magdalena - a new musical  Feb 27 2020, 10:01:50 PM

I’m not an expert on such things, but I like the music. I think it’s pretty and moving. And I remember seeing an expose on the Magdalene Laundries — maybe on 60 Minutes or some show like that? Seems like an interesting topic for a musical. Heartbreaking for sure.

Rachel Bay Jones to Lead NEXT TO NORMAL at the Kennedy Center  Feb 2 2020, 10:50:37 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C7cQ6Oz6qM

It really was a "tear-drenched treat," as another poster promised.

Rachel Bay Jones to Lead NEXT TO NORMAL at the Kennedy Center  Jan 29 2020, 11:00:25 PM

n2nbaby said: "pdjennings said: "At intermission of the first performance. This cast is FANTASTIC. This could totally transfer, as-is, for an outstanding revival.
"

I cannot wait to see this on Saturday!
"

I will also be seeing this on Saturday. I have never seen a "semi-staged concert" so I have no idea what to expect but so glad to get this positive review.

Marriage Story on Netflix / COMPANY  Dec 23 2019, 09:07:05 PM

Broadway Joe said: "I thought this movie was a waste of time with completely unlikeable characters. Absolutely boring as well to me."

I tend to agree with you. Also seems like a retread of Kramer vs. Kramer, War of the Roses, and whatever other divorce movies that feature the trope of controlling husbands and vindictive wives.

Marriage Story on Netflix / COMPANY  Dec 21 2019, 04:11:51 PM

This seems odd. "Driver walked out of an interview earlier this month with Fresh Air host Terry Gross after expressing displeasure at the idea of listening to a clip of himself singing 'Being Alive' from the musical Company."

https://www.thedailybeast.com/adam-driver-walks-out-of-npr-fresh-air-interview-over-marriage-story-clip

Bad Theater Behavior  Dec 17 2019, 09:37:56 PM

JSquared2 said: "At last night's performance of WEST SIDE STORY, there was a lone girl in the orchestra who would loudly "Whoo Whoo!!!" at the end of EVERY number! So annoying (particularly in this production). I only wish I had been sitting behind her so I could have swatted her in the head with a rolled up Playbill!"

The same happened when I saw Chicago last year, except the whoo-whooing person was sitting directly behind me and

Despite Turnaround, ‘Beetlejuice’ Being Forced Out of Theater  Dec 9 2019, 09:17:36 PM

dmwnc1959 said: "Since nothing else on Broadway running around that time currently appeals to me itmight be a good time to hit Moulin Rouge! again. I’m sure the originalcast will be gone by then? Anyways, maybe that or Hadestown one more time. Will have to do some homework this weekend to see what’s what. :)"

Oh my gosh, you aren't interested in seeing Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, Company, Six, West Side Story

Despite Turnaround, ‘Beetlejuice’ Being Forced Out of Theater  Dec 9 2019, 08:55:46 PM

dmwnc1959 said: "Was looking for a good reason to return to Broadway. Bought my ticket for the 8pm June 6th performance. YAY!"

I just did the same.

I Need Help In Finding A Scene  Nov 19 2019, 08:14:38 PM

What about the Gwendolen/Cecily scene from The Importance of Being Earnest?

Movies that WILL be musicals, inevitably  Nov 6 2019, 08:43:57 PM

I have aways thought that Chappaquiddick will be a musical eventually.

Beetlejuice on The View  Oct 31 2019, 10:36:09 PM

Tag said: "I don't really know anything about the show, but they performed a song with the lyrics "all we want to do is hear that sound". What in the world are they singing about? It was very unclear what the "sound" was.Terrible & confusing way to promote the show."

The sound they refer to is people screaming in terror. You hear him say, "Oh God, I love that sound" right after he says "Boo" and the cast screams and runs away. Then, just before the song, Lydia says, "We're supposed to be making people scream in terror." I agree that the connection isn't clear in this clip.

Shows you thought you would hate but ended up loving...  Oct 31 2019, 09:15:01 PM

This is a fun thread. Mine are Dear Evan Hansen and Once on This Island.

Having heard a few songs from Dear Evan Hansen, I figured it was overhyped and manipulative, but was happily surprised to discover that I loved it when I saw it. (Although I still roll my eyes at “So Big So Small.” Come on.) The promotional videos for Once on This Island left me cold, but once I was immersed in the experien

Favorite cast album for a show you have never seen?  Oct 28 2019, 08:55:01 PM

The Mystery of Edwin Drood.

Bootleg  Oct 24 2019, 08:18:07 PM

magictodo123 said: "Also, stealing doesn't have to just be physical, What if you have an idea for something and someone else takes it?"

Ideas can't be copyrighted so there would be no legal recourse in that case. (The phrasing of the question and the obvious answer makes me fear I really am dealing with a troll but who knows.)

Viciously Funny Reviews  Oct 20 2019, 10:44:57 PM

I used to own this book, No Turn Unstoned, a bunch of vicious reviews compiled by Diana Rigg, but I lost it in some move. Might be worth ordering if you want a collection of them.

https://www.amazon.com/No-Turn-Unstoned-Theatrical-Reviews/dp/0385188625/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=no+turn+unstoned&qid=1571625097&sr=8-1

Mystery Shows?  Oct 14 2019, 08:15:03 PM

The Mousetrap.

Cosplay during shows  Sep 23 2019, 10:04:32 PM

uncageg said: "I saw it during previews and there were a ton of people in black and white stripes and just black and white clothing. I loved it. I know that isn't dressing up as a character, but it was so fun to see."

I agree. As an audience member at the DC tryouts, I got a kick out of seeing other audience members in black & white stripes and Lydia wigs in the lobby. It added to the fun. I mean, it’s Beetlejuice, for God’s sak

HADESTOWN cast album - thoughts?  Jul 29 2019, 01:09:30 AM

Dave13 said: "JBroadway said: "Anyone else find the applause in the opening number extremely silly? Not only does it strike me as a little odd that they would include applause on a studio album, but it’s also such a mild smattering. Sounds so unenthusiastic! It made me laugh in a way that they didn’t intend. "

No. The applause you hear is the actors on stage. During the opening scene, the entire cast is on stage as he introduces them and the cast is applauding. It’s not the audience you hear.
"

When I saw the show, the applause was loud and mystifying to me, as we don't know the characters but we're asked to welcome them as if we do. I couldn't figure out whether the applause was a recording or was really coming from audience members. But at the end, when the circular nature of the narrative became clear, the opening applause made sense. Of course we knew the characters, it's a tale told again and again.

Moulin Rouge (pro) reviews  Jul 25 2019, 11:39:01 PM

Washington Post seems lukewarm.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/theater_dance/will-you-love-moulin-rouge-as-a-stage-musical-well-youll-certainly-fall-in-like/2019/07/25/4aa3a796-aedf-11e9-a0c9-6d2d7818f3da_story.html?utm_term=.5081ea1bac7d

BEETLEJUICE Reviews  Jul 22 2019, 11:03:38 PM

dmwnc1959 said: "I think Otho was just not funny at all and seemed a bit of an awkward part. Not sure that more of him would have helped."

Definitely not. We got lots more of him in the DC tryout -- I think he even had a song, "The Box" or "My Box" or something, which was mercifully cut from the Broadway version.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You