News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for RainyAgwe

Member Name: RainyAgwe
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

WATER FOR ELEPHANTS Broadway Previews
 Feb 25 2024, 02:20:56 PM

Jordan Catalano said: "Performances were all good, as was the staging. That score though. Oof. That's what kills this show. It stops it dead in it's tracks 20-something times when people open their mouths to sing. Not every song is AWFUL but there's more than enough of them that really are. And while the acrobatics were great there was nothing "elevated" about them that made you OOH or AAH (well, besides some of the people who were literally SCREAMING throughout the entire show, something that Broadway needs to find a way to address because it's ridiculous). Same with the animals - the Elephant was good but we've seen great and better puppetry on stage in the recent past and I'll even include "King Kong" in that because that ape was exceptional. Not asking Julie Taymor to come and re-do "The Lion King" for this but it wouldn't have hurt to have a bit of that on this stage. It just would have helped and heightened everything else.

I dunno what I expected from this, having never read the book or seen the film but I don't exactly have any desire to do either of them, now. But as always,I hope people do enjoy itbut it was just a big ol' miss for me.
"

As someone who *loved* the book and saw the show last night, there are a lot of things that the musical does that really undersells what makes the story a worthwhile read. Definitely recommend the book, though it’s not life-changing.

Outside of the noted problems with the score (I’m not one that needs everyone to be hummable, but there’s a couple of times I literally shook my head and audibly said “what the ****&rdquo, I find that that book never really narrows in on a perspective. What is the story we are trying to tell? It’s set up as the memory of a lonely old man, but gives us no reason to care about him. Then with the Benzini timeline I feel like they have so much misused time that could be used to make me care about what’s happening. I think because I know how these relationships develop in the book I just have a hard time watching them hardly scratch the surface on any of it in the musical. 

I didn’t HATE it, and I have seen **** I’ve hated, but I feel like a good musical can be found somewhere in the material they have (but remove that horrendous song Izzy and then Grant sing in act two, for the love of god).

but hey, if this closes early I want people to remember that Paul Alexander Nolan is ****ing amazing in this. Give the man a Tony nomination.

KIMBERLY AKIMBO Reviews
 Jun 6 2023, 06:10:02 PM

Hey y’all, question:

I saw this show pretty early in previews at the Atlantic (3rd!) and I was incredibly bored. My friends have all loved the show since then (especially the broadway production), and I was wondering if anyone had a solid idea of what had changed? I come up to see theatre in NY semi-regularly, but I’m having a hard time stomaching seeing a show I was that bored at without an understanding that it’s ~different~ than when I originally saw

Music Man Rush Line.
 Jul 10 2022, 05:59:42 AM

This morning I got to the Winter Garden Theater at about 5:45am and there as not a soul in sight. I actually went to the other side of the building just to confirm I wasn’t going mad!

hopefully I get something good!

Julie Benko plays FB tonight in Funny Girl
 Jun 15 2022, 10:44:46 PM

BrodyFosse123 said: "hearthemsing22 said: "I may be in the minority? But I hope this doesn’t mean Lea Michele will have a chance at taking over"

Lea Michele’s handlers would not even inform her IF she was being considered. This would be the biggest career fiasco accepting to REPLACE anyone, let alone Beanie Feldstein.
"

How is this remotely true? I'm honestly so confused as to how this would be "the biggest career fia

Come From Away Closing Oct 2
 Jun 8 2022, 07:07:45 PM

Dang, I started to make the assumption when Jenn Colella was announced but I was hoping I was wrong :/

Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
 Mar 9 2022, 11:55:45 PM

Someone I know who works there says there will be a couple of other pretty exciting choices for this one, so hopefully they aren’t wrong 😂

CSC’s ASSASSINS Revival - Previews
 Nov 9 2021, 11:48:45 PM

I saw the show last weekend, and as someone who has not consumed the show prior to watching it I left the theatre really impacted by what I saw. I thought the whole thing was incredibly well done from top to bottom, and the cast was stellar.

honestly I’m shocked by how some of the folks here received this production, as if I was from the city I’d probably sign up for the lotto every day. 

Waitress Casting
 Nov 8 2021, 06:26:13 PM

ColorTheHours048 said: "Can’t wait to buy a ticket for this. Joshua Henry will be brilliant and will sound like a dream. I’ve also seen Tyrone Davis, Jr. go on as Ogie and he’s wonderful. His “Never Getting Rid of Me” brought the house down.

Great casting over at Waitress.
"

I’m really surprised by your thoughts on Tyrone Davis, Jr… he went on when I went to see the show and I probably gave one of the worst perform

Waitress Casting
 Nov 8 2021, 06:26:13 PM

ColorTheHours048 said: "Can’t wait to buy a ticket for this. Joshua Henry will be brilliant and will sound like a dream. I’ve also seen Tyrone Davis, Jr. go on as Ogie and he’s wonderful. His “Never Getting Rid of Me” brought the house down.

Great casting over at Waitress.
"

I’m really surprised by your thoughts on Tyrone Davis, Jr… he went on when I went to see the show and I probably gave one of the worst perform

KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews
 Nov 7 2021, 08:57:07 PM

Synecdoche2 said: "It's terrific! suicidalmickeymouse will doubtless be in the extreme minority. See it before it sells out."

Well then add me to that minority! I thought this musical was just fine, if that. While the performances were pretty solid across the board I was waiting for a song or moment (outside of one) to really make an impact on me. I also questioned some of the structure to the narrative, and wished that some of the songs were more memorable. Hone

Black No More Musical
 Oct 22 2021, 12:27:54 PM
Hey yall Im very interested in seeing this, but I was wondering if anyone knew of any discount codes for the show?

I read the book during undergrad and the cast looks great, so hopefully I can find something!

Waitress Casting
 Oct 7 2021, 09:06:29 PM

VintageSnarker said: "RainyAgwe said: "If you took my comment as some sort of personal attack, that'son you. Honestly of all the times I've seen someone point stuff like this out dare I say this is the mostcalm/general point out I've witness, especially that I literally absolved you of intent.You've now interpreted this as me accusing you as some racist who used coded language, which is a bit absurd."

Agreed. If only all the discussions h

Funny Girl 2022 Revival
 Oct 6 2021, 10:36:05 AM

bway0 said: "RainyAgwe said: "For those who know the show - would it be better for me to familiarize myself before I eventually see this? Or should I leave it to be a surprise?

Thanks y’all for any wisdom bestowed!
"

I’m with you. Know nothing about it. Normally I do not research my shows before I see them but I feel like I might want to for this one. Especially since I think tickets might cost more than usual.

Edit

Waitress Casting
 Oct 6 2021, 10:32:45 AM

JDonaghy4 said: "i appreciate this response/distinction. i'm not sure i agree that because somethingcould be interpreted as offensive, it should be policed/called out. im POC and i'm not as fragile as all that. but thats a broader conversation, and your point is well received below."

I guess in my mind I wasn't attempting to call out/police them, but more say "hey I'm sure you didn't mean this like that, but this is how it could be v

Funny Girl 2022 Revival
 Oct 6 2021, 09:02:29 AM
For those who know the show - would it be better for me to familiarize myself before I eventually see this? Or should I leave it to be a surprise?

Thanks y’all for any wisdom bestowed!

Hadestown on a very thin Budget
 Oct 6 2021, 08:59:53 AM

Bryce Hansen said: "Hey all... So my wife and I are headed to NYC for the very first time and we want to see a couple of shows. I already have my Dear Evan Hansen Tickets, but am stumped on Hadestown. We are traveling in and our budget is thin so Extreme seating is about the best we can do:

Back Corner of the Mez for $99 Row H Extreme side Left or Right
Row C of the Mez for $139 Extreme Left or Right available.
Row G Orchestra Extreme Right for about $159 Left or

Waitress Casting
 Oct 6 2021, 08:50:35 AM

JDonaghy4 said: "LarryD2 said: "There are poor and working class people of all racial and ethnic backgrounds, but Waitress is a story that has traditionally been told from a white perspective. I said that I thought Sparks acted the role beautifully and that she seemed believably working class in a way that Mueller and especially Bareilles did not. It's a comment on heracting.Furthermore, "working class" is not a slur or something to be ashamed of. You

Waitress Casting
 Oct 6 2021, 12:34:27 AM

JDonaghy4 said: "LarryD2 said: "There are poor and working class people of all racial and ethnic backgrounds, but Waitress is a story that has traditionally been told from a white perspective. I said that I thought Sparks acted the role beautifully and that she seemed believably working class in a way that Mueller and especially Bareilles did not. It's a comment on heracting.Furthermore, "working class" is not a slur or something to be ashamed of. You

Waitress Casting
 Oct 5 2021, 10:41:59 PM

LarryD2 said: "There are poor and working class people of all racial and ethnic backgrounds, but Waitress is a story that has traditionally been told from a white perspective. I said that I thought Sparks acted the role beautifully and that she seemed believably working class in a way that Mueller and especially Bareilles did not. It's a comment on heracting.Furthermore, "working class" is not a slur or something to be ashamed of. You extrapolated a coded messa

Waitress Casting
 Oct 5 2021, 10:22:31 PM

LarryD2 said: "RainyAgwe said: "LarryD2 said: "I'd love to see Nicolette Robinson come back. Her singing and acting were great. It's also worth noting that she was the first Jenna who had actually been pregnant, and I thought that affected her performance very strongly, including the way she moved on stage that some of the other actors didn't quite get.

Jordin Sparks was also an excellent Jenna -- she sang extremely well and really acted it beautifully, including that she seemed totally working class, which I don't think Bareilles, Mueller or McPhee ever fully captured.
"

Not attempting to derail anything here, but there's something about the wording of this that really rubs me the wrong way. I get that you mean that her performance feltmore authentic to you, but the way that this is worded felt a little "this woman of color felt more working class than the prominent white women who have played the role".

I'm not attempting to accuse you ofactuallysaying this, but wanted to point this out as folks whodomean it this way often code their language similarly.
"

Accusing me of using “coded language” is exactly what you’re doing. It’s good to remember that you actually know nothing about any of the people behind these screen names. Not that it should matter, but I am Black, and I grew up in a very working class environment. The story of Waitress resonates with my experiences.

In my comments, I highlighted that Sparks acted Jenna more authentically than any other actress I saw. She inhabited the character believably as a woman stuck in a dead end job and a marriage that she couldn’t see a way out of. If you read something untowardinto that, it’s on you.

I don’t expect an apology, but I do hope you’ll proceed with a bit more grace in the future.
"

I'd like to comment that I am also black along with a graduate Theatre/African American Studies double degree (woot!), looking at such language (theatrically or otherwise) has been a part of what I have done as my educational background. Not only did I pretty tamely address the potential use of language, I addressed the specifics of how you worded the statement and not your intent (which I also brought up)

Not only did I note that it is the wording that could be interpreted this way, but I also in a literal sense let you know that that's not what I believe that you intended. I feel like you took what I had pointed to and decided to exasperate the comment and make it into something much more than what I said. I pointed to the potential coding that could exist. To say that she "acted it beautifully, including that she seemed working class" is absolutely something that could be used as coded language. I'm also, as noted above, not the only one who found the wording odd. 

Heck, even in your amended version of your perspective you worded it differently. You're talking about the performative nature of theatre, and "seeming" can mean a lot of things. You're now talking about authenticity in tangible means, but "seeming" is almost always implying an outward apperance (Merriam-Webster defines as both "external appearance as distinguished from true character" and "outwardly or superficially evident but not true or real". This is about language, which is what I was talking about, not the user or their intent. I'll also reiterate that I, again, said that this is sometimes how people can code language... not that you did.

If you took my comment as some sort of personal attack, that's on you. Honestly of all the times I've seen someone point stuff like this out dare I say this is the most calm/general point out I've witnessed, especially that I literally absolved you of intent. You've now interpreted this as me accusing you as some racist who used coded language, which is a bit absurd.

I will not apologize because I have nothing to apologize for, and I hope that you'll proceed with a bit more grace and self-reflection in the future instead of jumping to such a conclusion when something along this line is brought up.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You