News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for BroadwayMel

BroadwayMel Profile Photo
Member Name: BroadwayMel
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Discounts for Jersey Boys or Spelling Bee
 Jan 17 2006, 01:55:36 PM
Does anyone know of any discounts for Jersey Boys or Spelling Bee?
re: A New Brain
 Sep 17 2005, 08:58:30 PM
I also caught the original production. Wonderful show - and I loved the song "The Music Still Plays On." Malcolm Gets was brilliant as well.
re: Imperial Theater seating
 Sep 15 2005, 08:45:50 AM
The Imperial is such a small house, I'm not sure there's such a thing as a bad seat. I saw the show from the rear mezz and had no problems.
re: What to wear to broadway...
 Aug 23 2005, 06:57:22 PM
As someone who has gone to the theater regularly (I'm talking at least once every other week), my perspective is there's no dress code. I try to look presentable. If I come from work, I'm typically in a suit/dress that is acceptable by anyone's standards.

If it's a weekend, I'll throw on anything I darn well please -- sometimes it's a skirt. Sometimes it's jeans (albeit clean jeans) and a cool top. Sometimes I wear nice shoes, sometimes I wear nice sneakers, and sometimes I wear (ga

re: Makeover for Lennon
 Aug 13 2005, 04:32:08 PM
I also saw the show on Thursday -- a press night at that -- and the show still retained it's fragmented "9 Lennon" format. Aside from the opening and the ending, very little had changed in the show. Albeit, I think the reworked beginning and end is much better AND I thought the show was tighter all around.
re: Broadway Actors at Broadway Show Lotteries
 Jul 6 2005, 01:34:21 PM
I was there when Gwen Stewart (original Seasons of Love soloist and later played Joanne) won the Rent lottery after she left the show.
re: Titanic - the musical
 Jul 4 2005, 09:49:57 PM
It also inspired one of my favorite Gypsy of the Year parodies. The cast came out with little rubber swimmies and lifesavers and sang to the tune of All That Jazz...

Come on boys, why don't we faint and drown?
And all that ice?

another smippet

And, instead of "Where the gin is cold, but the piano's hot" they sang "The props are bolted down, but the piano's not."

HILARIOUS.

Jul 4 2005, 09:38:54 PM
I stand by my post, ghostlight. I was SPECIFICALLY talking about the acting. I believe I wrote:

There were some great performances -- Victoria Clark, Michael Cerveris, and Brian D'Arcy James -- however, I didn't think any of their roles allowed them to "stand out" in a season that boasted the likes of Chicago (which subsequently took home most of the acting awards this year).

NONE of the performers in Titanic were nominated for the Tony. While the show took ho

re: Most Curiously Touching Songs
 Jul 4 2005, 07:55:50 PM
There are a few out there that kill me:

1) Your Daddy's Son (Ragtime)
2) Nobody Needs To Know (The Last 5 Years)
3) Bring Him Home (Les Miserables)
4) Flying Home (Songs For A New World)
5) I'll Cover You, Reprise (Rent)

Gotta love it!
 Jul 4 2005, 07:51:48 PM
I have to laugh...I've been a huge fan of Norbert's since he was an understudy/swing in Rent. I remember praying to see the understudy board with the hope that he would be on in some capacity. (Loved his Roger, but he was a BRILLIANT Mark.) It was funny to see how upset people were to come in, see that Adam Pascal or Anthony Rapp were out and be very disappointed (understandably). We used to joke that Norbert was the "poor man's Adam Pascal."

It's been great to watch his career prog

re: Wicked and Spelling Bee Lotteries
 Jul 4 2005, 06:47:12 PM
I've done both lotto and SRO for Spelling Bee.

The SRO spots aren't the greatest, but totally bearable. The show is at Circle in the Square. SRO is at the side of the square, so you miss some of the action. It's totally worth the $26.50.

Spelling Bee is really short -- just about 90 minutes with no intermission. I stood the entire time without blinking an eye. You can probably crouch, but it probably won't come to that.

Note: The Wicked lotto is insane. Spel

re: New Quiz - Peeking in the PIAZZA
 Jul 4 2005, 06:42:20 PM
9/10

Not bad, considering I was underwhelmed by the musical. (Gasp! Did I really say that out loud?)

Jul 4 2005, 03:59:28 PM
To clarify...

I was JOKING about the "There she is...big *ss ship." It's something to the effect of: "There she is...towering high, blah, blah..." Insert more choruses about how magnificent the ship is.

Second, I haven't listened to the CD in awhile...I might be confusing it with something else. While the show definitely has a full score, I thought the CD only featured a few songs and the rest was largely instrumental. Perhaps I'm wrong -- if I am, oh well. (Maybe I have

Jul 4 2005, 03:06:51 PM
They did, indeed, make a cast recording. I think there are only about 6-7 songs on it. My opinion? Not worth having.
re: Cast Recording Suggestions
 Jul 4 2005, 02:15:00 PM
The CD's I can pop into my CD player at any given moment:

The Last 5 Years (A Must Have!)
Tick, Tick...Boom!
Bright Lights, Big City
Cabaret (Revival Cast)

CD's with a nice "upbeat feel"

Little Shop of Horrors (Revival Cast)
Hairspray

re: Rush tickets...
 Jul 4 2005, 02:10:58 PM
I think weekdays at DRS are a walk in the park. If you show up with a group of people I think you're definitely more likely to get in. Quite honestly, I've never actually *won* lotto, but my companion has always gotten in (and me, by default).

If you're looking for help, drop me a line. I'm fairly local. If I can get out of work early enough, I'll drop my name in. If I win, the tickets are yours. (Or, if you need a companion, I'll see the show with you.)

Wicked? I've done

Jul 4 2005, 02:04:40 PM
I saw this musical about 5 times when it was open in New York. There were some great performances -- Victoria Clark, Michael Cerveris, and Brian D'Arcy James -- however, I didn't think any of their roles allowed them to "stand out" in a season that boasted the likes of Chicago (which subsequently took home most of the acting awards this year).

The score? Mediocre. The only thing I really remember from the show are the lines, "There she is...big a** ship" (or something to that effect

re: I'm scared to see Lennon...
 Jul 4 2005, 02:00:47 PM
Really? It "looks" terrible or you've heard it's terrible?

I for one, haven't seen it -- let's give it a chance.

I went with a friend who was a huge fan of the Beach Boys to see Good Vibrations. While he admitted it was the worst show he had ever seen, he had no regrets because he's such a fan of the music. I think, in some cases, the hardcore fans are sometimes the easiest to please.

It opens in previews this week. I, for one, am going to buy a ticket. Do I h

re: Musical of Musicals: The Musical!
 Jul 4 2005, 01:55:13 PM
It's really funny if you're a big fan of musicals throughout the ages. Be careful who you see it with -- I brought a co-worker who is an occasional theatergoer, and he didn't get a lot of the jokes.

It's enjoyable, but I wouldn't spend a ton of money on it. I got my tickets via play by play (thus, $3). I would have been really ticked off if I had paid the full price of around $60 for the show.

re: Norbert out tonight!
 Jun 10 2005, 12:47:57 PM
"Butz" is his real last name. "da butz" is the very ghetto-superstar (as ghetto-superstar as theater people get) nickname coined when he was nothing but a little swing in Rent with all the potential in the world.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You