News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

What Was The Worst Musical You Saw

What Was The Worst Musical You Saw

Malinda5000
#1What Was The Worst Musical You Saw
Posted: 4/7/20 at 5:26pm

Hello you all...I am hoping that you and your family are safe and sound  during these unfortunate times.

I was asking what musical you saw that was so terrible that you walked out or just felt you waisted money or became angry or whatever???

For me it was Applause all the way back...in 1970. I won't go into why I thought it was awful. A few years later I saw Sugar another stinker. In recent years it's been Tarzan, Women On The Verge and The Cher Show..but the Worst for me was a musical called Is There life After High School back in 1986 I believe.  I left after the third number.

Anyway... please share. Thank you.

Updated On: 4/7/20 at 05:26 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2What Was The Worst Musical You Saw
Posted: 4/7/20 at 5:29pm

Worst as in “God-awful with absolutely zero redeeming features such as being so-bad-it’s-good”? That would be BKLYN.

MollyJeanneMusic
#3What Was The Worst Musical You Saw
Posted: 4/7/20 at 5:45pm

I'd say Mary Poppins.  The music was very obviously attempting to catch that lightning-in-a-bottle magic of the Sherman Brothers, and it didn't work.  I personally feel that Mary Poppins Returns actually got closer to that magic.  That being said, the technical effects were pretty great, and it'll always have a special place in my heart as my first Broadway musical, so even if it's the worst musical I've seen, it's definitely not the worst one in the world.

"I think that when a movie says it was 'based on a true story,' oh, it happened - just with uglier people." - Peanut Walker, Shucked

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#4What Was The Worst Musical You Saw
Posted: 4/7/20 at 5:47pm

Lestat and Scandalous.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#5What Was The Worst Musical You Saw
Posted: 4/7/20 at 5:47pm

Funny - seeing “Mary Poppins” on broadway originally I absolutely hated it. I thought it was just a miserable 12 hours (or however long it dragged on for). But seeing the revival in London a few months ago, I ADORED it. Whatever they did to it, they just made it so great. Maybe one day it’ll open back up and I can get to see it again.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#6What Was The Worst Musical You Saw
Posted: 4/7/20 at 5:57pm

My daughters would say "Cats", mine would be "Good Vibrations" which my lifelong Beach Boy fan brother dragged me to see.

Broadway Buddy
#7What Was The Worst Musical You Saw
Posted: 4/7/20 at 6:07pm

Lightning thief. Could not stand that show. Was about to walk out at intermission. I like the music more in act 2 so I’m glad I stayed around, but once was enough. Glad I got cheap rush tickets, but I would’ve been fine not going at all.

BwayLB
#8What Was The Worst Musical You Saw
Posted: 4/7/20 at 6:12pm

I would have to say Xanadu because the self parody elements were too over the top. But the ELO music was fun

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#9What Was The Worst Musical You Saw
Posted: 4/7/20 at 6:24pm

Escape to Margaritaville was pretty horrendous and pandered way to much to the parrot head fan base.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

smallworld Profile Photo
smallworld
#10What Was The Worst Musical You Saw
Posted: 4/7/20 at 6:41pm

Blood Brothers. I saw it regionally and although the cast did their best, it was a steaming pile of crap.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#11What Was The Worst Musical You Saw
Posted: 4/7/20 at 6:45pm

"Wonder.land" at the National Theatre in London - perhaps the worst piece of theatre I've ever seen, musical or otherwise. 

amiyagi
#12What Was The Worst Musical You Saw
Posted: 4/7/20 at 7:04pm

Mary Poppins is high on my list as well, along with Catch Me If You Can. However, the only show I've ever left at intermission was Chicago. To be fair it was a tour production, but it was atrocious. 

bwayobsessed
#13What Was The Worst Musical You Saw
Posted: 4/7/20 at 7:08pm

On Your Feet

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#14What Was The Worst Musical You Saw
Posted: 4/7/20 at 7:16pm

Baby, It’s You!

gibsons2
#15What Was The Worst Musical You Saw
Posted: 4/7/20 at 7:25pm

Cats.

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#16What Was The Worst Musical You Saw
Posted: 4/7/20 at 7:26pm

Joan of Arc: Into the Fire at the Public. One of the rare theatrical experiences when I had to look around to make sure everyone else in the audience could possibly be seeing what I was seeing.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#17What Was The Worst Musical You Saw
Posted: 4/7/20 at 7:41pm

A relatively obscure - and yet strangely infamous - disaster entitled Band in Berlin; 1999.

FosseTharp Profile Photo
FosseTharp
#18What Was The Worst Musical You Saw
Posted: 4/7/20 at 7:42pm

The Bodyguard. I saw the National Tour with comped tickets and it was laughably bad..... but I will say I was entertained and not bored.

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#19What Was The Worst Musical You Saw
Posted: 4/7/20 at 7:48pm

The worst for me was Big. Saw it the weekend of the Tony Awards. I guess I was a little loud at intermission when I said to my partner. "This is the worst musical I have ever seen." Woman in front of us turns around and says. I Guess you didn't see Passion. Funny to still think of her comment. :)

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.
Updated On: 4/7/20 at 07:48 PM

Alex Kulak2
#20What Was The Worst Musical You Saw
Posted: 4/7/20 at 7:53pm

Twisted: The Untold Story of A Royal Vizier.

NOT the original Starkid production that's on YouTube. I like that one a lot. I saw a fringe group at my university do it, and it was so much worse. In addition to some problematic backstage stuff I heard secondhand, I think Starkid shows lose their charm when they aren't done by the original ensemble.

Sebby150
#21What Was The Worst Musical You Saw
Posted: 4/7/20 at 7:54pm

Be More Chill. I’m glad I only paid $10.

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#22What Was The Worst Musical You Saw
Posted: 4/7/20 at 8:03pm

Huss417 said: "The worst for me was Big. Saw it the weekend of the Tony Awards. I guess I was a little loud at intermission when I said to my partner. "This is the worst musical I have ever seen." Woman in front of us turns around and says. I Guess you didn't see Passion. Funny to still think of her comment. :)"

I only saw the heavily revised 1998 non-Equity tour.  Wonder if it was better than the Broadway version.

Falsettolands
#23What Was The Worst Musical You Saw
Posted: 4/7/20 at 8:07pm

In Transit

UncleCharlie
#24What Was The Worst Musical You Saw
Posted: 4/7/20 at 8:08pm

Back in 2007, Signature Theater off-Broadway presented a Charles Mees work, Queens Boulevard (the Musical). It remains the worst professional production of a play or musical I've ever seen. No fault of the actors. I had and have seen many of them in other productions in which they were quite good. The musical was just a steaming turd that could not be polished.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#25What Was The Worst Musical You Saw
Posted: 4/7/20 at 8:08pm

An American in Paris. Godawful

Videos