News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Yero my Hero

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Member Name: Yero my Hero
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Web Site: http://www.broadwayforbrokepeople.com
Blog Address:

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

broadway for broke people?  Apr 9 2020, 05:44:13 PM

Hi, everyone,

I am the person behind BroadwayForBrokePeople.

Yes, as a few people have mentioned, I recently had a baby and I only get a chance to update the website once a week, sometimes less. I have also been on this site much less frequently than I used to. I still intend to keep the site as up-to-date as possible, but I have allowed myself to get a few weeks behind lately. I apologize for that. I admit, I have not been updating it during the coro

Tony Voting Question  Aug 16 2019, 07:24:24 PM

I believe they have to upload a picture of their tickets or Playbill, or something like that. It's not a perfect system, but it's better than the honors system they had before.

How "kiddie" is The Lightning Thief?  Aug 14 2019, 04:53:17 PM

I first saw the show in its 60-minute version and I saw it again at the Lortel once it was expanded to full length. I was 30 years old, had never seen the movie or read the book and only knew basic Greek mythology, and I loved it. I didn't think it was hard to follow or understand at all, the performances were great, and the stagecraft is really ingenious and charming in its low budget look -- think PETER AND THE STARCATCHER or THE 39 STEPS.

The original 60 minute ver

Tony Voting Question  Aug 14 2019, 04:41:21 PM

I believe a recent change to Tony rules is that voters must have seen all the nominees in a category to vote in that category.

As the previous poster said, that has always been the rule, but only recently did they implement a system that allowed them to actually enforce that rule.

A few years ago, after SCOTTSBORO BOYS closed so early in the season and then received a bunch of nominations, the producers invited Tony voters to scheduled viewin

2018-2019 shows that have recouped?  Jul 6 2019, 10:12:57 AM

Sure, but my point is that those profits were spent on other programming, they did not just go into a bank account as "profit." They know which shows have contributed more to their bottom line and how much ticket income the show has brought in, the same way we know which shows are more successful by reading the reported grosses, but there is no point when they can announce, "Show A just recouped its initial investment!" because there IS no initial investment or capita

2018-2019 shows that have recouped?  Jul 6 2019, 09:18:13 AM

Whether a theater company is for profit or nonprofit shouldn’t make a difference in noting whether a production recoups or not. 

Of course it should, because the term "recoup" is meaningless and irrelevant to the way nonprofits finance shows.

"Recoup" means to earn back its initial investment. Nonprofit shows don't have an initial investment, they are built into the company's operating bu

Has a tony performance ever saved a show  Jun 27 2019, 01:04:54 PM

I've heard it generally accepted that THE WEDDING SINGER's performance on the Tonys helped it stay open. Although, in nearly all these cases, I would say it didn't exactly "save" the show, more like delayed the inevitable.

2019 Tony Eligibility Part 3  Apr 11 2019, 06:29:09 PM

Edit: posted before I saw the second link. 

It looks like the change today narrows it to living writers, but also expands it to writers whose work has been on Broadway before, but has been substantially revised (e.g. Fierstein).

Awful experience at Dear Evan Hansen last night  Jan 11 2019, 05:05:18 PM
I was also there last night. The Evan understudy you saw has been with the show for longer than most, if not all of the cast. Ive seen every Broadway Evan, and he is my favorite. True, his voice wasnt as strong last night as it normally is, but he hit every note and acted the role well, which is more than I can say for a few of the full-time Evans. I would say you lucked out by seeing him. It sounds like you saw an understudy slip and decided he was not as good.

I didnt notice the othe

DEH Polo Sizes  Oct 24 2018, 08:24:53 PM
They are unisex, so they run on the larger side to fit men. Sizes are XS-XXL.
24 Hour musicals! To play American Airline Theatre  Sep 17 2018, 09:29:17 PM
The 24 Hour Plays has been an annual event on Broadway for a while now, but this is the first time they are doing 24 Hour Musicals on Broadway.

I try to go every year. It’s such a fun event!

Anyone notice how BLUE Broadway is these days?  Aug 30 2018, 09:16:58 PM
It pops against the orange-ish tone of most human skin. Common marketing technique.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OrangeBlueContrast

Places to Eat in Times Square  Aug 14 2018, 06:42:16 PM
I love City Kitchen for the convenience and the variety. My typical dinner there is the duck shawarma from Box, a blueberry soda from Luke’s, and a doughnut from Dough for dessert. My husband goes for the ramen or tacos. I’ve also done the lobster roll and I like it. I haven’t found the prices any better or worse than anywhere else in Times Square.
Studio 54 seating question  Aug 3 2018, 10:07:31 PM
Miles2Go is not exaggerating. I am not quite 5’2” and I was cramped in the rear mezz, specifically in the side section.

The front mezz and center rear mezz are somewhat better.

Can HS students lottery w/o an ID  Aug 3 2018, 09:07:09 PM

When my sister was young and did not have a photo ID (our small-town schools did not issue IDs), my family often visited me in New York and we would enter several ticket lotteries and rushes.

If my sister won, she showed her library card with her name, but no photo, and a parent would show their license with the same last name.

When she would do a student rush with me, I showed my college ID and that was good enough, as she was very clearly a student. She usually brought

Closed Caption performances  Jun 30 2018, 09:53:37 PM
My second time seeing GENTLEMAN’S GUIDE, I was sitting near the closed caption screen. (It was a rush ticket, so I was actually originally seated where the screen was set up and the house manager had to move me to the row behind and a bit over.)

It wasn’t a distraction during the show, and in fact it was kind of nice to be able to glance over at the screen any time I didn’t quite catch a lyric. The friends I was with were seeing the show for the first time, and they felt the same way ab

Tony Voting Problem  Jun 11 2018, 05:06:52 PM
All Tony voters have to register on the Tony voter website, and they are required to enter the dates of every show they see. If they do not see everything in a category, that category is grayed out and they are unable to cast a vote.

The system is obviously not foolproof, as there is no way to be sure that the voter stated for the whole show, or that they even used the tickets under their name. But at least they are trying to enforce it. Technology will only make it easier.

Best Original Score -- not televised?  Jun 11 2018, 05:02:03 PM
I know people won’t believe me, but this year they decided to alternate Best Book and Best Score on the telecast. This year Best Book was televised, next year Best Score will be televised, no matter who is nominated. I wish they could make time to air both, but if that is a non-starter for CBS, at least this is a better compromise than just never showing bookwriters.

That is the idea, anyway, until they change their minds again.

Where do I find info about In My Life, by Joseph Brooks  May 31 2018, 11:01:18 PM

I have the CD single, too. They were handing them out the night I saw DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS. No, I don’t know why. I don’t think I ever listened to it.

The Boys in the Band - standing room  May 4 2018, 06:30:42 PM
I’m 5’2” and I did standing room there for THE ELEPHANT MAN. It was perfectly fine. Actually, a nice height to rest my chin on the wall.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You