News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for bwayinaus

bwayinaus Profile Photo
Member Name: bwayinaus
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

The Next Rose?
 Dec 24 2021, 07:42:54 PM

For me, Toni Collette is the only option!

THE BOOK OF MORMON Reopening Night Thread
 Nov 11 2021, 07:43:19 PM

Saw the fan performance in London tonight. Seems all the changes mentioned here have also been implemented in the West End.

Another change I noticed was the line in I Am Africa “A monkey with a banana” has been changed to “Papayas and a banana”

What Was The Worst Musical You Saw
 May 17 2020, 06:36:27 PM

Saw Bat Out of Hell on the West End. Only time I’ve ever left a show during intermission! Awful!

Kinky Boots White-Washing
 Apr 11 2019, 04:37:18 PM

Not sure the afro wig was a great choice...

Apr 11 2019, 02:44:21 PM

In other countries, Lola isn't black. Does her race play into the story much? Isn't it more about their difference in class? (i haven't seen Kinky Boots in years so I cant really remember)
"

I don't think it does so much, other than a few lyrics in Land of Lola, which I think could be easily changed. A lot of people are still very divided and upset though it seems

Apr 11 2019, 02:42:36 PM

Plannietink08 said: "Also. There’s already been a white Lola in Sweden."

Was this production performed in Swedish or English? Do you know what they did in regards to the lyrics in Land of Lola?

And like Je suis ooh-wee that's me **Ebony**
I am Lola

Got Ginger Rogers' savoir faire
With the moves of Fred Astaire
**I'm Black Jesus, I'm Black Mary**
But this Mary's legs are hairy<

Apr 11 2019, 02:37:56 PM

Definitely not, just interested in peoples opinions.

Chose white-washing in the title, because its the word being thrown around a lot on facebook today in regards to this.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the casting as it's an amateur production, and I think the story should still be told. 

Apr 11 2019, 02:28:24 PM

An amateur theatre company in Melbourne, Australia has caused great divide regarding the casting of a caucasian actor in the role of Lola/Simon in their production of Kinky Boots. Here's a statement they've made:

CLOC acknowledges and understands that there are some concerns in the community about the casting process and choices made for our current production of Kinky Boots.

CLOC has a long standing 'blind casting' policy for all roles

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You