News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Dummy

Dummy Profile Photo
Member Name: Dummy
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Dirty Rotten Kelsey?
 Sep 12 2005, 06:10:50 AM
I just moved to London a couple of weeks ago and saw John Mahoney (Marty Crane from Frasier) as the judge in Romance at the Almeida Theatre the other day...very funny. I think Frasier is still big in the UK right now. KG would be a great Lawrence, but I don't know that he'd be up to the physical task of performing the role with verve every night...have you noticed how much of a sweat Lithgow works up? Baldwin, in my opinion, would be wonderful. The best SNLs in recent years have been when he
re: Broadway Bares...do the guys take EVERYTHING off?
 Jun 12 2005, 03:19:53 PM
I would add Pentecost to the list of shows with full frontal male nudity. Not that this is a particularly sexy case in point.

re: My Return to PIAZZA (June 1 Matinee)
 Jun 2 2005, 02:50:03 PM
I loved the musical, too. I highly recommend that you read Elizabeth Spencer's novella...it's short, easy to read, beautifully written, and opens up the story in ways that will enrich your enjoyment of the musical. The relationship between Margaret and Signor Nacarelli is brilliant...it turns out to be a very subtle battle of wits and wills. Spencer effectively captures nuances of American vs. Italian mentality, and wonderfully portrays Margaret's competing perceptions of Italians: part admir
re: Julius Ceaser with Denzel......
 Jun 2 2005, 02:25:59 PM
This would seem to be an opportune moment for JC to return to the stage...as DGrant points out:

"the intention was to present a scenario in which a megalomaniac has created a situation in which his country is completely at odds with itself, to the point of actually being at war."

That's it, in a nutshell. The production could have done so much more with the material than it does, but I still doubt that most American audiences are ready to open their minds to the frighteni

re: DRS Lottery
 May 31 2005, 02:28:51 PM
When I did the lottery, the odd ticket was dead center behind the conductor (who, by the by, is a very nice man who has probably received the 3rd largest collection of Lithgow saliva...right behind J.L.'s former and current spouses.)
re: The Phantom of the Opera: comparing the movie to the stage
 May 12 2005, 02:20:36 PM
Anthony Lane hit the nail on the head in his New Yorker review.

In case you missed it: http://www.newyorker.com/critics/cinema/?050103crci_cinema

What the heck--even if you didn't miss it, read it again. It's priceless.

re: Munk's JULIUS CAESAR review
 Apr 30 2005, 05:04:44 PM
Doubt, Pillowman, & Spamalot top my list of must sees...as in I haven't seen them yet. But I'd also consider Turandot at the Met tonight. Let us know what you see!
 Apr 30 2005, 04:39:56 PM
"I felt bad for that man massaging his nasty-ass feet."

ROTFLMAO. You are too funny, Munk. By shrewd observations, I refer to your many insightful remarks about Walker's and Jones's performances, your descriptions about the lighting and sound, how actors occupied the stage, etc. etc. You have a very perceptive eye and take in the various elements of a production, putting the pieces together to form a rich synopsis that helps even those of us who've seen the show think about it in new

Apr 30 2005, 04:21:21 PM
His saggy bottom, perhaps???

I don't mean to pick apart your review by any means...just to clarify the role of Caesar. You make a number of shrewd observations & I'm glad you enjoyed the production!

Apr 30 2005, 04:06:38 PM
Great review, Munk. I'm glad so many people are going to this production...the attendance numbers have been impressive (though perhaps due largely to Washington's star power).

I wouldn't consider Washington as "stunt casting" by any means. He's done Shakespeare before on stage and screen (see Branagh's "Much Ado"--he's a wonderful Don Pedro). He's a natural choice for Brutus, given the powerful and sympathetic aura he exudes in almost everything he's done. That said, I found his per

re: Lewis Black Rants About Theatre
 Apr 28 2005, 05:51:28 PM
Ha ha...time for some deep breathing exercises, Mr. Black. I don't think most people go into theater expecting to be set up with a swanky flat and a nice car. I think you do it because it's your love.

...or you just want to get laid.

re: Forehead microphones
 Apr 28 2005, 04:50:16 PM
Those were the days before everyone in the audience had gone deaf from rock concerts, headphones, etc. Nowadays even the voice on the subway is screaming at you. Go to a movie and you need to ask for a pair of earplugs with your popcorn and Milk Duds.

"Today's hearing loss is brought to you by Dolby."

The audience is listening? They're all bleeding out their ears! Lol.

re: Forehead microphones
 Apr 28 2005, 03:55:01 PM
I guess when you go to see Little Women and Jo looks like this, then they've got some work to do on hiding the mike.
Forehead microphones
 Apr 28 2005, 03:30:09 PM
When did they start slapping actors’ microphones smack dab on their foreheads? Seems like they used to hide them better in the hair/brow line at the temple. They must do a better job acoustically up there on the noggin, but they sure look weird. The first time I noticed it, I thought, “That poor girl has a horrible birthmark or tumor on her head!” But then I realized everyone in the show was suffering from the same affliction.

Kind of a silly question, I know. But I find the mikes

Ciao, Gabybon
 Apr 28 2005, 01:38:03 PM
Brava, Mistress! Wow, what an accomplished community of posters we have on this board...breaking the stereotype of the monoglot Philistine-American daily. Color me impressed. Have you (or has someone else) posted translated synopses of the Italian songs yet?
re: I Saw The Light in the Piazza Today!
 Apr 28 2005, 02:51:31 AM
Excellent review, Auggie. I think many people who left the theater disappointed with Piazza feel somehow slighted for similar reasons. And you said it very well: "...it keeps preparing us to have our hearts broken, to feel something soaring, transcendent cathartic..."

I think though, in fact, Piazza does accomplish this, but subtly. I can imagine what it might be like to be a mother in the situation Victoria Clark's character is in. It does break the heart to learn what she reveal

re: I Saw The Light in the Piazza Today!
 Apr 27 2005, 08:02:20 PM
Piazza's music, while rich and hauntingly beautiful, isn't the kind of catchy stuff you're going to be humming and snapping your fingers to when you leave the theater. The set/scenery/lighting is evocative, gorgeous, memorable, but there's no spectacle to hit you over the head. The performances are human, not over-the-top or in-your-face. The story is graceful, low-key, not overly melodramatic, not gothic, not a rollicking hoot.

For these reasons, and many others, Piazza just isn't w

re: Kristin Chenoweth at Gay and Lesbian Center
 Apr 27 2005, 05:52:51 PM
Robertson has a right to do it. It's just not right to do it.
re: Dirty Rotten Record Giveaway
 Apr 27 2005, 05:42:13 PM
Thanks for posting those, Smartpenguin...they're great!
re: Dirty Rotten Record Giveaway
 Apr 27 2005, 02:19:31 PM
I'm surprised everyone didn't have 9, given all the requests from people on this board who couldn't make it to NY.

Kinda funny how some people turn rabid when they're getting something for free.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You