News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for SeanMartin2

Member Name: SeanMartin2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

100 Most Historically Significant Musicals? (Corona/theater education related help needed)  Mar 16 2020, 11:19:12 PM

"Very Good Eddie" was not the first "successful book musical". That accolade belongs to "The Pink Lady" from 1902, which may now be forgotten but in its day was a success on the scale of Phantom today. It was one of the first to fully integrate song and script — you can only take out one number and perform it alone; the rest are dependent on the libretto giving them a framework. At its height there were no less than four touring productions, and the star&#3

New Broadway Theater  Dec 20 2019, 05:39:13 PM

PatrickDC said: "Here's a question: If you were the architect and/or designer for a completely new and modern theater, with a generous footprint and money-is-no-object approach, what new elements would you include? And what current elements would you change or delete?"

First off, dynamic seating, so the space can be reconfigured from standard proscenium to thrust to in the round by moving the seating platforms as needed, with a stage itself that has a built in elevator system that's constructed on a grid system so you can do anything from a single actor to a complete set.

Second, a flexible fly grid that can work to the needs of the seating as well as the production, one designed so a section can actually turn 90 degrees as needed without changing the rest of the grid structure (I've seen something like this in Paris, and it's pretty awesome.).

From there? A space that isnt completely dependent on head mics but allows a more natural sound by a judicious use of microphones around the performing area. Decent sized changing rooms (How do any performers get used to those little closets?). Proper backstage maintenance space for both sets and costumes. 

I'm sure there's more, but that's a start.

CATS Film Adaptation Thread  Dec 20 2019, 04:41:33 PM

LOL — sure it's not.

Forgive the eyeroll. It's just a tic, I assure you.

WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread  Dec 20 2019, 04:40:27 PM

Impossible2 said: "So first we accuse Ivo of repeating the same theatrical tricks and tropes over and over again and now we are to believe that he has stolen his entire style from some random German theatre company?

Ok...
"

The Komische is hardly "random". Maybe you should learn a bit about these things before posting about them? Just a suggestion, you understand. I mean, I realize you're a whiz-kid when it comes to f

WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread  Dec 20 2019, 03:17:46 PM

Sutton Ross said: "It basically is!"

It does make you wonder how much he... uhm... lifted from that production for this one.

The Komische production was amazing, by the way: two and a half hours of raging testosterone, with performers who were incredible to watch. I dont know if there's a full video out there of it, but I hope so. I left the theatre exhausted. 

CATS Film Adaptation Thread  Dec 20 2019, 03:13:54 PM

Impossible2 said: "SeanMartin2 said: "Impossible2 said: "SeanMartin2 said: "Impossible2 said: "Gorlois said: "BrodyFosse123 said: "Based on Hooper continuing to apologize for the CGI work, expect work to continue on it. There definitely will be an entirely different design for the DVD/Blu-ray/Digital release.

He said in an interview they were still doing tweaks to the CGI hours before the film’s premiere the other

WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread  Dec 20 2019, 01:54:37 PM

Wait a minute. This all sounds like a reheated version of the one the Komische Oper in Germany did in 2014.

MEAN GIRLS To Welcome Social Media Star Cameron Dallas For Four Week Run  Dec 20 2019, 01:43:31 PM

Literally thousands of very capable actors, and they bring in this dweeb?

Wow. Welcome to the future of Broadway.

Bee Movie Musical to Winter Garden?  Dec 20 2019, 01:15:54 PM

Ado Annie D'Ysquith said: "Who on God's green Earth paid money to actually buy that domain?"

Pfft. You can pick up a domain for ten bucks these days. 

And thiis was probably some high school kid who thought himself o so clever.

Toronto Tour of "Hello. Dolly" cancelled  Dec 20 2019, 01:13:29 PM

sabrelady said: "That would only be relevant if they were non citizens, trust me if u r a US citizen u has to go back to the USA sometimes even if u don't want to!"

Not necessarily. Even US citizens have been told that coming back into the US could raise all manner of issues, mostly having to do with Canada's more generous pot laws. Or, in other words, "Sure, you can come back, and we'll be waiting for you with an arrest warrant when you do.

Bee Movie Musical to Winter Garden?  Dec 20 2019, 10:11:17 AM

Y'know, if you want a joke like this to work, you have to do much, much better.

Toronto Tour of "Hello. Dolly" cancelled  Dec 20 2019, 09:41:13 AM

rosheider said: "Perhaps the old arrest record of a notable has put the kibosh on thisCanadian leg."

Possibly, but more likely maybe one (or some) of them was told that if s/he went into Canada, then coming back to the US would be problematic. US border agents are being very, very weird these days.....

Modern The Sound of Music  Dec 20 2019, 09:38:29 AM

Globefan said: "What other musicals can get a modernization?"

A recent London production of SWEENEY moved it to the Depression era, and it worked amazingly well.

I would imagine CAROUSEL could also get a modern-day approach, since it deals with issues that are (sadly) still part of our culture, like spousal abuse and racism. And it would be great fun to see a MAGA-era production of CABARET.

CATS Film Adaptation Thread  Dec 20 2019, 06:34:54 AM

Gorlois said: "You’re right, nobody really cares about dance choreography in animation (I *think* the only time I’ve seen it used extensively is Don Bluth’s Anastasia).But oftentimes the best movie musicals are radically transformative. Perhaps the ideal Cats would have been an animated version that abandoned thedancing and instead focused on producing stunning visuals? Maybe they could have turned Cats into a modern day Fantasia?"

Well, I suffered

CATS Film Adaptation Thread  Dec 20 2019, 06:22:58 AM

Impossible2 said: "SeanMartin2 said: "Impossible2 said: "Gorlois said: "BrodyFosse123 said: "Based on Hooper continuing to apologize for the CGI work, expect work to continue on it. There definitely will be an entirely different design for the DVD/Blu-ray/Digital release.

He said in an interview they were still doing tweaks to the CGI hours before the film’s premiere the other night. WTF?
"

Why would they spend

CATS Film Adaptation Thread  Dec 19 2019, 04:26:44 PM

Impossible2 said: "Gorlois said: "BrodyFosse123 said: "Based on Hooper continuing to apologize for the CGI work, expect work to continue on it. There definitely will be an entirely different design for the DVD/Blu-ray/Digital release.

He said in an interview they were still doing tweaks to the CGI hours before the film’s premiere the other night. WTF?
"

Why would they spend more money when this thing is already expected to bomb?

CATS Film Adaptation Thread  Dec 19 2019, 03:35:12 PM

bfreak said: "While in no way am I saying Cats is going to be a blockbuster, for all the titles listed, it’s the worldwide total gross that’s important, not just the domestic numbers. The Lion King and Venom especially were both huge moneymakers for their studios."

Just remember that the marketing costs for a film are based on US expenditures, not worldwide ones. That cuts even deeper into the overall costs because of things like dubbing, translated ads,

CATS Film Adaptation Thread  Dec 19 2019, 03:13:27 PM

Impossible2 said: "Recently, The Lion King remake got pretty trashed and is the 2nd highest grossing film of the year world wide. Venom got trashed and did almost a billion, Batman V Superman, Suicide Squad did the same. All the Pirates sequels got trashed and nearly all of them did over a billion. Bohemian Rhapsody got pretty average reviews and did almost a billion. The entire Transformers franchise. Twilight, the list is endless."

Well, let's look at the n

CATS Film Adaptation Thread  Dec 19 2019, 09:53:59 AM

bear88 said: "I don't think West Side Story will affect anything unless it underperforms, because the source material is so famous, and any success it has will be written off as unique to the show itself and Spielberg."

His track record of late hasnt been the best (Ready Player One had a 175 mil budget and only did 134 mil US gross — yes, 134 mil is a lot of money, but it's not making back the production budget), and, given his revisionist take

CATS Film Adaptation Thread  Dec 19 2019, 01:51:02 AM

chernjam said: "SeanMartin2 said: "Thing is, folks, that you know that tonight some producer is running the numbers for that proposed film version of FOLLIES or WICKED or KINKY BOOTS and asking him/herself if it's really worth it. Every time we seem to be getting a nice spate of film musicals, something comes along to trainwreck it — seemingly bullet-proof material like PHANTOM or THE PRODUCERS is released, and they're disasters, financially and creatively &mda

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You